DFAM mind melting thread

I was joking, I’m cool with it.

1 Like

Well, knowing your overall tone across this forum, that was what I thought :wink:
Would totally get the track at BC though (those distortions deserve better audio than opus encoding :stuck_out_tongue: ).

@Microtribe can you pass me your YT profile please ? (also: dick yourself)

1 Like

Nope. You dont deserve it

DAMN…! That’s nice…

1 Like

Currently gasing over quad swarm and dfam… which one to get first ? (assuming stock, ahahah…)

1 Like

Depends what you want it for and what you’re using it with.

The DFAM is monstrous, you can play with it all day with minimal other gear and have a non stop laugh with it, but it also plays well with other stuff.

The QS is a slightly different prospect, as it sounds pretty shit on its own, quite weak and a bit thin, but it plays sooooo well with other gear. Build quality leaves a fair bit to be desired though. Spring reverb is really well integrated into it as well.

With the sequencers being quite similar, they do play really well together, so the answer is clearly to buy both, but I’d get the DFAM first, it’s more versatile and just feels better to use. The QS is more the icing on a cake, where the DFAM is the fucking cake.

2 Likes

Thanks for listening.

I kinda felt like that one was a bit of a failure, but just goes to show that the artist is no judge of quality.

Teaming with loquelic/viol ruina (and other modules), Model:Cycles, Digitone… basically food for my blackbox in a hard techno style. I have plenty of tools for hard tones but they tend to be a bit more tricky to get a good bottom. DFAM could help here maybe.

Build quality leaves a fair bit to be desired though

At this price point, nail in the coffin for me.

The low end of the DFAM is as big and deep as you’d expect from a Moog, and the osc sync and FM are mental, especially when you start modulating the FM amount. I do find that the DFAM benefits from some distortion and a little EQ, but it doesn’t need it, I just like it.

The thing about the QS is it’s one of those synths that is almost great in spite of itself. There’s a lot of things about it I don’t like (build quality, tiny knobs, squiggly lines, shitty touch plates) but it manages to pull off the same trick as the DFAM of being way more than the sum of its parts. It helps that I’m using it as a midi to CV for the clock from my OT.

1 Like

Indeed… that left me frustrated in the past but hey… that’s how it goes.

Your excellent tunes plus this 30’ solo sold it for me… Just ordered one. I never wanted a Moog synth before.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t really like the “Moog sound” but DFAM is different.

1 Like
14 Likes

Another banger… Wild&Raw.

Compared to all the dull promos are receive… fresh air.

1 Like

Thanks.

I almost feel like I can’t really take much credit. I’ve got everything all patched up and into my OT now in such a way that I just turn it on and bangers fall out with minimal effort. This one is the result of 15 minutes work at 1am this morning.

Proper live improv skills are within my grasp!

3 Likes

Cracking tune. Same setup as before?

1 Like

Yep, setup and patch are now pretty much final.

So that’s the lyra, OT and modular setup (Erica stuff, DFAM and Swarm)? It’s a great sound you’ve put together.

1 Like

Yep.

The special sauce is the FSS Gristleizer VCA that I’m running the DFAM through, really adds a lot of stank.

That and a lot of OT compressor.

1 Like

OT comp is no joke. Even though it doesn’t have the HPF or sidechain facilities of the other Elektron compressors, OT’s comp is my favorite of the bunch. Most of my OT scenes adjust the threshold or ratio in some way or another. Ultimate control. Important when you have a wild beast like DFAM or modular to tame.

7 Likes