DFAM mind melting thread

Recorded industrial techno using the DFAM and a few cymbals from the TR-8

10 Likes

Banger!

Anyone experience with the E-RM Modular Whip? Itā€™s a Midi to CV clock adapter. Usually used for E-RMs own clock device, but I want to connect my TR-8 directly into the DFAM

Been a while, hereā€™s a 30 min jam.

Distortion pedals do wonders. Acts like a filter/compressor as well.

Signal chain is too complicated to type out on mobile. If you are interested just ask!

All sounds from DFAM, guitar pedals, Blackbox, and A4.

@manolo itā€™s no Techno System but I figured youā€™d enjoy this.

13 Likes

Interested!
Find a keyboard, shi!s of the hookā€¦

1 Like

Alright here we go:

BPM 110.

A4 Master. 1 CV (A) out (5V) straight to Bottom DFAM Trigger IN. No run button selected. Just a single trigger over and over again. Trigger OUT from Bottom DFAM to Top DFAM Trigger IN.

A4 CV track is using an ARP. Gives it that rumble groove.

Bottom DFAM -> Seymour Duncan 805 -> Earthquaker Devices Plumes -> Polara Reverb Left IN
Top DFAM -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay -> REVV G4 -> Polara Reverb Right IN

Polara Reverb stereo out into Blackbox.

Blackbox compressor on.

Blacbox -> Digitone L/R IN. Slight Chorus. Panned to Center (essentially Stereo SUM to Mono).

Digitone into A4.

A4 sound over USB to laptop (Carbon x1 6th Gen running Ubuntu 20.04).

All streamed using OBS! Stream was auto recorded on Twitch. I downloaded the vid and uploaded to YouTube.

Digitone is triggering the kick and snare via MIDI for the Blackbox.

A4 comes in with just a single track (detuned bass line that comes in and out).

So essentially 3 mono sounds (2 DFAMs, 1 Analog Bass with random ARP on A4), a kick, and a snare.

Ignore cables as always ā€¦

The distortion/gain pedals were not specifically chosen for the DFAMs. I do play guitar so the pedals were just something I was curious to try out.

5 Likes

Before buying I checked many of the videos in here ha.

and here is the result of your videos, a new purchase :slight_smile:

I had it for like 10 minutes and never used modular gear before so itā€™s all pretty new

6 Likes

Justice from France would be very proud of yoursound. :exploding_head::sunglasses:

2 Likes

@blakewalt Always glad to see another new owner. Itā€™s quite the machine!

@Andreas_R I guess it runs in my blood then :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I have a multiclock and a few whips from it and the midiclock, arenā€™t they passive devices and the midi/CV data switch happens instead in the engine of the multiclock?

I do not believe you can use the whips to ā€œconvertā€ MIDI to CV out in devices that arenā€™t a specific design of E-RM clock.

I can look up how theyā€™re wired and how the MIDI outs are wired on E-RM devices to detect and switch from MIDI out to other clock (or run them simultaneous?)

At worst you will not get any clocking detected by the DFAM.

You may want to try Ableton + CV Tools or if you have any other Euro, something like the Erica Synths MIDI to Clock V2.

I do have a spare USB-powered DIY Mutable CVPal, if I can figure out sending clock from it, it might be a solution for you. Itā€™s small and cheep.

Edit: Mutable Instruments | CVpal - User manual seems it, considering receive channel 12.

Earned yourself a new sub hereā€¦

Could imagine having a beer and a head-nod on a dance floor to this, sounds really nice. I like this super repetitive industrial dark distorted style.

Owned the DFAM myself but didnā€™t gel with it.

Nice work, man!

2 Likes

Itā€™s ok, you have a techno system now!

Thanks for checking it out :tada:

Definitely interested in DFAM setup and signal chain relating to it.

1 Like

Here you go! DFAM mind melting thread - #549 by selfup

Seems this thread got some good life back into it so I totally understand the post getting lost.

1 Like

Just put this short noisy album out and itā€™s very DFAM heavy; it figures on every track, though most prominently as the main percussion on tracks 1, 4, and 5. And since this is the Elektron forum, thereā€™s also a fair bit of M:S to fill things out throughout.

2 Likes

Wow this is greatā€¦ sounds like it could have been right off of Anima. Lovely vocal production.

2 Likes

Thank you! I thought my last jam(not this one) with the DFAM was not so Thom Yorky but it seems I was wrong (If I believe the comments). It seems I canā€™t help it haā€¦

1 Like

My last jam with the DFAM is this one btw

11 Likes

Nice stuff. How much extra sound and processing is going on in the DAW?

the WA-87 compliments your voice very, very well!

1 Like