Drambo (iOS)

Sounds cool and all. Drambo is amazing. and so many great patches on Patchstorage from the beta testers and those who provided invaluable feedback/ input to Giko. IMO charging $ for patches goes against the spirit, Inevitable I guess. But don’t be surprised if someone uploads your “product” to Patchstorage. It won’t be me, but don’t be bitter if that happens.

6 Likes

Is this patch entirely drambo modules or are you using some other AUv3 under the hood? Sounds great.

I honestly don’t agree. I’ve created a lot of Drambo patches on there but I have no issue if someone wants to charge. Some of these patches I’ve spent days on end constructing. I’ve made the choice to not seek profit for these patches, in part because I have a stable main source of income. But if someone charges for patches that’s fine too.

Much like someone creating presets for synths and selling them I don’t see why someone can’t create presets for Drambo and sell them. If someone uploads a “for pay” patch to patchstorage the creator should message patchstorage to get it pulled down.

“Open Source” projects are often a luxury hobby created by those with stability. In this world that’s not most of us.

5 Likes

Fair enough. I certainly wouldn’t want to somehow ban such commercial endevours,

But, at what point does the “for pay” patch cease to be the original “for pay” patch, after a couple of modules are switched and or added?

2 Likes

Completely agree, i bought the pack as i was already pondering how i could use drambo to make better use of drambo with my digitakt and linnstrument to provide ‘digital sounding’ poly synth sounds.

To me (who has little spare time to wire patches, an interrest in avoiding new GAS attacks, and too much money to spend), 7$ for someone to make something like this is very reasonable.

But on the other hand (especially if Drambo was open source freeware), i understand the argument of monetizing others shared work. But in my opinion it is not what is going on here.

and again, though there are many patches on patchstorage, i really think there is an enormous untapped potential in creating bread-and-butter synth engines in drambo, and use them in conjunction with other gear. I’m just not a skilled enough drambo’naut to get that shit done at this stage.

1 Like

I think if you’ve derived something from a for-pay patch, it counts as derivative and shouldn’t be sold (edit: or distributed) (unless for some reason the seller allows derivative sales, but that seems unlikely?)

In some cases figuring out if someone has done this may be impossible. But I’m hoping/assuming most patches people are selling are complex ones that’ll be pretty obvious to tell. But we will see!

Definitely. I also think selling these patches actually helps giku as well, as the more content there is in Drambo the more folks will adopt it.

1 Like

I meant someone posting a slightly altered version of a “for pay” patch for free, not for profit.

Sorry I meant “shouldn’t be sold or distributed”.

I’m speaking as someone who has no idea about the law behind selling synth presets and copyright :stuck_out_tongue:

I know time is money but Drambo is like 20 and that patch is 7. Imagine buying a synth and paying more than a quarter of the price for 1 patch lol. Can’t really say charge less because the time spent building it is probably more than that. Speaks for how cheap drambo is if anything. I wonder how long this golden era of iOS will last before it moves closer to the VST market

3 Likes

Sure, but swap or add a couple of modules and ain’t the same patch.

I’m someone who almost never buys presets so I don’t disagree. But some people find the price worthwhile.

1 Like

I’m thinking about the laws around remixing specifically in the USA. I don’t fully agree with these laws myself but its kind of the basis of a lot of international copyright law.

lol in the end this isn’t my problem. I distribute free patches and I don’t run patchstorage so I’ll let them deal with the possible mess.

M8, those doesn’t apply to much of the world beyond :wink:

Yeah me neither. If Drambo ever has a method to further customise GUI for your builds I’d consider buying some premade synths from people smarter than I. but until then basically anything complicated someone else builds is never gonna be as intuitive as something DIY’d. Like reaktors custom builds, people make custom graphics on there

1 Like

Copyright in General (FAQ) | U.S. Copyright Office. Also worth noting the US has a ton of sway over how other countries write their laws. I’m not saying I agree with it but it is a thing.

Good luck with imposing that on Runet.

You mean the market where we can have top notch reverbs for 0$ ?

Seriously though, and like you said, it’s not that the patches are expensive, it’s just Drambo that is incredibly cheap.

I honestly feel developers should charge more. They kinda short change themselves with pricing, but I understand that’s what the model is. 1.99 consumables.

I also don’t have problems with people charging for patches either. But it doesn’t really last.

The guy what wrote that quantum komposer suite for Mozaic originally charged. Frankly it’s a marvel of what Mozaic scripting can do, but in the end he just gave it away on patch storage. Probably cause he barely sold any (I assume).
I paid for it originally, just so I could get the code to copy sections for my own scripts.

If it was more universally adoptable, he might have sold a couple more, but it was really his own workflow, and that’s tough to bottle up and sell and everyone has their own integration issues with iOS. I don’t think I’ve seen anyones setup duplicated like they are on laptops.

3 Likes
3 Likes