DFAM mind melting thread

Top find, thanks for posting

Here’s one of mine. Bit rough. DFAM sampled into OT, along with Cicada feild recordings.

3 Likes

nice use of DFAM by Mylar Melodies here.

5 Likes

Seems like I haven’t posted the acid-set I did on the DFAM + OT in september this year.
OT as brain, Norddrum to trigger the DFAM, Echosystem and a Boss Distortion Pedal.

5 Likes

This thing absolutely rules.

8 Likes

How do you sync it with the Elektron?

1 Like

The DFAM doesn’t have MIDI so you need a trigger/gate to sync it. If you have an A4 you’ll have CV outs to achieve this. Otherwise, a device like the CV-OCD is required. Converting MIDI to various CV. I don’t have one but would love one :). I just use the A4 or the sync from my ERM Multiclock.

2 Likes

Thank you! Very useful to know.

1 Like

The baller way to do it though is to have a channel of A4 CV sending 16th note triggers to the DFAM advance/clock in, and then having those triggers at like 50% probability, so the pattern length and timing is randomized. That combined with the patch shown above makes ever-evolving chaotic awesomeness.

4 Likes

If you have a little spare synth of any kind you can create a click that triggers the DFAM. This synth could be controlled by an OT for example. Means you get all the amazing midi sequencing the OT can do on a device with “only” 8 steps. Polyrhythmic stuff on the DFAM is mad science! Just saying…

4 Likes

If you have an OT you can use the CUE outs after sampling the trigger noise. Been having a blast with the new live adjustable conditional trig update. Otherwise a MIDI to CV converter unless you already have an A4.

2 Likes

A spare synth can be your Midi to CV converter.

1 Like

Aww man…the DFAM has this certain timbre, just gotta love it! :blush:

Cool track btw, nice ‘driven’ sound. Great! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Thank you- I have the Rytm I could use the impulse from one of the output.

2 Likes

Thank you, this is useful to know

nice

I’m interested in this. Could you explain a bit more about this technique or do you have a demo of it in action? Cheers

DFAM with a big bold square bassline into its delicious filter :

http://www.instagram.com/p/CJyftSGKqEK/

4 Likes

sorry, no demo.
I recorded a short snippet of the trig out directly from DFAM to OT (tempo on fastest setting)
then i created a sample chain with different (1-8) amounts of trigs
(just zoom in and count the trig signals )
I use the cue out of one OT track to send these signals to the DFAM (advance clock)
(DFAM sequencer must be active/running)
so in slice mode you can decide how many steps of the DFAM sequencer you skip:

1 trig plays next step
2 trigs skip one step
…
8 trigs play the same step

I created one sample chain with this arrangement:
4 5 6 7 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 (or similar like that)
Idea was to have the 8 in the middle (plays same sound)
and to jump left and right in the sequence of the DFAM with the trigs left and right.
I gave that up, not only that requires too much thinking for
my little brain, the signal wasn´t fast enough to not get “flams”. hope thats the right word, I mean you could hear and see that it´s more than one trig on the DFAM. only worked OK for “softer” sounds.
I never tried to get the samples faster, maybe it´s possible to
get the flam away ?

So I gave that up, but I use the sample chain with 1 2 3 4…trigs a lot to skip steps on DFAM
to get different seq lengths or do other experiments (better say accidents).
of course DFAM doesn´t reset, so you have to set it manually
everytime you start OT.
depending on how you program the OT that works rocksolid !
pattern changes, different rhythms, no problem, you only have to take care of the trig count on the OT.

4 Likes

Hey, I’m new here and like the stuff you all post here. I bought the DFAM a month ago and considering buying a second one :smiley:

4 Likes