DFAM mind melting thread

Quick loop with the DFAM :

1 Like

Moog DFAM only - ambient demo ā€“ No talking, just bleeps;
i have the dfam since August of this year, i finally had the time to record something, i really had fun discovering and experimenting, it never sounds the same! For the moment Iā€™m not using it for producing tracks, still need to explore more first.
I also notice that the audio out has a much lower signal compared to my other gear, Iā€™m using the required cable (unbalanced TS type) as described in the manual. I use the Analog heat tru send/return of my mixer to boost the sound, :nyan: also using a looper pedal & effects

13 Likes

In this 2x DFAM jam I use claves and Quadrantid Swarm for melody. Kick is (of course) played by DFAM

8 Likes

Atmos from the DFAM, cheers!

5 Likes

Unfortunately Iā€™m thinking of selling mine. It really is a beautiful piece of gear, but I just canā€™t seem to go anywhere non-techno with it. I donā€™t ever really make straight ahead techno these days, Iā€™m more into minimal/deep house. Some minimal house producers like Mihai Pol or East End Dubs have small modular rigs for making strange percussion sequences or background textures. I was hoping the DFAM could transition to that role for me but Iā€™m struggling.

Does anyone have an non-techno examples of the DFAM that they like? Preferably something house-y? Iā€™m looking for the some inspirationā€¦ otherwise itā€™s going on the chopping block!

@lelderkin

This is a set I did a while back.
https://youtu.be/semeaogvpFU

Defintily not techno, much more downtempo, chill sort of thing. I used DFAM for bass lines. Just bubbling away, way down low. Youā€™ll need proper speakers or decent headphones. I really enjoyed using it like that.

(Did end up selling it in the end though.)

1 Like

Interesting stuff, man, thanks for sharing.

I feel like the Lyra and DFAM are philosophical companions.

Dirty DFAM jam today. Manky times. Fitting for this holiday season.
DFAM, SubH and an A4.

3 Likes

Loving my DFAM. Little Jam with the DNK, DFAM, and OT chopping it up.

8 Likes

Can someone assist me with linking up AR mk2 with a DFAM? I want to use the elektron sequencer to sequence DFAM and I already have cv.ocd. What is the patching that is needed to do this?

Edit: including start/stop.

You can make really cool housy claps with the DFAM:

Also, triangle wave + negative VCO EG Amount is good for melodies. DFAM bass is good for housy basslines.

5 Likes

Last jam for this year! Thank you for giving good advice. Iā€™m sure we can explore more possibilities with the DFAM next year.

12 Likes

this is an ace of a clap! Never tried befor. Just already know that the noise and the hipass filter with some resonance can make some nice hihat shizzle.

Damn dude, that track really melted my mind. Love it.

1 Like

For house/minimal I think the DFAM is great if you sequence it with something else. For minimal sounds I feel like it would be amazing. I like to make really tight decayed sounds and then sample 4 bars of that into my OT and resequence in there.

I would suggest sampling the DFAM and chopping it up to get a house vibe.

What would you suggest sequencing it with?

MPC with a MIDI to 1/8 cable (new MPC Ones just send the gate out and have CV jacks). Or Octatrackā€¦really anything.

Tune created with the patch ā€œTalking Drumā€ from the Users Manual and a triangle wave for the kick. Itā€™s less aggressive and more suitable for minimal, deep tech stuff.

7 Likes

I bought a subharmonicon and a dfam. I am a little shocked of what I can get out of it. Is it true it only contains bird-chilp-sounds and noise?
But seriously: where to start?

Got an offer for a second hand DFAM with the Knob upgrade for 460 euros, does seem like a fair deal? I think Iā€™ve seen some floating around for 400?