Digitakt modified with internal battery

Good find — I believe it would — but check that it fits! Iirc there’s not that much room behind the circuitboard. From looking at the pictures I posted in this thread a while ago I don’t think this particular board would fit between the case and the circuit board. Maybe with a little riser to clear the lower circuitboard?

1 Like

I like your tape :slight_smile: also, I love the battery mod! I am trying to do that myself but with my DT

thanks I’ll check it out. I bought it anyway and would mod it as needed.

1 Like

Would this work with a 2s bms ,(so 7.2v) on a mk1 octatrack?

So beautiful a digitakt in pure freedom.
Respect to you who dare, just thinking of screwdriver and synth in the same sentence, I’m afraid.

1 Like

A screwdriver is the start of a synth. Put it in the wrong place and it can be the end of one, but they are intimately connected. I’m just glad of the two mods I have attempted the digitakt was successful and the microbrute broke the device and not the other way around. (Although I did kill the red led on the 3 key, but that is small stuff.)

hey did you have any luck with the new stl file for the DN? Anyone else done a successful digitone battery mod?

Just wondering, has anyone tried adding a voltage regulator on the battery output to get a steady 12V? Should be able to drain the battery until the BMS says stop.

This would be a great addition to the mod, but as I understand it would be quite hard to implement, as currently charging and discharging is done via the same two wires.

So you’ll either have to somehow do the charging through this regulator too, or have separate circuits for charging and discharging which will complicate the whole thing a lot.

1 Like

The voltage regulator is already built-in the Digitakt. I don’t know the exact spec but it accepts like 9-14V and outputs steady voltage(s).

2 Likes

Then it’s strange that the digitakt don’t power on if the voltage is below 10V then? I guess I’ll have to take a look at the board to find out. Surely the issue is having the same cable to power and charge, as it will make the circuit a bit more complex to have the regulator bypassed for charging.

I’m also considering using a standard USB power bank with 5V->12V step up regulator, and wiring the charging to the USB port. All to avoid having to carry the built-in adapter, making it easier to recharger using any USB plug.

Hey, just saw this post, so sorry.

I’d be really up for having his done to Octatrack - making it properly portable, and you have a field recorder too!

Yeah it’s annoying, ideally you’d be able to properly wire it up so it wouldn’t refuse to start when charging from low. Problem is for that you need to do much more invasive surgery on the board, at the very least cut the connections from the charging jack to the board, I don’t think many of us are willing to do that.

wait, so until you charge the internal battery to supply 10v you can’t turn the DT on even when plugged in?

was about to do this mod, but tbh might just keep using an external battery in that case…

1 Like

Successful mod on AH MKII. With lower voltage on the battery, the power switch has to be switched on/off back and forth at least twice to power up.

If I’m going to commit I would like to get the longest possible battery charge time

curious to know if using protected batteries will affect the BMS in any way? or if the battery says It has the protection features listed below do I need the BMS board?

This one has 3.6v so x3 = 10.8v? unsure if this will work although OP said they actually charge higher so not an issue?

• 5000 mAh Capacity
  • Multiple Layers of protection
    *** Pressure Relief Valve Protection**
    ** * Separate Microporous Protection**
    ** * PTC Cathodal Protection**
    ** * Protection Circuits in the anode**
    ** * Overcharge**
    ** * Over-discharge**
    ** * Short Circuit**
    ** * Overheat Protection**
  • 7.5a Maximum current
  • 3.6V
  • Charging Current: 1A recommended, 5A Maximum

OR

I get 3 of These at 3.7v so 11.1v

these also are protected but claim 9900mAh from a 18650?

https://nzdiver.com/store/diving-gear/batterty-and-chargers/18650-battery-lithium-battery-9900mah-3-7v-rechargeable-battery.html

Planning on getting one of these with or with out BMS? (using some clearance to fit)

in summary

• Do I need the BMS if batteries are “protected” and do protected batteries negatively affect the function of the BMS?
  • Will 3x 3.6v 21700 at 5000mAh net me more play time?
  • or Will 3x 3.7v 18650 at 9900mAh net me more play time?

sorry if noob questions. I’m close to pulling the trigger but I count too many variables and am looking to get it right the first time without frying anything.

Thank you for all this wisdom so far :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Are 18650s above 3900mah real?
Usually reputable vendors and manufacturers are in the 3400 to higher 3000’s range and I’d be wary even going above 3600mah … I’m looking at this mod myself.

That’s what I was thinking too, could buy one to find out but I don’t have any means to test one atm. It’s from a local hunting/fishing company as opposed to something like Ali express.

Are higher mAh a threat to the Digi boxes? Battery talk is a new venture for me.

I’m going for a recognisable brand from a recognisable tech vendor in the 3500mah range - wary of putting over stated mah inside an elektron incase the battery is dodgy quality- though think I’ll 21700 rather than 18650 as I read the thread more.

That is exactly the case. When charging the battery charger pulls the voltage down to the voltage of the battery. You could solve this with a switch that disconnects the battery, though I don’t know where you would put it.