Did Elektronauts become "british" these days?! :-D

Indian food is banging.

4 Likes

Is most the Indian food that’s common in the UK from the north?

It’s exactly as Indian as Coronation Chicken, apart from the fact that Tikka Masala is at least regularly made by Indian people, whereas I doubt an Indian has ever made Coronation Chicken.

1 Like

So tikka originated in England? Just like Orange Chicken, Chop Suey, and Crab Rangoons and all the other greatest hits in American Chinese restaurants originated in Hawaii and America?

To be clear I was referring to Coronation Chicken.

1 Like

Love Hugh

:sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Then the aussies took it further… butter chicken . Now that’s crime.

1 Like

I once went to a place that was half an Indian restaurant and half strip club in Scotland. True story.

1 Like

Actual UK residents can correct me, but mostly it’s Punjabi. In London one can get at the incredible diversity of regional cuisines (far better than one can get at the similar diversity in Chinese regional cuisines, for example).

Midlands, but that’s north enough for me.

Edit: Oh you mean the North of India lol - I need sleep…

2 Likes

Depends on the heritage of the guys running the restaurant really.

1 Like

Butter chicken was actually invented in India, in the '50’s. And it is a pretty respectable dish that can be made by most home chefs, unlike a lot of Indian cuisine that requires a huge array of spices and an enormous amount of advance prep (in India mostly done by servants). I am very sensitive to cultural appropriation (I detested “curry powder” for decades, though I have softened that stance in recent years) and I don’t have any complaints about butter chicken. It’s tasty and authentic.

1 Like

In the US, from my experience, the more authentic Indian restaurants are southern although I think all are required by law to have tikka masala on the menu.

1 Like

It’s fucking horrible that suff… I won’t say no to a XL Donner Kebab though :+1:

1 Like

Yes, but chicken tikka masala is great, whereas the American Chinese dishes you mention are awful. (Those have no Hawaiian connection, and as far as I know, Hawaiian food has more of a Japanese influence, with an indirect Chinese influence through dishes like saimin which is a ramen variant.)

How dare you attack my Mongolian Beef!

2 Likes

I think it depends where you are in the UK and what the general heritage is of the south Asian population that settled there.

Unless you’re somewhere like Leicester, Birmingham or Bradford, who all have very large and diverse South Asian populations, so a large and diverse range of restaurants.

But yeah, I guess most of the sort of bog standard “curries” are based on Punjabi stuff.

1 Like

Okay, I can enjoy American-Chinese food on occasion. But too much of it is deep-fried and then smothered in sickly-sweet sauces. (As a Canadian, I have noticed that American versions of processed foods are much sweeter. But there is no shortage of this kind of Chinese food in Canada, also.)

@plragde Next time you are in nyc you must try Indian Table in Carrol Gardens. I believe it’s the only Goan restaurant here. Really good for New York standards.

1 Like

#facts

4 Likes

:joy: