Digitakt Versus (or With?) Akai Force

Hi,

I bought an Akai Force a few months ago but didn’t really get used to it. Long story short : I came from an almost 100% “computer-based” setup and wanted to get into something “DAWless” and I was thinking about getting an Octatrack. I was finally convinced to buy an Akai Force as it was a smaller “jump” (that allowed me to import my Ableton projects on it, as example, but also that worked like a DAW-in-a-box).

I didn’t use the Akai Force that much cause it’s a bit too large for my small temporary desk. (shouldn’t be a problem anymore in a few months)

I then added a Syntakt to my setup and I fall in love with the Elektron gear (its small size was also really helpful knowing my desk issue).

I almost give up about being “100% DAWless” : My idea is now to keep using my Mac + Ableton to finish (mixdown and final touches) the tracks I want to release (as I used to with my old setup), while I still wanna be able to play live acts without my computer.

That being said; I really would like to add a Digitakt to my setup. I need a sampler and I love what I read/saw about the Digitakt and how it pairs with the other Elektron boxes. I am pretty sure It would give me to opportunity to have some kind of “transportable” setup (Digitakt+Syntakt could sometimes be enough, but I would also love to travel with all my gear - depending of the context)

Do you guys think this will make the Akai Force obsolete ? I don’t like the idead of getting rid of a machine without even trying to master it… But if there is a big overlap between the Force and the Digitakt; that’s a nonsense to keep the Force.

Thanks for your advices!

EDIT Feb. 2023 : I finally bought a Digitakt but didn’t sell the Force (yet) - Still trying to figure out how to make them work together :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you want to play live acts without computer keep the force I’d say, and look into a simple midi controller with faders for it (MIDIMIX Control Surface | Akai Pro is handy althought small)

Things you can’t do on digitakt, but on force:

• sampling in stereo (elektron digitone not so. if you want stereo sampling: octatrack)
  • discstreaming (mega-long-stems, direct from ssd - if you put one into your force, streamed from disc)
  • simple usage of midi gear via usb
  • cliplength as you like, you can launch as you like (on elektron gear: pattern is pattern. eat it or die)

I’d say save your money, learn your gear. You have with those two boxes already a superb live setup.

Another box is just… another box, and you already have an elektron sequencer.
Why not sample the shit out of it into your force?

Here’s your answer.

What made me want the Digitakt is its really small size. A DT + ST setup is really portable/transportable. I’ve seen some amazing live acts with only these 2. (I got a TD3 and a MM2 which are both small; and and Analog Four which is a bit larger too)

In contrast, the Akai Force is really larger.

From what I read from you, the Akai Force is a better sampler than the Digitakt - to be honnest I didn’t buy it for its sampling capacity so I didn’t really explore that part of the beast. The only negative point being its size.

Thanks for your advice ! :slight_smile:

well, not really as I now think I won’t be able to totally get rid of my computer. My Mac with Ableton 11 and overbridge is really appealing when it comes to production only (and not live acts) …

What I meant is does the Akai is still relevant if you go from a DAW to a DAW?

1 Like

I guess this depends on what your actual needs are. So if you NEED it to be portable and have no way to transport or make space for the Force, then it makes sense to sell it and get something that works for you.

However, I don’t think the Digitakt and the Force are really that comparable-apples and oranges really. The digitakt is a great device, that is well documented, but it is nowhere near as deep as the Force.

I’m biased, I’ve had both but I’m now a force user. I’m on my 3rd… I keep selling it and then missing it as it is just so unique, and powerful! Yep it’s a bit big, and it’s not as ‘cool’ as the elektron crew (I think that is part of the forces problem - the MPC has the hip hop crowd, and the Elecktron stuff has the techno, experimental electronic crowd and the Force sits in the middle and get no love at all!)

It’s an amazingly deep sampler (the sample engine is the same as the MPC so that’s got credentials!), it can operate/control/talk to ableton, it’s got some great in built synths and sounds, really powerful arranger mode, deep i/o, great midi and CV control options, the amazing 8x8 pad layout, amazing macro option, clip launching and multi length clip options. It’s a studio and live performance powerhouse and for some reason I think it’s just failed to ‘take off’ in the media, YouTuber world and so flys under the radar a little and isn’t ‘cool’. It is a DAW in a box (or as close as your get) but also a great improvising/jamming device.

Weaknesses-for me the sequencer is the only weakness. It’s ok, but not as good as the elecktons, but given you have a syntakt anyway…… I’d pair the two and be very happy for a long time!!

For what’s it’s worth I use the Force as the hub with a TR8S, microfreak and TD3… I am strongly considering swapping the TR8S (and possibly microfreak) for a Syntakt, but the Force is staying.

1 Like

I really think I am gonna a chance to the Force :slight_smile:

How did this go as currently got a Digitakt but want the DAW like arrangement of the force and use sequencer power of the Digitakt as well with a small hardware setup!

It’s a great combo, also consider you can use the midi channels from the Digi, with probability, random and trig conditions to sequence on the Force, the record the midi clips te voila

2 Likes

sorry I am a bit late to answer.

