Drambo (iOS)

Okay sounds good, so it has plocks?

indeed. And conditional trigs etc

2 Likes

100%. was a AUM killer for me.

1 Like

So I purchased Drambo a couple of days ago.

O.
M.
All the way to the G.

I’m BLOWN AWAY, and that’s an understatement. Sure, I did quickly check the reviews about it being “the iOS music revolution” etc, but wrote if off as just another marketing gimmick and moved on. I was very wrong. It’s so powerful, so deep, so well thought of, it’s a level of quality that is truly impressive to see for anyone, but at about 20€ for the app, the value for the money is just insane. There are also quite a few tutorials about it so it’s weak manual (I had to find something to complain about, right ?) is not really an issue for me.

I can how some people may have sold the rest of their music equipment when they first tried it ! 10 hours in and haven’t thought too much about “I could do that better with my Eurorack setup”, that’s a good sign :hugs: I definitely could make music for years with just Drambo and a couple of AUv3’s from Bram Bos.
I can’t wait to see how it will evolve, I’m sure it promises to become even more in the future !

You can have crazy things like several conditions on top of the same note, and even different conditions on each note of a trig (yes, on the same trig, thus effectively changing the chord played), as well as a whole range of other trig processors (transpose, retrig, conditions based on sequence position, number of times played like on elektron, …). All of which can be combined ad infinitum.

7 Likes

yes it‘s amazing. I mostly use it with few brambos apps, tal uno lx, pure acid and the spectrum synth apps.
Another great thing is that you can use midi auv3s as well, so I can use beloved fugue machine or brambos rozeta.

Patching is very easy and straightforward without patching virtual cables. If you prefer cables just load an instance of mirack :slightly_smiling_face:

Might be just a snapshot in time, but drambo leads to more fun and nicer results than my elektrons at the moment

I wish I could import my aum projects straight into drambo :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I am on the fence about acquiring yet another iOS synth, but I have heard such amazing things about the vst/app.

What do you love about it?

Thanks, does it have some sort of song mode or is it just for live jamming?

it quite nails the sound of what I imagine a real Juno 60 would sound like.
Never heard a real Juno.
But it clearly has that roland vibe I‘m often after.
Like the real juno, it has a relatively few controls which I think suits the auv3 format best. Just turn some sliders and get all sorts of nice sounds…

But if you have zeeon or anything similar (like drambo itself) you’re probably set with VA, besides the Juno sound is specifically what you are after

1 Like

Digitakt + Drambo is my new fav. Would recommend!

1 Like

Not to my knowledge, hope they add one. But maybe I have missed something.
I only recorded jams so far.

Hello.

My first post here. :slight_smile:

Drambo has song mode. In the upper left corner by clicking “+” you add new patterns. You can for example add patterns, copy them, add empty ones, set the number of repetitions. Unfortunately you can’t change the order, but you can always insert a blank one and copy another.

The only thing I would like is for the song mode view to be a little bigger. There are only a few patterns visible, and with 20-30 patterns in a song it’s hard to move between them.

2 Likes

@monomatik @x0x

The developer of Drambo is aware of the need for improvements on the “Song” side of things. :slight_smile:

I am confident it will come in due time!

1 Like

nice thanks.
I’m very much a one pattern guy, that’s why I overlooked it :slight_smile:

Is it possible to set track mutes per pattern?
That’s my preferred way of doing arrangements.

Whenever the discussion turns to Drambo I feel like one of the people in the cave in Plato’s Allegory of the cave. I can see the outline of something fantastic, but i can’t wrap my head around it.

I just bought a Analog Four for melody duties, and I think i now need to go at using drambo as a makeshift OT/AR for samples and additional perc… If anybody have good workflow “how to use” tutorials to recommend im all ears. The ones i found are more like “how do a make a substractive synth patch” which is fine, but the workflow is not working for me yet.

@papertiger Awesome news.

From what I’ve tried it can’t be done, if you mute one track it will always be muted no matter which pattern you are on.

@Rokoko
I started by reading the manual and watching tutorials by Ben Richards on youtube. I don’t remember if the manual helped me much, but Ben’s tutorials sure did.
This one looks like a good introduction.

