Division Department 01/IV

Another Perfect Circuit video, 01/IV starting at 2:10

3 Likes

Some great technical information available here.

5 Likes

with a lot of distortion, goes well with some of @Ess recent work: https://0daysysex.bandcamp.com/album/granules
1 Like
5 Likes

A pleasant piece, moreso than a demo.
3 Likes

Thanks for this advice :slight_smile:

What turned me off the MFB 301 Pro is the muddled clap. I love claps (and finger-snaps), and wonder if the 01/IV can do a better job.

1 Like

Yeah, I mean, it’s a nice enough kit, but it’s more a curiosity than anything else.

I sold mine on. Yeah, the kick is nice, but the other sounds I found grating. The 808 hat sound especially. It was also a pain to use with elektron sequencers. It’s very tactile and fun to use, just not very versatile.

I agree the hats and snare aren’t the greatest.

Cymbals, kicks, knocks and oscillator blaaarrrps are powerful though.

The sawtooth osc has a Roland 101 / 202 vibe to it I think.

Agree with you on the hi-hat. Certainly need to love that sound to get the most out of the 01/IV.

Re-listening to samples I recorded before selling, I made heavy use of the triangle and noise sources. Kicks, snares, claps, and some odd FM sounds were all quite nice to my ears.

Hi hat has been my favorite machine in the few sessions with it. The band pass filter with osc mod makes some of my favorite sounds. I’ll try to upload some of it soon.

Ah geez, that’s pretty and funky :smiley: what’s the other kit?

A video from The Division Department:

3 Likes

Realised that this has a lot on common with the original Nord Drum: 4 tracks, each with a complete voice, and similar sounds.

Ended up buying a used Nord Drum 2, because of the SysEx presets and extensive CCs.

I had missed that The Division Department released a cassette album of the 01/IV:

3 Likes

Auvrel spotted.

1 Like

This looks nice. Could you explain the midi sequencing? I’m a bit confused by the implementation and how the triggers and repeat triggers midi works. Thanks.

first confusing, but after i while no problem at all. You can play each voices chromatic notes, triggers and repeat triggers over the whole 8 octave keybpard/input device. in the beginning this chart is essential to look the different zones up, but you can navigate more easy after some time

2 Likes

Thanks. It looks like it would pair very nicely with my octatrack.

1 Like