Dreadbox Nymphes

They deviated from the original LFO rates. The V2 version fixed this and it now sounds pretty close.

4 Likes

Yea I think it means each voice has its own LFO even if they share the same settings. So as you trigger a voice that LFO is also triggered at that time. So you can get some interplay between the lfos as you fire off additional notes.

6 Likes

So basically a polyphonic lfo. Technically itā€™s correct, there are as many lfos as there are voices. Wording is a bit strange, though.

1 Like
8 Likes

Iā€™ve just watched the sonic state video. The LFOā€™s seem to be tracking the keyboard, so can all be played at different rates, so the whole 7 LFOs thing makes much more sense now.

Actually, having watched the demo, this is a pretty impressive bit of kit. Itā€™s not for me, but it really is pretty good, especially at that price.

3 Likes

Well ā€¦ now I want to watch 2049 :nail_care:t3:

1 Like

that looks pretty neat. i wonder how easy that slider UI will be when actually playing. maybe itā€™s not intended to be super playable like the typhon but more like a preset box with some tweakability.

MIDI functionality looks more extensive than anticipated.

A shame my favorite local shop doesnā€™t carry Dreadbox

Hoping we get an official no-talk demo of this soon, very eager to get a sense of its range and also hear how stable the audio-rate LFO is. Would be great to be able to get some bell tones out of the filters since they track so nicely in self-osc.

1 Like

cool that itā€™s a six voice analog.
donā€™t understand why there is no midi DIN inputā€¦
thatā€™s a shame!

I was curious about that. So itā€™s not necessarily that each voice has itā€™s own LFO itā€™s just that each voice can have itā€™s own start phase point? If so thatā€™s awesome.

2 Likes

Yeah. Thatā€™s how I understand it. To be honest, even though I love utter chaos, it would probably turn into a complete mess if every voice had a different LFO, both in terms of sound and the process of editing all of them!

1 Like

Thereā€™s a MIDI IN (DIN 5) but no MIDI OUT/THRU.

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s just 3.5mm MIDI in (along with MIDI in over USB). Unless theyā€™ve done a revision before releasing?

3 Likes

Correct, DIN 5 with the included adapter but no physical DIN 5 Port.

2 Likes

I suppose we should be happy that no one has attempted to create a MIDI version of the XJACK.

Clearly, they should have just standardized Ethernet over 3.5mm TRRRRRRS connectors instead.

4 Likes

Early Ethernet was coaxial.

The trouble with the coax family of physical layer ethernet is that it is essentially a very carefully tuned shared resonator with buffers at each end to eliminate reflections. That allows anyone to make a single broadcast and expect everyone else to be able to receive it. But you literally tapped into the cable with holes and metal spikes, so every new node added subtle reflections.

1 Like

Oh, I know ā€” Iā€™m not quite old enough to have worked with vampire taps, but I started out on thinnet and then jumped to 10baseFL and then OC3 to the desktop (that was weird). At one point, Broadcom even demoā€™d 100bT4 (their competitor to 100bTx that lost) over barbed wire.

Anyway, well and truly off topic now, so Iā€™ll stop.

4 Likes