How did it go ? Now I own both :smiley:

Still dunno what I am gonna do with the Force tbh… I got a Mac Book Pro (M1 wiht 16 Go RAM and 512 SSD) and it brings even more questions…

I really enjoy the Digitakt+Syntakt duo (still didn’t play a jam with the Analog Four added) and still gotta figure out what’s the best live setup I can get…

The only thing I miss with “only elektron boxes” is to be able to add FX per track (and not globaly with sends) but I don’t think the Akai Force can solve that. (if anyone got an idea of how to do it (with the Force or with any other gear !)

I think my only solution is to use overbridge (Mac + Ableton) to get this solved.

I often sample loops from my other gear on the Force, so i can add effects and stuff like that. But mostly because it makes performing and jamming more fun. The macro’s are really powerfull for getting breaks and big changes with only two hands. :slight_smile: Like if i want to tweak filters on several things at once, i set up a macro for that. Controlling TD-3-mo’s filter, M’s filter and cv out to my modular with one knob is fun. And when you set it to momentary it jumps back to the “default” values as soon as you release the knob. Just love it! hehe.

But all this is something you could do in Ableton.

With the Digitakt/Syntakt combo the Force might be of little use, but as soon as you start adding more gear i think it could do a great job as a main hub for everything. But it sure does have its quirks.

That’s what I thought too… I could sample loops from the DT & ST and play them on the Force with some added effects (the loops would habe benefited from the Elektron sequencer); the only thing is that ST&DT would be quite useless for live acts and only used for production purpose…

I currently don’t see a way to bring the 3 on stage and make them usefull.

If you are comfortable with the DT/ST combo that is the way to go. :slight_smile: I always loose track of everything on the elektron sequencers. And love the Force’s visuals. It gives me a good way to know what everything is when jamming.

Ive started “recreating” stuff on the Force so i dont need to use some of the other synths and drummachines when jamming. Like sampling alot of different drumsounds from my TR-8s, so i dont need to use two hands for unmuting stuff while i want to bring in some other sounds. hehe. But its a compromise.

But doesn’t it feel less fun to “just” launch loops from the Force when you could tweak them as hell on the original machines?

Yeah. It does! So thats the compromise. hehe. But i do gain the ability to do several things at once. If you set up some effects and macro’s you can make some big variations, but its different than tweaking on the elektron hardware.

A quick and easy trick is to have a drum break on the B side of the crossfader. And you can quickly just use the crossfader to change up the beat. Add some effects to that, and it starts to get interesting real quick.

1 Like

That is what’s good about the Force though, it is very performative, I’d say more so than the Digi boxes tbh… so you just have to consider how you would set it up for live use with its macros, and then carefully choose how you layer your Elektron sounds into it.

For playing live, if you standardise your Force track layout so it’s consistent (kick, snare, tops, bass, etc) and pre-record your material from the Elektrons, you would have a really powerful live unit in the Force.

The only thing I can’t get past with the Force is its inability to have tempo changes per scene… and it’s not the greatest ergonomically… otherwise it’s fantastic.

1 Like

this, and no warp marker manipulation via the knobs is what keeps me from getting one :frowning_face:

I agree the Force is a live monster and with the right set up and template can be really performative. I like the option of the Force + one other box (a TR8S for me, cold be ST ot DT for you) I think have a bunch of clips, loops, virtual instruments + effects and macros set up on the Force which I can launch, plus live improvise/record new parts etc on the fly, then the extra box coming into the forces audio in so you can also do some live real time manipulation on the ‘second’ box whilst your Force is doing its thing.

Really powerful set up I think. The tempo change per scene is the only thing I think is missing for those that want to vary it up for different ‘tracks’ (scenes)

If you are comfortable with the DT/ST combo though I can see how the Force might be a little redundant. If I was performing live it’s still the way I’d go though, and on top of that with it’s arranger etc it’s also a really powerful production tool.

Im pretty pro Force obviously but I do think it’s a really ‘slept on’ device.

…the only option for an itb background producer to become a versatile live act remains the ot…
there u can relate and trust on all sorts of backbone stems from ur daw while free to do whatever u wanna do with them or adding whatever ur intensions might be…

while all latest akai products, and foremost that “force”, are clumsy but little wannabe daws, aiming at consumers who wanna go hardware but just get u from mouse clicking into endless menu diving and touch touch never really thought through all the way “workflow”…
any laptop, with any daw is the way better investment, when it comes down to this…

the takt is a minimalistic but never the less powerful music instrument…like all elektron devices it grows with u and gets deeper with every approach of diggin any deeper…

if u have not found any funk with that force by now, get rid of it…
if u miss some pad and remote options, get a naked akai controler instead…

if u wanna go for real hardware instruments, instead of half baken ableton in a huge plastic box, get a 2nd hand ot for performing live on stage whatever u came up with in ur daw, or get a 2nd hand takt to really enjoy ur sample and ur synth takt workflow combined, always ready to get recorded and to add THE spice to ur daw projects in first place…