Drambo (iOS)

Hard to say…
Extremely anecdotally, if I use my low cost Casio Bluetooth headphones with iPad there is a lag between touching the screen and hearing a sound…. so much so that it becomes fairly unusable for any musical purpose….
The lag between hitting a pad on Oxi and iPad making sound, if using ble, is almost not noticeable… but does exist. Like I said, I made a whole track and wasn’t bothered.
I haven’t used any other Bluetooth devices with iPad yet, so I can’t really say if oxi is adding any latency to what folks might be used to, but imo it’s totally usable.
I’ll look into figuring out the exact latency though and report back if successful (if anyone has a good suggestion for an easy way to test such a thing, you might spare me some googling :slight_smile:

No need to measure. If new ipad mini doesnt have usbc imma cry tho

1 Like

A bit more exploration with the SQ-64 + Drambo this evening:

5 Likes

Thursday night jamming in my favorite app:

3 Likes

is this still w/ the korg?

No. Using Continua, Factory, DRC, Samples and Drum Computer.

I’m getting frustrated just trying to create a simple synth. In the instructions, it looks like adding an oscillator and an envelope should be all you need to be able to play notes. When I add the oscillator, it starts buzzing, as expected. But when I add an envelope (AD or ADSR, for example), it doesn’t stop buzzing. I can change the note, but changing the slides on the envelope doesn’t do anything.

What am I missing?

Edit: the manual also suggests that the oscillator and envelope should be the same color, which they aren’t. Does that matter?

vca

Ah, I was using the Env ADSR rather than the Amp Env ADSR. Got it now

2 Likes

Aha yeah I had this issue too. Stick with it, I wouldn’t consider myself particularly well versed in building synths from scratch but Drambo starts to feel quite natural after a while.

Wish you could search through the list of devices though, sometimes takes me a while to hunt for something that I know is there somewhere!

1 Like

This thread should probably be updated to read “Drambo for iOS” since Drambo definitely runs on the iPhone. @LyingDalai are you able to do that? My apologies if not, I’m not use to tagging a mod :stuck_out_tongue:

:bowing_man:

1 Like

Why would you limit to ios when it runs on apple silicon macs. :crazy_face:

1 Like

loool I knew someone would say this! I think it just gets more wordy to say (iOS/macOS) and its not really the goal of Drambo development at this point. But not a strong opinion :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly, I bought Drambo yesterday and it runs my phone, tablet and laptop… universal apps are really great, same with miRack :sunglasses:

1 Like

I always find iPad-only apps really frustrating. I want to maintaing the same workflow outside of the house (on iPhones) and in it (iPad) but often find that that’s not possible

Just use an ipad mini as your phone then.
Id probably still use an iphone ultra pro max plus if it ran ipad apps, but fuck you apple…im not dropping 1200 for something that ill only use to text with.
And at the rate screens are just getting bigger, im just ahead of the curve now.

1 Like

Drambo does try to make logical connections for you but it sometimes depends on the order you add the device to the rack. In your case try adding the AD/ADSR first then drag the Envelope slightly to the right until you see the + sign appear in the gap, add the Oscillator there.

The key to mapping inputs and output is that you have to remember the signal flow goes left-to-right so if you want to add an Oscillator and an ADSR and Drambo doesn’t automatically map them logically, tap on the ADSR input (the sine wave icon) which will flash and show you which of the other module outputs you can connect (look for other sine wave icons).

The colour coding is to do with the inputs and outputs connections (these are the little icons at the bottom of each module e.g. the sine wave one is a signal connection (can be audio or cv) or the square wave one is the gate etc.

When an input is connected to the output of another module, the input icon colour will match the header of the module it’s connected to.

The key is you can’t send signals backwards in the module chain (generally) so if for example you had the ADSR module before your Oscillator you cannot map them together as the ADSR will be looking for an input from a module to its left which, if you have no other modules in that rack would be probably be auto mapped to the audio input of the Track.

I’m rushing out the door so I can go into it more later if you’re still stuck.

Haha! I can’t pretend that the thought hasn’t occurred to me…

I almost never make phone calls., and if I do it’s FaceTime audio, so an iPad mini would be a pretty good phone substitute.

Apple Watches should work with iPads though. Currently they require an iPhone.

And to get back on topic: Drambo is amazing

1 Like