Digitakt screen defect

Bought a digitakt on thomann and on first look after peeling off the screen protector at first I thought it was my finger prints (even though I hadn’t even touched the screen). But unfortunately those finger prints are inside the screen itself! I will return it for an exchange but wonder if anyone had encountered the same defect before?

P. S. : Definitely finger prints under the screen, so a forensic finger print analysis can find out whose filthy hands those belong to :))

2 Likes

haha CSI vibes. get the sticky tape out :sunglasses:

2 Likes

That’s really annoying. I didn’t had fingerprints yet, but the display was inserted crookedly and had larger gaps. However, that was the case with the Octatrack mkii. Digitone and Digitakt were ok from Thoman. What I also noticed are the new track buttons from the Digitone. They are more translucent. Thoman is very accommodating, they’ll give you a new one right away.

3 Likes

It is.

Thankfully thomann is totally helpful but the problem is I reside in Singapore and the cost to send it back with UPS will be about 100 bucks.

1 Like

Open it
only 6 screws on top
clean it

3 Likes

I thought about it but what about the warranty?

It won’t be visible. You need to remove the knobs. Then you nees to remove the screws on the face if the unit.

There will be two ribbon cables inside, on the top part of the PCB that you should also unplug.

Those are a bit trickier. Be careful with using any sort of tool near them because there are a lot if small SMD components aroud the plugs that could be accidentally knocked off.

Now you can fully remove the front panel. Take out the screws that hold the PCB and now uou have access to the underside of the screen window.

4 Likes

Thanks, and yes I know there is a youtube video of the disassembly. I am waiting an answer from Elektron and Thomann after that I will decide whether I should send it over to thomann for a replacement or DIY.

Had that on a box.

Opened it, wiped it, closed it. No more prints.

1 Like

Ah ok, did’t know that but isn’t it the case that thomann has to pay for the shipping costs in the event of a defect?

1 Like

Probably depends on the region you live in.

Is this pointed out before the purchase?

I’d open it and wipe off the prints, but I wouldn’t trust the average consumer to complete this task, even though it only requires a screwdriver. I’ve worked in customer service too long to expect such things to be pulled off without a hitch. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

they don’t, talked to them.

can do it, just feels odd to open up a brand new gear just because of such a stupid thing. it is just very annoying.

2 Likes

What a shame! But I would really be interested to know if they told you before you bought it or if it’s only in the terms and conditions that nobody really reads…

1 Like

That’s one of those inconsequential things that I would never be able to stop feeling annoyed and disappointed over.

4 Likes

Honestly if you’re comfortable with it then it’s a super simple job, just be very gentle with the screws so as not to leave a mark. But yeah, fingerprints on the inside of a screen shouldn’t really have gotten past Elektron quality control.

1 Like

I get it. and you’re not wrong to feel this way. just remember, it is humans that build these things after all; so they’re not always perfect. just be happy nobody asked you to open up your brand new $4000 Prophet 5 and start removing parts with a soldering iron…

if you do the cleanup, just be careful when you pull the knobs off. they may take more force to pull off than you will feel like is necessary; but you’ll understand this once you get the first one off. just grasp firmly and pull STRAIGHT UP. do not pull to the sides or wiggle them off. (fortunately all the knobs are rubber now. this job was much trickier with the mk1 Machinedrum/Monomachine knobs.)

1 Like

In Europe, opening up a device does not void warranty despite what the companies and retailers tell you. It only voids the warranty if what you do breaks the device and they can prove it. Simply opening the chassis it, cleaning the screen and putting it back together has no effect on warranty.

2 Likes