DFAM mind melting thread

Indeed just need to figure out best way to clock it since no MIDI on DFAM but can clock with modular and still get beef from the AH.

Easiest way I clock it is/was from Roland Tr8s , or LXR02. Not sure if you have either of them.

2 Likes

Found the video on YT. How much is that extra thing?

From Australia to UK was Ā£145 door to door.

Only got mine 24h ago, but seems worth it for now. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Cool I have a tr-08 and will try clock DFAM to it with TB03 and DN for fun.

DFAM thing in full effect here, highly recommended to pair with Digitakt:

Hi,
I am looking for the way to bypass several trigā€™s in DFAMā€™s Sequencer.
When VCA Decay is at high value pitch changes as the sequencer passes new step, even if velocity knob is at 0, which is awesome. But I want to try playing, letā€™s say, only 2 notes with long tail. I have one thought, did not tested it yet, maybe to patch velocity out to the trigger in ?
Do you have any tips on how to get this result ?

ā€¦ if you want to know how it sounds if one randomly puts cables into the DFAMā€™s patchbay ā€¦

2 Likes

@sacguy71

Iā€™d be wary of using the TR8S. Itā€™s cv voltage is Ā±10 and the Moogs are Ā±5.

I called Moog and asked, and they said it should be fine, but they canā€™t vouch for it certainly. And I wouldnā€™t want to overvoltage the circuits too much or for too long.

I would go Keystep pro/Beatstep pro. You can assign the voltage in the control setting in the mcc software

1 Like

Good point and beatstep pro is a way better sequencer for the DFAM anyways to do finger drumming on the pads.

1 Like

When I had one, I triggered my DFAM from my TR8-S. Never had a problem. Ran it for hours, all the time.

Also used the octatrack. Bit fiddly that one. I sampled the DFAM clock out, then used OT to send that signal back in to the DFAM. Required a fuck ton of gain from a compressor if I recall correctly.

Dont own a DFAM any more.

1 Like

Iā€™m thinking of selling my DFAM since my new Rytm does way more and I have modular drums for that part. Also looking to sell my TR-08 but will keep the TB03 love that squelchy acid base.

I love the DFAM so much, I bought a second one.

3 Likes

Iā€™m trying to decide on a sequencer for the DFAM, been looking into the MPK Mini Pus which seems to tick all the boxes Iā€™m looking for. Was previously looking into the SQ1 but the Akai seems more interesting.

Now looking at the DFAM Thing, also looks like a great option. Iā€™m guessing out of the 3, the DFAM Thing would be the most flexible?

Iā€™ve owned both SQ1 & DFAM Thing, I prefer the latter for sure and still have the DFAM thingā€¦ youā€™ll most likely have to wait a couple of months to get one though.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply, the Sonoclast MAFD also looks like an elegant option and I could just sequence it from the Octatrack. Havenā€™t seen so much discussion about it here though.

My god thank you for not using the word weary when you meant wary. That drives me up the wall like no other.

Anyhow, this is purely anecdotal but Iā€™ve triggered the DFAM from TR8S and had both powered on and (mostly) running for long periods of time, say a week or more, on a number of occasions. I suppose a voltage disparity like that could cause issues but Iā€™ve not experienced any.

1 Like

These kind of mistakes usually come from people who donā€™t read much, but hear it spoken. Its funny, but this kinda came up as a plot point in the Glass Onion. Its funny and I wont ruin it, but you should watch itā€¦ classic Rian.

The nature of the problem would be overloading the circuit, and Moog makes things very robustly. But with electronics, the problem would be blowing out the circuit path, which is the device working fine, then it just dies. No warningā€¦ just on then nothing, which has happened to me before in other situations. Or it could add noise to the patch point after burn in over time at the very least.

I think I already know the answer to this question, but would the CV options on something like the Akai Mini Plus be flexible enough to assign the pads to specific steps on the DFAM?

Both the Sonoclast MAFD and the DFAM Thing are great options but after import costs, they are about the same as the Akai. Would be nice to have something with more variety in its usage.

I would advise against the Akai mini plus. Itā€™s not a great controller. And all of these midi controllers with cv outs are usually pitch, gate, and mod with clock.

Your best bet is to sample the individual hits for what you are trying to do. Matter of fact, recording into a daw will get you everything the other devices can do with out the cost.

I know some like to get as much functionality out of the Moog semi Modularā€™s, but they were designed the way they are, with limitations to work around.

For the price of a DFAM and a midi breakout box, you are getting into spending about the same as a Grandmother almost, which can give you all that the dfam or mother32 can do with some clever patching. For the most part.