Drambo (iOS)

This is amazing. So much potential

Between this drum computer and mixbox cs im a very happy chappy

1 Like

This is awesome. Having such a hard time using M:C as a midi controller though… first time I tried it, worked great, but now encoders and transport don’t seem to map at all. Midi out via usb is on, enc set to I+E. I dunno man lol…

I know there’s no real advantage to using it as a controller, but it’s so small and nice compared to what else I have…

Can drambo send the midi clock out?

I don’t think it can on its own. Suggest try using it inside AUM.

I asked this just the other day on Beepstreet forum. Standalone it neither sends or receives midi clock, but Midi clock send in standalone maybe coming. Nor does it respond to Program Change.

I haven’t tried using AUM as master clock to send midi to hardware, but even internally it can be a little sketchy. MIDI In > Audiobus > AUM > Drambo is VERY unstable in my experience. But Midi In > Audiobus > is stable. This is for Midi Din through an IConnect interface.

1 Like

This release is everything I hoped for and more…and more stable than I expected.

Currently jamming away with Drumcomputer + Bit Maestro + Effectrix, Looperator - Map and p-Locking my way to glitch nirvana!

1 Like

Now let’s see if this works. You’ll need DrumComputer and FRMS to hear all of it
https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0Siadgp_H16s0QhcLCy-aWbZA#Context+Syntax

It just works for playing notes. I haven’t tried mapping keys to midi yet, but from the Audiobus forum, I get the idea that you can do it just like mapping from a hardware midi controller.

Super fast test last night, but sampling the Mc-101 via USB into Drambo is a cinch. VERY EXCITE!

1 Like

Having loads of fun tonight.
Thanks again to beepstreet for this magical gift he has given to all of us.

Here’s a quick capture of a little jam from this evening:

You can grab the file here if you like the sound of it:
https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0_puXaZMODn1b_Uik2VXuEa6w#Detours
Auv3 apps used:
DrumComputer
Aparillo
Riffer
DRC
Quanta

4 Likes

HI, for those of you who’s using both elektron gear and Drambo on ipad, how comparable is the sound in terms of gain headroom etc? Do you use it with external audio interface? Can it ‘punch’? I love the idea of using Drambo, lots of fun, but don’t trust it as i would trust to something like Digitakt because that thing always sounds powerful no matter what i feed it…what about analog heat as interface?

Now that you can load AUv3s in the chain, the possibilities are (even more) limitless. You want punch? Throw in an AUv3 effect at the end of your chain (whichever is pleasing to you for extra oomph). You can map controls to exposed AU parameters, so things can be automated / p-locked.

It’s pretty wild. I had a good play for like two or three hours the other day just messing around with p-locks and some samples cut up in the flexi sampler. If I had monitors and an audio interface I definitely would use the iPad in that way, but for now just using nice mixing cans and whatever other speakers and such I can get my hands on

Using the ipad > DT via usb/lightening adapter, you have to dial the DT internal 8 channels back a fair bit to give the IDAM channel (which doesnt have a level control) a chance to poke through the mix within the DT but that said, once you’ve done that there’s plenty of punch once as immane suggests you stick some mastering auv3’s in.

I use mixbox cs with drambo and it gets excellent sound quality. Plenty of warmth and dirt or nasty digital, great range of effects and p lockable delays, reverbs, saturation etc

I’ve tried au’s on master, don’t have much but i’ve used bark filter with tripleband preset and barricade limiter, i have shaper module and compression on most of the tracks, everything sound nice and loud and punchy, but then i render pattern to audio, and play in from the laptop and compare with some refference tracks…sounds weak and quiet…of course those reference tracks are mastered in studio and stuff but it still feels like ipad/drambo thing is not on par with hardware, not even near…but probably i’m just not good at making the right sound/killing it with all the distortion and compression) Playing with elektron box is much easier, it has that ‘sound’ by default. Oh, and even using vcv rack on my macbook pro gives me much punchier sound out of the headphones jack.

Somehow i feel that no amount of inbox processing matter if the device itself has weak output. Maybe i’ll try sound card, drambo is a lot of fun to use.

I’m more wondering about the sound output quality, than the sounds it can produce…feels weak in comparison to any piece of hardware i’ve tried.

it’s not my experience - yes perhaps the DT has an ultimate punchy hotness that the iPad iDAM pathway cannot quite match but it’s not far off. If you sculpt a simple Bogaudio VCO going through MiRack > Drambo > iDAM > DT with some shaping things can get pretty heavy.

Yeah, VCV rack on the laptop sounds quite punchy, don’t use miRack as much because modules are not being added but i’m sure it sounds good too…perhaps it’s Drambo itself, dunno, although i’m using samples mostly…

Personally on the iPad I prefer using Beatmaker 3 for layering sampled track stems, it seems to keep things fairly intact and clear. I find using the DT in that context results in things getting a bit muddy and distorted especially when there’s alot going on. Perhaps I need to practice working with it more in that contxt.

I just can’t get enough of Drambo now that it can host all of my favorite pieces of kit :slight_smile:

You can nab the file from the description on YouTube.
As always, thanks for watching and all of your encouragement.

3 Likes