Does anyone really use their Octatrack/Digitakt/etc on the couch?

I like to take a piece of equipment out of my studio. Then I take it with me to the couch and can focus on it. For a long time now, I’ve been planning to label all the cables, cause when I bring it back, it’s always a bit chaotic but has also led to many new setup ideas.

2 Likes

I labelled the cables and tied them into pairs. I also have a spare 12v power brick around here somewhere, but the ripcord and battery pack seem great, and leas chance of yanking the chord by mistake.

2 Likes

most, if not all, of my music is made on the couch, the floor while stretching my hammies, the porch, or basically anywhere that is not a dedicated music space. i used to use the DT with ripcord and battery pack all the time but haven’t in awhile
since mounting it to a VESA arm on a stand up desk used for work and recording.

Its a small pain to un patch from my larger set up.

But rainy days in bed with any of my gear usually ends in bester results than sitting in an office chair with a hundred blinking lights…

Think the DN buttons are starting to influence the decor

5 Likes

Velcro added for a quick, tidy setup. The battery pack is stuck to a wooden crossbar between the brackets.

5 Likes

I like using Deluge +1 sound module combo on the couch

3 Likes

Every time I put together a static desk setup I take a few pics, post here, play around. I then quickly move a piece or two somewhere else and jam freely. It’s funny like that.

Last night at the bar.

I personally prefer my DT+DN to be on my desk. Couch or bed makes me uncomfortable when making music. I am not the one for sitting cross-legged for more than 15 minutes either.

No. Maybe if I had some kind of what we always called a “tray table” a little fold away table, when I was a kid people used them to eat on the couch. Or like on of those pillowed lap thingies people put laptops on their…laps with. I won’t even do it with my M:S.

I am 1000% a kitchen table guy even though I have a whole extra bedroom for my studio. My reasoning there is kind of complicated. My partner’s office is in the landing of the second floor. Our house is over 100 years old so the upstairs has a single vent in the landing for the HVAC system. If I’m working with the door shut in late spring, summer and early fall I sweat it out. And I have this weird thing about working on music (playing) while she is working-working. So I like to bring a piece of gear or two downstairs where I feel less like I’m pestering her.

Then in the evenings if I want to work on music she is close enough in the living room (tiny house) that we can have a slow conversation back and forth while she is doing whatever and I work on music at the kitchen table.

Thank you for coming to my TEDTalk that was totally off topic.

3 Likes

Timely thread. I had to have my ankle rebuilt two days ago and I’m looking at two months on the couch or in bed.

What are the best battery solutions for Octatrack?

Almost exclusively lol

Ripcord/battery pack/Velcro works perfectly

2 Likes

Pretty much all my A4mkII work starts in bed. Then I move it to my studio when I need to start multitracking or adding other instruments. More or less the same with my DN and MC-101. Though strangely not my samplers. I suppose sometimes that early work involves recording or transferring things and it’s easier to have them near the patchbay? But even when I know I’ll be working from packs, I tend to work on them sitting up. Just habit, I guess.

Birdcord + any reputable power bank.

Hope your ankle heals up nicely!

1 Like

Get a model

I generally find that the best time for me to work on music is after a night at work, when my wife is already asleep (she’s a daywalker). Most of my music gear is set up near-ish the bedroom, so I’ve been bringing one piece of gear to the couch with me. Usually it’s my Volca FM, Digitakt, or just my laptop with Bitwig. I was thinking about selling my Digitakt but using it solo on the couch has actually forced me to familiarize myself with it a bit more and now I’m not so sure I want to part ways with it.

2 Likes

Yes

I did once, but now my couch go-to is the op-1. Battery powered, quick and instant fun (but also limited).

1 Like

If the OP-1 had a step sequencer like the OP-Z, it would be almost perfect.

4 Likes