Division Department 01/IV

I’m still torn between this and a Tanzmaus.
Some similarities, some major differences. Sequencer is not a factor for me.

I would go with this because it has a nice range of sounds but also can be a basic four voice synth,

It can act as a 4 voice, but the key tracking is not useable in a traditional western musical format

@Ess does “Double Dip” here refer to the fact that you used two x 01/IV?

No, it’s because it’s two tracks mixed together, haha. :smiley:

Both use only one 01/IV without any multitracking! (Well I mean, the voices are recorded separately and put through a bunch of effects, but I don’t use more than the four voices, just programmed MIDI output)

4 Likes

@Claid I see you haven’t shared your 01/IV sample pack on Elektronauts. I’ve got three of your packs, and it’s my favorite one for characterful and punchy techno drums.

What’s your thoughts on the 01/IV? Do you have anything to share or thoughts about what made these sounds sound the way they do? What do you think about the machine?

If I see correctly, this machine is pretty open architecture with its voices, instead of them being very curated/narrowed down, correct? Does that mean that your sample pack just sounds good because it was a nice empty canvas for your sound design skills? Or would you say it has a signature of its own too?

Curious to hear your insights! And maybe share that pack also on the forum here - it’s my favorite one:)

1 Like

Thanks so much for the feedback, it helps inspire me to keep going with this crazy quest of mine to get high quality and affordable sample packs into the hands of creatives. :slight_smile:

I believe I did share the pack, let me see…
Here it is!

I think the 01/IV is a great machine, sounds unique and punchy and it’s super compact and versatile. Love the lack of a sequencer (I know, I’m weird) and those clicky triggers ate satisfying to use.

What makes the sounds the way they are is a mixture of the oscillators and the envelopes, among other things. The voices have a nice snap to them and the repeating attack stage can be made into lovely claps.

Yes, it is an open architecture - one synth multiplied by four, with each of the four channels being whatever you want. It has its own signature, I’m only doing the standard synth settings for kicks/snares/hats etc, then tweaking for different results, pitching up and down, and occasionally tweaking as the sample is recorded for less static results.

Again, so glad you like the pack. It’s a lovely neat drum machine that is underappreciated and underadvertised.

1 Like

Ah sorry it is online here - it didn’t come up with some of my searches, my error I’m sure.

Really nice to read. I haven’t found one on the Dutch second hand online marketplace, but if one does for a reasonable price I might try one.

Do you think it would be nice for live - quick enough to tweak? - or do you need to tweak a bit longer to find nice sounds?

1 Like

It’s tough to find in the UK as well, I’ve seen two listings come up in the last year. One on Elektronauts and one on eBay. Possibly the same one haha.

I wouldn’t be brave enough to try to use it live, I’d rather use samples or an Ableton Live session for performance. But if you had pics for reference of your settings you could use it live without too much problem, triggering it via MIDI. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great info to get an idea what to expect :slight_smile:

Happy to use your samples live on my Bitbox Micro

1 Like

I’d love to try the Bitbox Micro out, I had a 1010 Blackbox for a while. Samplers are amazing. :slight_smile:

I’d love The Division Department to make a new drum machine, they’re actively promoting the 01/IV on Instagram but they’re so hard to find. Very odd indeed.

4 Likes

I’d noticed that they were promoting it on Insta as well. Also, it’s listed as “coming soon” on their website, but I’m pretty sure that a while ago it just said “sold out”, so there might be a new batch on the way? If so I’d be quite keen to get hold of one!

1 Like

Borrowing one of these from a friend and tried it out for the first time today. Man, this is one helluva drum machine! The sound is just immense for such a small machine. Talk about punching above one’s weight!

Will get one of these for myself at some point for sure.

2 Likes

Any recordings yet?

1 Like

Not yet, but will soon. Past midnight once again here so not today. :wink: But yeah, sequencing this thing from the OT and running the audio through OT is crazy fun. Ended up in some kinda techno territory today but will also try some slightly softer and more melodic stuff in the coming days.

1 Like

I had one and loved it, but I wish each track had its own midi channel. All of them sharing one midi channel just wasn’t very convenient or fun for me, I was dying to use it with some of my sequencers but found it was more difficult than necessary.

There are things that would make it better for sure. Midi implementation is one of them. Would be absolutely mind-blowing to p-lock all the 01/IV parameters from an Elektron device somehow. Yesterday I was using four midi channels from the OT, one dedicated for each 01/IV voice. In fact, at times I was using multiple midi channels for one voice to get unexpected results / happy accidents due to overlapping midi information. But yeah, it’s early stages with the 01/IV for me so will continue my explorations later. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So, I’ve had one of these for like 5 minutes, but so far I’m totally loving it. I’d been looking for one for a while.

I read on this thread some people were lamenting the fact that it uses a single MIDI channel for all 4 voices — I agree that it would be more intuitive if each voice had a separate channel, kind of like a Vermona Perfourmer, but for drums. I was almost turned off by this at first.

That being said, I had an idea:
Since all voices are on the same channel and the note value actually determines which voice is triggered, why not use the Octatrack MIDI arpeggiator to trigger it!? The arp transposition, range and and scale will determine the distribution of note values, which then translate into which voice gets triggered. I’ve also tried it with 2 MIDI tracks on the OT, both running arpeggiators, with different scales, lengths, speeds and base transpositions —some crazy rhythms ensued.

I’m going to keep going with this idea, probably more MIDI arps, or a combination of non-arp and arp MIDI tracks. If I record anything good I’ll come share it here if people are interested.

3 Likes

I also have one and love it too!
I use a Blokas Midi Hub to sequence it from a Tubbutec 6equencer in my modular, and it’s super easy with the Digitakt. The part/note midi assignment also worked really well when I tried it with an old (MK2) Electribe! Some of the hidden features can be a little confusing but it sounds great and the fact that each voice is identical is perfect imo.

1 Like

How did you set up the Blokas for it? Do you use any of those special pipes? I bet you could get even crazier with the sequencing than what I was talking about above with the arp