DFAM mind melting thread

Facts.

2 Likes

This thing is stupidly brutal. Canā€™t believe it went under my radar.

11 Likes

Sounds really good. Dfam is perfect geat lust. Might get one again some time.

Is there like a video on youtube that shows how people use the OT comp in this way? I know how a compressor works, but am having a bit of trouble using it dynamically like that.

Just mess around, smash the ratio right up, drop the threshold so you can hear the compressor moving then crank the make up gain until your ears bleed.

Fiddle with attack and release if you want to be fancy, or get LFOs to do it for you.

Thereā€™s not much too it really. Especially if you want to smash all your dynamics into oblivion.

2 Likes

Wow!! Is this just this dfam alone?!

Nope, kick/hat from TR8S, I wanted to see if it could blend with my stuff.

These are DFAM alone (except gate reverb from bluebox):

This thing is wild for sure. I found it really shines when going through an optodist, but itā€™s already great on its own.

1 Like

Shit! Now I need (=want) an AH :thinking:

1 Like

Nope.
Experimentation is your friend.

Just set aside some time to explore it yourself.

Notice that if youā€™re heavily compressing the master mix, muting the kick is going to make the gain rebound go all out of whack, so try using a scene to bring the kick level down while also adjusting the comp thresholdā€¦ or filter the kick while adjusting comp gain makeup, or any other means to the same end. Get creative and make these solutions your own. Thatā€™s the key to having your own sonic signature.

Videos can be inspirational but they can also paint you into a box with the OT. The best things the OT can accomplish are the things that you discover through your own exploration. Not only will they make you sound more unique, but the discovery is more rewarding than investing 10 minutes to watch a video.

I donā€™t make instructional videos of the OT because I think that sells the OT short. Iā€™d rather inspire people to explore the possibilities of the instrument on their own. Finding gold is a lot more fun when you donā€™t already have the GPS coordinates, because you find so much else along the way.

Also, how that compressor interacts is totally program dependent. Itā€™s going to need different treatment with a DFAM on the inputs than if itā€™s a Monologue or BS2.

5 Likes

Wow! Sounds amazing! What a workflou you prefer? Is it dawless or recorded per track in DAW and totally mixing/mastering in it?

Sry for my bad english

1 Like

Itā€™s all mixed, performed and recorded live into a little Zoom H4n recorder, no overdubs or post-processing.

2 Likes

Pure techno!

3 Likes

I had a listen to this again. Itā€™s high quality stuff. Great textures and sounds. High energy. I donā€™t know if you are looking for constructive feedback, but I would say it needs 1 more idea in there, 1 more motif or riff. Regardless, itā€™s a great advert for the machines you are rocking.

3 Likes

I agree, and Iā€™m almost there, just need a more reliable method for sequencing the fusion system and itā€™ll be complete.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think this is something you really canā€™t even learn from a video, maybe Iā€™m just used to youtube as a crutch instead of trying shit out myself.

1 Like

Which might be a good thing, depending on what youā€™re after, and how you mix.

Totally agree on the abstinence from YT tutorials, experimentation is the way!

Yep. Thatā€™s what I do. Plus the TR8-S has the cheeky side chain if you really need it and a kickass compressor.

2 Likes

Id be interested to hear this on a big system. Just listening at home on my monitors, youve definitely smashed it. Theres something in the high mids I dont like, but that could just be my old ears.

I was interested to learn from my own gigs that heavily smashed mixes sound good at home, but didnt transfer well to big sound systems. I could be totally wrong with your stuff though.

1 Like

Yeah, I have a feeling youā€™re right.

Iā€™ve found that I have to smash the shit out of my mixes to get my recording sounding right, but I suspect Iā€™d have to roll back a fair bit on the Master Compressor on a bigger system.

Thereā€™s a fairly decent rehearsal room up the road with a bigish PA. Iā€™m probably gonna go and book a few hours in there to see how my mixes might translate to a bigger system (albeit still not a massive one, bit it should still give me an idea).

1 Like

Mate thats a bloody good idea if you have access to a bigger system than what you have at home.

Play the recorded version through the system, make some notes, then dick around on your set up. Make some more notes. Then youā€™ll have a very good foundation for your live sound. Youā€™re lucky to have resource like that close by.

1 Like