Digitakt modified with internal battery

thanks… drilling a hole in the case for a switch would make this a bit more of a hardcore mod, not sure I quite have the cojones!

Just FYI, the market for li-ion batteries is a minefield, and it’s overrun with cheap, poor quality cells that have totally meaningless numbers on them. Go with Panasonic or LG, and buy from a reputable retailer to avoid knock-offs. That said, the link you posted looks OK. I’ve not heard of them before, but they seem reputable and are likely just re-wrapped LG cells.

3 Likes

Did the internal battery mod on my MFB Tanzbär as well as my Digitakt. Same battery setup as the Digitakt

5 Likes

I did a stress test and can report that the Tanzbär can run well over 24 hours on the battery!

5 Likes

Hmm… is there a guide how to do this properly with best practice? I don’t feel safe combining those cluttered informations here…

2 Likes

Not definitive, just another perspective on the same job above

I used 3x 21700 batteries, a 3 x battery holder strong-velcro’ed to the base of the digitakt (to avoid soldering the batteries themselves) and a 3S 40A

So far no problems.

3 Likes

Did almost exactly the same, even using holders to avoid soldering to the battery, about 6-8 months ago. Everything is still working a treat.

what kind of battery holders are you using? @mokomo @warpigs330

Would this do?

Thanks

So you want to make sure the holders are for the size battery you get, I think the one you linked is one for disposable batteries, like double a’s.

Heres a link to the ones I used,

I chopped up one of these

search ebay:
6X 20700 21700 Battery Holder Connector Storage Case 3D Printed PEK

Digitakt works as a 3x1,
Digitone 2x1 and 1x1 side by side.

I also wrapped in masking tape to hold the batteries securely (even though quite secure in the holder anyway) before Velcro to the case.

3 Likes

I let my digitone go down under 10.8 and now it won’t charge. So I guess I need to take the battery pack out and charge that separately. Since it’s soldered together how can I charge that pack? what kind of charger do I use?

thanks!

Just turn off Digitone and let it sit with with the charger in for the night. It will wake up after a few hours. It’s just charging slower and not turning on due to protective circuitry disabling it.

Ah ok! Will try. Thanks!

Worked perfectly! Thanks once again :slight_smile:

Okay, so I found the board

but I cannot find 21700 batteries…

would these work?

that is all I would need right?

how should i take this warning?

So I just took apart a rechargeable battery I used to power digitakt.
It looks like 6 18650’s and 2 boards.
The black board looks like a bms someone used above.

Have a look

Fits perfect

How could I test this to find out if I could use it?

2 Likes

Okay I just started a timer!
Let’s see how far it gets!

UPDATE

It ran for 4 hours.
here is the battery i used:

I de-soldered the board with the power switch and usb port and then soldered from the bms board attached to the batteries to my digitakt in the same way others have above. I used longer black and red wires than the ones provided.
My digitakt has been working fine so far, and can be charged from the dc port whether the DT is on or off.
I have to check something with the memory though because i might have messed something up there. I’ll check back in

5 Likes

How about this? It’s a 12.6 volt pack, already built.

Hello im new here and just got a digitone which i would like to upgrade.
I saw the previous post from AKsdnt and came accross this battery pack:
https://dutch.alibaba.com/product-detail/talentcell-rechargeable-12v-6000mah-5v-12000mah-dc-usb-output-universal-led-light-laptop-lithium-18650-battery-60810635240.html

Is this the same one? Or is it a compatible one to fit into digitone

that looks like the same one to me