Did it not work out? Prices are going down?

Is it just me or are prices going down hard?

As they were going up I decided to stop buying. When moog startet raising their prices I almost ditched their stuff for lifetime because of almost doubling prices. It seems others stopped buying too.
Everywhere I look prices are going down pretty drastically. The MPCs are down, Syntakt is on Sale, Modular Stuff that went up is down again.
Same thing is happening with Computer Stuff. They raised prices so high, that people just stopped. Now prices going down hard. Rasperry Pi will be available again next year too.

Maybe I´ll sit here and wait for a bit :wink:

2 Likes

Good part of the recent inflation madness is demand driven, but especially with the rate hikes in recent times, it looks like people have been more cautious with their spending, handling their disposable income (if any is left at all) more frugally.

No idea if this is affecting gear prices, it should — but inflation (especially if mediatised heavily) can be a tricky one, sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy even…

4 Likes

There have been some insane sales in Australia recently. Narrowly missed a brand new MKII black Octatrack for $1600 here today. Totally unheard of in the land of hyper-inflated gear prices. So I suspect there’s some panic in retailers given the current economic situation.

1 Like

Let´s hope this madness stops. Raising prices because of raised production cost…ok. But I´am so fed up with stuff like what moog did.

So my demand is out of the equation for the forseeable future :wink:

3 Likes

The synth market is completely oversaturated with gear right now. I expect the shrinking demand to start causing companies to drop out of the market or fold. The lower prices right now probably aren’t sustainable forever.

2 Likes

Normal would be fine with me. Lets call it fair. Don´t want making music making to be an elitist hobby. It´s ok that not everybody can buy an oberheim but I think everybody should be able to afford an elektron Box at some point.

1 Like

Isn’t is possible that this is just the time of year where stuff goes on sale?

24 Likes

Shure shure. But Elektron would not give an 200€ Discount on the Syntakt if Stock weren´t fuller than full.

2 Likes

looks like analogs went up

vs original press release in September 2020

3 Likes

We literally just had Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales. Christmas sales are just around the corner too. Is this thread for real?

12 Likes

Yeah but is anyone really buying them at those prices? I bought a A4Mk2 for 950€ I think 3 years ago. New. Don´t have it anymore. But I would never pay those prices there. Still have a rytm mk2.

1 Like

dunno, sweetwater, perfect circuit having some sales right now but the base price is $1800 for armk2 and $1650 for the a4mk2, and even the sale prices are still higher then the original pricing.
I’m pretty sure people are still buying for full price.

I stopped by the store last night to buy some chicken for dinner. The price was just short of 3x what we paid 8 months ago so I’m not seeing this fabled collapse in inflation rates.

Music instruments are low on the priority list when people are balancing food and fuel costs. Perhaps prices are being slashed because sales volume is less than hoped for.

4 Likes

Prices have gone up due to parts shortages and inflation.

We’re currently in the midst of a Black Friday/Cyber Week etc. event.

Syntakt RRP has dipped since initial launch, which is common for a lot of products. Their older products have seen increased prices because they are now more expensive to make.

If your general plan is to wait for things to get less expensive over time then you might be on the wrong side of history - if you want to get a good deal then now is a good time :+1:

4 Likes

That would have been a steal. Was that price from a retailer?

A recent case is I ordered a Waldorf M on Sunday evening for 1490 euros, on Monday noon it was 1777 in the same (German) shop, matching other shops’ prices. So this one seems to have gone up (but I’m not sure of the price at release date).

Another case is I paid 2599 euros for an OB6 a year ago at Thomann, it is now 2475 (says 2799 regular but that’s bait I think). o this has gone down…

A couple friends and I were planning to get Moogs. When the prices went up we sacked it off completely.

Hardware developers heading into anxiety meanwhile as a user I feel I’m in depression part of the cycle…

3 Likes

Absolutely, and inflation (in addition to the insane QE policies since 2008 coming home to roost) is caused by rising fuel prices, so more expensive shipping. And the US dollar has risen drastically v euro, pound and most other currencies, which partly explains the price hike for Moog and other US gear.

2 Likes

Many retailers and distributors were hoping for a successful Q4 period to refill their bank accounts and clear down loans taken to see them through.

Q4 does not seem to be shaping up as well as many had hoped and the general outlook is doom and gloom for some time.

What will be interesting to see is what the secondhand market will look like in a recession - will prices soar due to high retail costs or will the market get flooded with people selling their non-essential items in a bid to reduce debt or cover their essential costs of living.

1 Like