2 Likes

:point_up:

2 Likes

Another little jam. Unfortunately the bass is a bit hard to hear without headphones…

4 Likes

here’s a super simple workflow with a bit of explanation… when i first started out with drambo, i was overwhelmed and got discouraged… this workflow was my first step towards understanding and appreciating the app:

1. OPEN DRAMBO: open drambo. you should be looking at track 1 of a fresh 8-track project (note how the ‘1’ pad has a red border at the bottom)

2. ADD A KICK: track 1 needs to make sound. i often like to start with drums, and drambo comes with a decent selection of drum samples… hit the plus button next to the “midi to cv” module. you’ll see a list of sound generator modules. scroll down the right side until you see “Sampler”, and select the “Presets” link beside it. navigate to Sampler > Factory > Drums and select Kicks. tap out of the Presets window to close it. now you should have a Sampler module titled “Kicks”.

• above the pads to the right is a KEYS button, hit that to pop up the keyboard. start playing keys starting from C2. if you look up at the Sampler module, you’ll see a rainbow band in a dark grey rectangle, and every time you hit a key, an orange line segment appears somewhere on the top edge. that rectangle represents the full keyboard range, and the colored lines represent where a sample is loaded. find a kick sound you like. note that the key stays highlighted. if you hit the 1 pad, it’ll play the highlighted note/sample.
  1. SEQUENCE NOTES: the squares going across the middle of the ui are the step sequencer. if you tap a square, it’ll plot the currently highlighted key there. underneath that are buttons that say ‘<’, ‘1/1’ (or 1/2), and ‘>’. the arrows are page navigation buttons, and tapping ‘1/1’ will halve or double how many steps are visible at one time. so now you can lay down some kick drum steps. at the very top are transport buttons, hit play to hear your sequence. you can also hit record (then hit play if it’s not already playing) and play steps in live.
  • note that if you tap a square, it’ll only play during that one step… if your kick sample has a long tail, you’ll need to sustain the note longer - hold the step and drag to the right. you can also hit the STEP button beside KEYS, select the square/step to modify, then increase the Gate value, then hit STEP again to exit that mode. to sequence a chord (or in this case, multiple kick samples), do one of the following: 1. record it live, 2: hold a step and hit the keys you want, 3: go into STEP mode, select the step, and tap additional keys. this info will come in handy when you sequence bass/lead/pads.
  1. ADD OTHER DRUMS: tap pad 2 to go to track 2. let’s add a snare… repeat steps 2-3, but in step 2 select “Snares” instead of Kicks. then add a track for HiHats if you want.

2. ADD A MELODY: hit the next pad to go to a new track. this time hit plus and add an Oscillator module. play a key and note that it plays forever. the oscillator is always running, once you feed it a note it will output that sound forever… we need to control that. hit plus again and this time select PROCESSOR on the left, then scroll down the right and add an “Amp env ADSR”. now we’re processing the oscillator through an amp envelope with attack/decay/sustain/release controls.

• play around with the keys and module controls and find a sound you like. then hit record to sequence a pattern live, or select keys and tap the steps to sequence notes in manually.
  1. PLAY WITH STUFF: that’s the basics! once you get those steps down, it’s good to know the following:
  • to remove a module, swipe down from the module’s title bar

• modules are processed left to right. to add a module between two existing modules, grab the right module’s title bar and move it slightly to the right until you see a flashing + between the modules, then let go

• add effects and filters from the list of PROCESSOR modules

• if you have AUv3 apps, you can add them as Audio Unit modules… GENERATOR for synths / sound-producing apps, PROCESSOR for fx, MIDI for midi. fun stuff.

• add an LFO from the MODULATOR modules, then add a module with something you’d like to modulate e.g. Filter. tap the arrow beside Cutoff, then select the signal (sine wave icon) from the LFO. this adds a LFO dial beside Cutoff, turn this up to affect how much the LFO affects cutoff

• at the top right, the grid of squares button will give you a step sequencer view of all tracks, and the horizontal rectangles button will give you a module view of all tracks.

with that knowledge, you should be good to go explore and play around with stuff, and all of the tutorial videos should make a lot more sense now.

17 Likes

the point I’d make is that first viewing can be overwhelming and I have gone through phases of feeling defeated by the complexity and flexibility of Drambo - but if you dip in a little - try some presets off patchstorage, you will gradually build up a stronger sense of what it can do. It’s by no means a universal panacea to the job of making music on a computer but it certainly is worth looking at especially for those schooled in Elektron.

2 Likes