DFAM mind melting thread

Super informative thread, I’m thinking about pairing the MPK Mini Plus with the DFAM but waiting to see somebody else working with it first, hoping it could do the same as the BSP but also have keys :slight_smile:

I should mention that I think Im going to stop triggering with the TR8S. I only did that for a specific track.

The TR8S triggers at ±10v, and Moog says it prefers ±5. I called them and they said it should be fine, but I don’t want to overload anything for too long.

I would double check with Akai to see what they use, since I couldn’t find it with a quick google search.

The wonderful thing about Arturia is that they have the Midi Control Center that allows you to adjust all the parameters, including the control voltage.

I just remembered that you should make sure the control voltage is set to ±5 in the Midi Control Center.

Also, there is a setting that makes zero voltage C3, which on default settings, would transpose the octave up.

Thanks for the heads up, I couldn’t find it either, I wrote Akai, hopefully they respond.

Here is the reply, seems like it should be OK :slight_smile:

The CV output range on the MPK Mini Plus is 0-5V.

1 Like

That’s so dope you came back to let everyone know.

And that’s perfect. It seems ±5 is more common.

Love my DFAM and paired up with a Perkons or Herbs and Stones Gentle Wham synth would be awesome fun! Add in melody from a Digitone and off to the races! I like using my DFAM with my Leipzig synth.

I think mines is already set up this way.

I take it using the BSP totally bypasses the DFAM sequencer? No funny business going on? :smiley:

The way Moog sets up the patch bay is that when you patch a cable, it breaks the signal path.

So it depends on how you patch it. If you want to recreate the sequencer, you need to advance the clock by midi to cv.

Then patch velocity to velocity and pitch to VCO 1 or 2.

And gate is trigger I think. I’m not home and don’t have my notes.

Don’t forget, if you call Moog, they will walk you through this as well.

I’m still learning myself, so I hope I’m close to right.

1 Like

I’m wrong about advancing the clock. Midi to cv works with tempo. You could use gate to run/stop where you tigger it to run and stop with a trig on the BSP.

Or it’s advance clock. I’m not too sure.

I have a Mother 32, which handles my clock duties. And the M32 has midi in, so I can sync to outside clock.

But this is what you buy into with semi modular. It’s all about problem solving and experimentation.

Ain’t nothing worse than coming back to a thread where somebody solved an issue but doesn’t say how.

1 Like

DFAM Thing now also has a euro rack version:

My non euro rack version is in the post…patiently waiting for Aussie post, it’s been in the air for 8 days already.

http://thewessens.net/DFAMThing/DFAMThing.html

1 Like

Got my DFAM Thing yesterday, it’s liberating, putting it thru it’s paces here (along with beer n bourbon)

[edit] please ensure you head is secured prior to listening as it may become detached if not properly attached. In short, head blown off/death by DFAM.

[edit 2] step lights on the DFAM now look like kit 2000 from Knightrider…I’ve not tried the ejector seat yet though, Micheal.

2 Likes

Has it been upgraded to „any number of steps“ without hard wire logic bypass design circumvention? :thinking::partying_face::grimacing::wink:

I’m gonna go with yes?

1 Like

Yup, DFAM thing gives you this.

I need to feed my DFAM thru my new AH and see how it sounds.

1 Like

should sound ace, DFAM sounds tops , AH sounds double tops….treble tops combined?

1 Like

So I can set it easily to 7 or 5 step loops now?

Yep…easily, IF you have the DFAM thing.

…with bounce, reverse, odd, even etc. Go nuts!