Dreadbox Nymphes

Now that’s killer… really looking forward to hearing more from this!

This is what Dreadbox do so well. Take a fantastic oscillator and filter, ad a ton of modulation & routing options and sprinkle on a little ‘external’ special sauce. This is why I still love the Nyx Mk1 with the crazy tubes reverb, the parts ad up to more than the whole somehow.

8 Likes
1 Like

I’m assuming that the envelopes and LFOs that are listed as being per voice are not completely independent of each other.

Homer, Odyssey 10. 8 :
They come from springs [Naiades]
They come from groves [Dryades]
They come from the sacred rivers flowing seawards [Naiades].

2 Likes

Not a fan of the UI. Sliders with shift settings is asking for unnecessary mistakes whilst programming it.

1 Like

not convincible at all, comparing to my Ambika.
but looks sooooooooo cute! :heart_eyes:

Or an abundance of happy accidents, as per the Typhon? Admittedly, if you prefer knob-per-function, this is probably not the synth for you. I would argue that idiosyncratic UI design decisions are all part of the unique character of Dreadbox instruments.

2 Likes

I’m fine with shared knobs like on Elektron devices. It’s the lack of visual feedback in patches that can potentially become very annoying in live situations.

I have owned gear with similar interfaces such as the Malekko Varigate 4+ and I had the same issue. Happy accidents are definitely a plus, but when playing live or making a track I prefer stronger visual feedback to keep focus on my goal(finishing track / smooth live set).

Guess it depends on what you want to do.

6 Likes

Looking forward to hearing it in action, Love the size

My thoughts too.

What’s the completion? I can think of …

Roland JU06/A (which I owned and quite liked)

Waldorf Blofeld (probably more flexible but quite dissimilar character?)

3 Likes

About £80 more and you can get asm deaktop
It depends on which feature you prioritise

Shame it hasn’t got usb audio , though I’m assuming similarities with typhon … it’s not a standard feature amongst synths yet.

The audio on the trailer (ignoring the vocal ) sounds quite 80’s warble soundtrack.

2 Likes

To me that seems like an odd way of listing envelopes and LFOs, but I don’t read poly analog synth spec sheets that often. Really, 7 LFOs but 6 of them all do the same thing? I got excited thinking it may be like 6 part multitimbral lol.

I do like their advertisement with the synth sound gradually being brought in to the sound of the voice and the waves. I kinda wish it had a chorus but I can see why they’d want to avoid head to head juno 106/60 comparisons. They want it to be its own thing.

1 Like

Having a polyphonic set of LFOs/Envs that can keytrack is pretty useful for having more difference between your polyphonic voices. I’m glad its an option, generally poly synths don’t need THAT many modulations to sound good.

If you want multitimbrality there is the MFB synth pro, which gives a fair number of different options to split up the voices, including 8 mono voices. They aren’t in production currently (maybe they’ll come back?) but can be found occasionally for a tad over $1k USD. That felt like a cheap price for an analog poly BEFORE the Nymphes :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Oh cool I didn’t know the MFB synth pro could be run with 8 different mono timbres.

I see, so the difference is key tracking. I was thinking in terms of the dx7, which has 6 operators, 16 voices and 1 LFO which affects all voices. Not 6 operators, 16 voices and 16 LFOs. But with analog polys I guess it is different.

I agree though, I don’t think it would really need tons of LFOs to sound good if you’re planning to play it like a 6 voice poly.

1 Like

I think what @Fin25 meant was that when you assign the per-voice LFO’s, that assignment holds for all voices. these LFO’s can apparently only modulate cutoff or pitch (PW seems like an odd omission, btw). and they’ll each likely run at the same frequency. other than that, they’re likely independent from one another. the master LFO is independent of these and has 24 destination options. re: multitimbral… it’s not (apparently) but does have seven different play modes “including polyphonic 6-voice, polyphonic 3-note with two voices per note, duophonic with three voices per note, plus 6-voice and 4-voice unison modes and single-voice mono.”

re: Juno 106/60 comparison… I dunno, they kinda jumped over that one just by giving it two envelopes. I’m kinda glad it doesn’t have chorus. the Juno choruses are great, but noisy. and mono out means I can run into a chorus pedal of choice.

3 Likes

yeah I am really wondering about this, if the lfo are synced to each other, also 1 envelop per sound, so that you can shape really long transforming sound, depending on the length of the envelope… anyway - feels like it will be an awesome drone/etheral sound creation process… I loved the typhon a lot but the screen threw me off… this seems to really hit a sweet spot.

1 Like

I assume there’s LFO reset (on note on) per voice. So if you’re modulating pitch etc it will start at the same phase point for each note played rather than being a constant cycle affecting all voices simultaneously.

3 Likes

65 euro: tc electronic JUNE-60 Chorus V2 – Musikhaus Thomann

this thing sounds NOWHERE near a juno chorus. People are actually confused what went wrong.