DFAM mind melting thread

Pretty much exactly the same as the Heat, but it has a little bit more character, the trade off being that it’s only one circuit and has no EQ on it.

2 Likes

Yo this sounds like a street samurai running on wet concrete, being hunted by a terminator.

I think you’ve nailed it, very cool song

3 Likes

Nice. I was tempted with the acid box, but went with the heat in the end. Picked it up today. First impressions, I like it a lot. Very pleased I sold the Digitakt to get a Heat.

1 Like

Did the exact same thing and its a really great box. I use the filters and lfos a lot, very versatile for mangling sounds

Heat is excellent, sounds great. I really liked mine but I felt like I was underusing it (I mostly only used about 2 of the circuits) and I started to find it lacked a bit of the nastiness and character I was looking for. Not that it can’t do nasty, it just wasn’t quite the colour of tone I was looking for ultimately.

The Acidbox is a lot more limited, but Erica Synths really are magicians when it comes to overdriving and saturating a signal in very simple but super satisfying ways. I also prefer the filter on the Acidbox, much more chaos in it.

I’ve traded in a fair bit of versatity and flexibility for simplicity and a sprinkling of chaos, but then I’ve switched to a system where most of my distortion and such is baked into the synths I’m using, so I just needed something that could sit on the master and give me a bit of evil hot glue over the whole mix and the Heat was definitely overkill for that.

1 Like

Heat doesnt really do evil, it does crunch and subtle very well. More geared towards pleasing to the ear sounds, even at extreme levels of gain. For example the preamp on a Behringer xenyx mixer is better at evil distortion than a Heat.

I wasnt aware of just how magical the EQ is on the Heat. My mixer is analogue and has very nice EQs, but man the Heat EQ after the drive, ooof!

I approach distortion the same was I do reverb. Just a touch, in the right places, is all you need.

1 Like

Yeah, I do miss the EQ on it, that really was special.

So good man.

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s the Acidbox vs. OT comp thing but this is my favorite so far, satisfying harmonic crunch on the kick/snare but enough air in the mix to hear subtle details.

2 Likes

Fantastic!

1 Like

Really starting to get the DFAM and Fusion System working together.

12 Likes

Total. Banger.

1 Like

Cheers, I like the mix and the sound design, but I’m not a massive fan of the performance and arrangement, bit boring.

I’m just starting to figure out scenes on the OT though, so things should improve in that area soon enough.

1 Like

Same track, different mix.

I like this one more, which means it’s definitely the shit one.

DFAM kicks are fucking great though.

10 Likes

Yes they are.

3 Likes

Another cracking track. The DFAM kicks are great, as kind of expected, but I also really love the hats in this and your previous track.

1 Like

909 hats continue to be king

1 Like

Yeah, like @Microtribe says, just a bunch of stock 909 hats samples on the OT.
I haven’t even done anything that clever with them, just a bit of compression and some delay/reverb in the right spots and real basic patterns, no plocks or microtiming.

1 Like

The iconic techno hi-hat is an acoustic sample. Oh, the irony…