DFAM mind melting thread

Trying to [quote=“BLKrbbt, post:1086, topic:122618”]
Matter of fact, recording into a daw will get you everything the other devices can do with out the cost.
[/quote]

Agreed, but you still want to clock the DFAM to DAW, for many use cases at least.

With what gear / setup do you want to integrate the DFAM ?

I’ve just bought one of these so i can use the digitone keys (OB mode) to sequence a dfam and subharmon via cv. I plan to run the midi via bitwig so that i can remap the aftertouch in bitwig to whatever cv output is interesting. Sixty Four Pixels CV.OCD Midi to CV Converter Box (Black) + PSU - Elevator Sound

1 Like

Exactly … seems like quite the expense just to add more sequencing functionality to the DFAM. Getting the MAFD shipped will actually be more than a new controller.

I’m currently running the DFAM through a thru track on the OT. I love the sound of the DFAM, especially with the OT effect, I’m just looking to get more syncopated beats out of it. The MAFD seems like the perfect solution, but it’s just so pricey.

Sampling sounds from the DFAM is an option … but, in my opinion, takes away a lot of what makes the DFAM unique.

After doing some more research, it seems as though the MAFD sends ‘micro-pulses’ to the DFAM to advance the step so that they can be played out of sequence, an ingenious solution, but likely something that can’t be replicated with any kind of controller.

I got the CV:OCD to sequence the DFAM and provide more modulation for my small eurorack case with the OT. I often don’t use the DFAM sequencer, just sequence modulate from the OT (so happens I’ve been exploring this for the 1st time over the Xmas hols). Essentially, the DFAM sequencer only sequences pitch and velocity, That’s covered with trigger and note to CV out from the CV:OCD. And then there are 3 CC to CV outputs to play with! If that’s not enough, there’s always stackable patch cables. If you want “standard” tuning of steps, it’s much easier to do sequencing with the OT. But if you want pitch behaviour as on the DFAM sequencer, use CC to CV Pitch instead of note to pitch.

CV:OCD is also useful for sequencing any other modular gear, or even non midi vintage gear, from the OT: You can select the CV ranges for each output.

Hmm, I don’t see it that way. The DFAM sequencer lanes are normalled to pitch and velocity but they have patch points right there, so they can be patched into any of the other inputs on the DFAM, or patched out to other gear/modules.

FWIW I ordered the eurorack version of the DFAM Thing. Being able to take the onboard sequencers further really opens up the possibilities IMO. And it was USD 200 + 16 for shipping, well worth it.

1 Like

And this is a prime example how to not make a dfam sound good for 15 min.

Less is more

1 Like

So much anger over a video that doesn’t take itself seriously anyway. However, there were some cool sounds in it, even more so in her video about the Subharmonicon (made me actually look up prices again …). Someone had to do it! :stuck_out_tongue:

I should have said “by default” or “un-patched”. If you sequence DFAM pitch and velocity from something else, those values and triggers are through put to the DFAM CV outputs.

Nono no Anger😄 But you said it. Just randomly sticking cables in there and randomly turning all the knobs. Hard to listen to at times.

Does someone know of a dfam Video which explores more mild and groove sounds? This beast often is quite technoesque pretty fast but I know It can be sweet.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/Wyx2Mfavf8k and https://youtu.be/3l4V7tIFvVw are a couple i watched recently i found inspiring. I also feel jades video sells the instrument short.

1 Like

Honestly this is impressive what that dude can do with only 2 DFAMs.

7 Likes

I’ve sold a DFAM earlier this year.
But I miss having a DFAM. Also because of this thread haha.

So, since yesterday, I have another one. I will never sell this one.

4 Likes

Guys. GUYS.

WHY THE FUCK DIDN’T I BUY ONE OF THESE YEARS AGO

I have no idea where the last 4 hours went. Now to figure out sync with DT…

6 Likes

Yeah, try this, its one of mine. Live set from one of those stay at home gigs we were doing when we were sensible.

Not exactly mind melting though.

2 Likes

I posted this in the Jamurary thread, but I wanted to share amongst the true acolytes.
I’m really proud of how this came along.

DFAM (of course), Subharmonicon, Mother-32, and of course the Matriarch… andI must say, that stereo field is crazy.

I just released a few albums featuring the Moog DFAM and Subharmonicon. Here are some of my favorite tracks! Dark Ambient and Glitchy Music. I hope you enjoy! :blush:

1 Like

Yeah, I recently got a DFAM as well and have gassed over it for several years and even passed on a decent Moog Fest sale I think in 2019 when the Matriarch was announced. The lack of MIDI was always the deal breaker for me but now I’ve got more gear with CV outs (Hapax and Analog Four). Plus I got it in the Studio 3 pack so being able to patch it with its siblings helps that. I got it on my second setup in my room with the A4, Minibrute 2S, the Studio 3, and they all run into the TX-6 to record into Ableton. I think I’m getting closer and closer to finally entering the world of modular :sweat_smile:

DFAM + 2 shavers

5 Likes

I am absolutely thinking about modules now haha, because there are a few things id love with this bad boy… sequencer quantization, midi clock sync, midi note input (for melodic plucks when i dont want it doing the standard dfam thing anymore), a couple LFOs and maybe expanding the envelopes to ADSR?

I’m in love with the sound, I just need to massage the capabilities a bit before it takes a permanent spot in the system! Right now its standalone/sample fodder/digitakt homie on battery when I don’t wanna dual wield DT/DN

TBH, I wish I’d gotten the Studio 3 setup, or even the 2 with Mother32 as a self-contained system. Too much fun to be had there!

1 Like