Division Department 01/IV

"The third batch of 01/IV is now available.
Limited stock. Order yours now.

US$ 535 including free worldwide shipping"

3 Likes

Anyone got any tips on how they’re sequencing this thing?

I had trouble sequencing it. I wish each channel had its own MIDI instead of it all being the same MIDI. It was confusing for me.

1 Like

Your not the first person I’ve heard say that. What were you using to trigger it??

what are you sequencing it with?

I’ve had no trouble. I’m using a Cirklon and just have an instrument configured where each note is mapped to a different channel of the 01/IV. basically it’s like sequencing a TR-707 where you see a grid of dots for your sequence. I think Division Department’s intention is for you to use something like this, or a “piano roll” style sequencer in a DAW.

you could also do it from the OT, of course. use four midi tracks with each of them assigned to the same midi channel, then just use different notes on each to correspond to the 01/IV channels.

That’s good to hear :star_struck: I’ve only just ordered one and remember reading some people raising concerns about the midi sequencing but nothing specific. I’m planning on getting a hardware sequencer to pair with it, so was just wondering if I needed to be mindful of anything. The cirklon sounds like a dream.

if you’re getting a dedicated hardware sequencer for it, I’d say the Beatstep Pro is probably your best bet (and isn’t crazy expensive). the drum sequencer there works exactly as you’d want for the 01/IV, where each drum is a note value, and you can just edit their sequences individually.

1 Like

Awesome thanks for your advice @chiasticon :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Pyramid also works nicely, with a proper def file

Btw I posted mine on the Squarp forum

As for why the sequencing is the way it is, it’s probably to avoid flamming between voices due to MIDI being a (slow, old) serial protocol. A bit awkward but it does make it easier to layer drum sounds and to keep things tight.

1 Like

it’s not really all that strange. the TR-707 and 909 use the same sort of note mapping for each sound, over one midi channel, as does the Vermona DRM1, the Oberheim DX, Machinedrum, OT, Acidlab Drumatix and Miami, etc… it’s a pretty standard approach, really. if they’d been all on different channels it wouldn’t have made any difference in terms of possibly getting flamming sounds; midi is serial regardless of whether it’s all on the same channel or not. plus part of the function of the machine is to trigger multiple sounds at the same time; there’s specific notes mapped to do this.

5 Likes

Yes, specific MIDI notes being mapped to play multiple voices simultaneously is the flamming-avoidance trick I was thinking of. Thanks for clarifying that.

1 Like

I have a spare MIDI NOTES / CC MESSAGES card for the 01/IV.

If it’s of use to anyone in the UK I’ll post it to them, free (but a donation to a charity of their choice encouraged).

:v:t4:

1 Like

I thought it didn’t support MIDI velocity?

it does

I have never checked whether they say it does or not, but varying the amount of velocity the octatrack sends it definitely affects the volume of the hits, makes for some glorious ghost notes.

2 Likes

curious about this for those who have a lot of experience with theirs: since the analog waveforms are tri and saw, does the filter do a good enough job filtering the tri down to get a more sine-like 808-style kick? how smooth can you get it while retaining punch/definition in the attack?

tweaking only sweep, range and filter
same trigger lenght on all hits
no processing, direct recording

to my ears the filter does a good job on smooth, low bassdrums.
(keep in mind that the filter reacts differently depending on the filter mod setting)

2 Likes

excellent, thank you for the recording, it’s much appreciated!

edit: love that you can get a natural click out of it just by nature of the envelope speed/range.

1 Like