Digitakt will not trigger volca sample

Hi everybody,

This forum is currently my last resort, i’ve tried looking into every video avaiable, tried bringin it to the shop; to no avail.
Help a fellow elektronaut out.

The connection goes this way

Elektronaut midi out> volca sample midi in

I wanted to post a video with my current settings but beign a new user i cannot.

The volca recieves clock from the digi and starts & stop when the digi does, but steps sequenced on the digi have no effect wathsoever on the volca, why? Why?? Whyyyy?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Blessings

IIRC the Volca Samples uses 10 MIDI channels. Did you set the MIDI tracks on the Digitakt to the MIDI channels you want to sequence on the volca beats?

Yes i did

Track A > channel 1
Track B > channel 2

And so on & so forth

Midi out turned on ?
Tracks not muted ?
You’ve set the midi channel and clicked down on the encoder ?

1 Like

You don’t have to click the Encoder with the DT, only with the OT.

you do have to.

are you following all that?

1 Like

All set, but it still doesnt work…

Checked this video with the guy at the shop also, but no chance…

Under System => MIDI CONFIG => PORT CONFIG, is OUT PORT FUNC set to MIDI and OUTPUT TO set to at least MIDI?

I assume the answer is yes as the Volca is receiving clock.

Everything on that page is set on midi

Also volca sample channels are unmuted?

There may be a specifc midi note that they respond to as well. It’s a been a while since I’ve had one.

Just skimmed things and it looks like the Sample only responds to Note On/Off. Each sample track has a static, unchangeable channel that it responds to on MIDI channels 1-10.

2 Likes

Are you using the DT MIDI Tracks or Audio Tracks to Trig the Volca?

2 Likes

I just plugged my Volca Keys in, setup a midi channel, and successfully played it with the Digitakt.
The only things I can think of the Digitakt settings as mentioned above by numerous posters, and to remember that the Volcas do not, as I recall, respond to my Omni channels. Meaning, the Volca boots on a particular factory specified channel (my Volca keys is channel 16) and changing it that channel on the Volca is an easy but convoluted process of holding multiple buttons on powering up.
I suggest trying all 16 channels from your DT midi track individually to see if you can make it make sound.

All unmuted, i’ m currently trying to trigget the kick on channel one of the volca

This. Make sure that you are setting System => MIDI CONFIG => CHANNELS ports correctly. You want to set the MIDI and not TRACK to 1, 2, 3 etc.

1 Like

Tried all 16 channels to no avail, i ll try and upload a video to youtube to link here

… just dug out my Volca Sample and same thing, it is working just fine from my Digitakt. The Samples midi inputs correspond to midi channels 1 thru 10.
I simply went to channel 9 on my Digitakt, set it to channel 1, and it triggers the first channel on my sample.

3 Likes

https://youtube.com/shorts/04Ashm5TS-s?feature=share

Here is the case

Turn tracks 1 - 8 MIDI channels to OFF and set tracks 9-16 to 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

It looks like you’ve got overlap there.

EDIT: I own an Digitone and not a Digitakt. I’ve noticed that the MIDI tracks are just tracks 9 through 16 on the Digitakt whereas on the Digitone, there’s a MIDI button to toggle between the MIDI and Sound tracks. Same applies though. Tracks 9-16 are the MIDI tracks and their corresponding MIDI channel should be 1, 2, 3, etc. I would disable the channels on tracks 1-8. Also, make sure tracks 9-16 are not muted on the DT.