Drambo (iOS)

you can use a switch module and automate the switch to the pattern.

1 Like

Howdy everyone:

Today was a very good day in Drambo. I decided to try a little experiment designed around constraints. I wanted to see how far I could take a 4 Track composition inside of Drambo and make something layered, textured and with a lot of movement in an ambient space.

So the following Track represents this experiment in it’s entirety. So what did I do, you might ask.

Go ahead. Ask. :slight_smile:

Well, I brought Gauss in to the equation. This allowed me to record my foundational loops and still allowed me to construct additional sounds atop these foundational loops by leaving the Monitor ON within the instances of Gauss.

I then decided to go all in on Randomness, Chance, Humanness and a Mixer per Track. Everything was sounding pretty nice, but I decided to add a 5th instance of Gauss to the Master Track, which I recorded for 45 seconds, and dropped to 50% Speed and then added a Mixer to the Master, so I could control the main part of the track to the slower part of the track. Needless to say, things became a little mesmerizing to my ears by doing this.

Ultimately I mapped all of my Mutes, Mixers, Chance and Volume knobs to my Midi Mixer and recorded the performance as best as I could based on the feeling it was giving me while it played back.

It was a worthwhile exploration and journey that I allowed myself to go on today, and I feel a little bit closer to the power and flexibility that Drambo gives us as musicians and sound designers.

Anyhoo, I figured I’d provide a little background on the piece…so I truly thank you for your time today and always.

Have a blessed day everyone. I hope the piece provides some comfort and relaxation to you.

Enjoy:

Cheers,
-echo opera

12 Likes

@echo_opera beautiful stuff as always.

Here’s another of my drambo jams. Something more four to the floor… The pads are from tal uno lx, driven by fugue machine, all percussion besides the kick are from ruizmaker noir. The rest is drambo, there are some great preset synths (John’s Bass and Keys for example, they sound really beefy imo)

Today I discovered the wavetable oscillator which is super nice. So much fun stuff

4 Likes

I also put together a little how to video of how i constructed the track here:

3 Likes

Can you assign a scale to Drambos pads/keys?

I think you can do it using the modules.

I use a brambros midi plug-in

Drambo so much that you don’t have to buy any AUv3 plugins to get a ton out of it, let’s you build whatever you want, and manages your tracks in a comprehensible way. Its a “revolution” in iOS music because beforehand you’d end up buying a plugin (or multiple) for each little feature you wanted (filter, reverb, delay, distortion, sampler, sequencer, etc). Drambo has all these things well integrated and is very affordable.

Don’t get me wrong, there are still a TON of great AUv3s that I use in my productions. But now for most plugins I can ask “Can I do this already?”. Before with iOS music I’d tell people “It can be rewarding but confusing and frustrating to get everything together” but now I can say “Buy Drambo, then maybe some plugins later.”

(Its worth noting that if you aren’t heavily into step sequencing Drambo probably isn’t for you. But this is Elektronauts so… Also if you avoid it solely because its behind the Apple walled-garden I 100% understand.)

1 Like

Thank you for this.
Been trying to wrap my head around drambo and how to approach it and this made more sense than any other instrucable.
Probably gotta go back to building\coding as I have so much custom stuff to overcome some limitations of AUM, iOS, and developers who just refuse to incorporate midi out for CCs in apps/plugs for hardware controllers.

Glad it helped. FWIW, that little Circle with the dots and n it at the top of the UI next to the Metronome glyph is to enable Midi Learn if you want to drive behavior via midi controllers.
Also be sure to check out Mozaic if you want to do custom Midi stuff. BramBos has made it easy to roll your own workflow solutions.

You can find a bunch of Drambo modules and Mozaic scripts on PatchStorage as well.

Cheers👊🏼™️

Most of my built stuff is done with teensy boards and coded that way. Avoids the parameter jumps since nothing supports relative encoders for off the shelf stuff.
About 1/2 way through my encoder box. 32 push button rgb encoders x 16 banks. So basically an EC4 without the display but color coded knobs a la launchpad. And no parameter jumping.
I assume drambo is the same as AUM and doesn’t have the ability to send out the values of knobs via midi to update external controllers?
Not much in the manual about it.

I’ve been so set up around AUM for years now switching over to drambo would be a major hardware and workflow change for me, but drambo seems mature enough now to really look at it again.

It’ll be more of an AU host to me like AUM is as all my sequencing is external/hardware.

Thinking about picking up an iPad to play with this. Can anyone tell me, is it possible to have different time divisions and track lengths per track?

Time divisions - not yet, track lengths - you can trick it with conditional jumps - not quite Elektron style but apparently its coming.

Is it something expected to come? If so, I think I’ll wait until then

Hello AuralNauts:

DRAMBO+BINAURAL BEATS = AURAL EXPLORATIONS

I’ve been interested in this particular space of audio production as a method of providing different states of focus while listening to music while using headphones. Over the last couple of days, I got it into my head that I could generate these “binaural” tones directly in Drambo, and this track represents a first pass at using the technique embedded within a track. Oh how I love Drambo and the Oscillator Mini module :slight_smile:

I know that this topic can spark many perspectives of opinion, but I am looking at it as another audio technique of instrumentation in a track. If it really works, GREAT, if not, no harm done to the sonic quality of the music :slight_smile:

Anyhoo, here’s a first pass on an ambient track, using Drambo to generate the binaural frequency. I’m just learning about this, so I thank you for your patience and interest in the topic. I hope it will be a learning journey for us all.

Best listened with Headphones as usual.

Many thanks in advance:

2 Likes

Here’s another track using the same frequency with a 200Hz carrier instead:

4 Likes

Beautiful :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have to admit, I have no clue what binaural means, but I know your tracks sound beautiful :slightly_smiling_face:
will do my research later

1 Like

Thanks @_aPul @Unifono for the kind words. The theory behind Binaural Beats in music is that it helps our brain waves tune in to specific frequencies our brain naturally produces. Not sure if it’s any better than a solid trance inducing track that is layered and composed correctly…but i figured I’d test these waters and see how it develops in Drambo.
Thanks for listening :pray:t3::two_hearts:

3 Likes

Version 1.3.2 is out - some nice new goodies!

5 Likes

Yep. A great app just keeps getting better.

1 Like