Digitakt Bubble: Already set to Burst? 04/15/23

Hey, whaddaya know. I found & posted the same CL post here 4 days ago. Who wins the meme war?

In any case, I noticed the same thing going on. The cheapest used Digitakt on Guitar Center last week was one in the city where I grew up. I was back there in December and considered checking it out and buying it at the time. Now it’s gone

This was pretty much what they called “S+S” or “samples & synthesis” in the 80s/90s/00s and exists on many of those vintage samplers. The samples are just waveforms treated like oscillators and the fed through traditional synthesis structure, with amplifiers, envelopes, filters, LFOs, etc. (Sorry if this throwback info is not relevant to the conversation.)

3 Likes

you’re close enough to make the trade without losing the value of transportation, I think you win in several regards :slight_smile:

I have been looking for certain gear so I check those sites pretty regularly and even I was surprised to see the stock just vanish. It’s not like their prices have been that awesome lately, but I think compared to $700 it must have been pretty good.

it’s relevant because sample synthesis is the only type of thing I could see coming from an lektron sampler (other than polyphony) breaking new ground for them even though the z4 and z8 I think are the ones that did it in the 90’s. I’m sure there were others

this is true, but the list I posted is sale prices from last month before the announcement. So therefore that’s what people paid before it became in current demand, I didn’t post anything on that list that’s still available now… therefore next month - looking back at march - we will see if people pay 100 more on average or if the stuff there just sits.

but yes, peoples mentality towards pricing secondhand gear on reverb and then leaving it to sit for 3 years is madness. there is no sanity there.

1 Like

I was shopping vintage samplers last week on Reverb. There is a S900 for $3k, one has never sold for over half that. Most of the high prices do not sell.

Even Behringer stuff that has poor resale value for example.
I can buy a TD-3 new for $159 AUD local. But I can also buy one on Reverb new for $265. I can also buy one used for $258.45 or $250.06… madness.

1 Like

they may have flopped hard in your opinion but they never failed to the point of tapping out… and have always turned it around, there’s a big difference between that and flopping… heck I remember when everybody hated the mpc-2500 but now it’s a loved instrument that the native instruments maschine was attemptedly (no that’s not a word) modeled after/ inspired by… their words.

are you telling me this will be a loved instrument sometime down the road and I’m imagining things?

when a company abandons a product, it is a flop. It’s not like elektron with the machinedrum - they moved on, that’s why they stopped supporting it after so long. this came out basically as an unfinished product and then was no longer on the menu for any kind of support.

there’s a lot of documentation online showing how the company had a new board of directors and wanted to turn a profit, using their existing fanbase and the burgeoning movement to revive analog synthesis, so they started doing things that were not very mpc like in the mp name and released some animal themed analog gear that was scrapped rather fast in the grand scheme of things. Akai as a company makes good things, but their products have been hit or miss for a while. The money can’t be everywhere at once, it’s just a fact.

1 Like

:rofl: , if they ever squash those bugs people will be sequencing that thing from the digitakt as far as the eye can see … but yeah… No

3 Likes

Part of me wants to buy a second Digitakt purely as an investment. Really would love to have one still in the shrink wrap 15 years from now when they’re going for $5,000 and all those pretty little LEDs are starting to burn out.

3 Likes

this sounds like solid advice, I can not lie.

Wow full case study level of economical research and analyzation lol

1 Like

like a shoe stuck in the mud

Exactly! That, but with 8 tracks and the Elektron sequencer.

But yea, feels off topic so I shall say no more.

1 Like

I could see a digitakt mk2 for sure, if mk1 has been this popular they surely will do a hardware refresh down the road , even stuff like larger memory/storage or improvements to IO ala digitone keys with the additional direct outs that would be useful and this software update would be useful there

IDK if the bubble will burst due to the current inflation rates. With rising inflation the DT will only get more expensive. If you look at any of your Amazon orders from 2020/2019 the price of items will have increased.

1 Like

if the digitakt is their greatest success story/seller how could there not be a dt2 in the future?

3 Likes

Same brother, same…

1 Like

Just scored one on ebay for 528€ + shipping! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Weird, how have I missed that? If you change your mind after two weeks ping me haha.

1 Like

a good condition DT just sold for 400 euro on my local synth classifieds today. crazy random cheap price tho. the next one that pops up will be more like 600 no doubt

2 Likes

Here in Spain the average DT price on the 2nd hand market used to be 600 Euros, right before the 1.50 OS update. Now it’s gravitating more towards 700 Euros.
I got mine two weeks ago for 580 Euros.

1 Like