Dreadbox Nymphes

Tim Shoebridge review/thoughts, and promise of an editor.

2 Likes
1 Like

As someone who buys synths to program rather than preset surf, this thing is annoying. Not because of the programming, but because unsetting everything to get to an init patch takes effort, and I canā€™t preview my user patches without an extra layer of clicks to load it, preview it, then repeat until I find the patch I was working with. All I want is a basic gate on/off saw with no modulation or reverb so I can start out making what I want, when I want it, and a quick way to find the ones I made.

The synth sounds awesome, but this will end up on the used market before long unless someone can tell me that Iā€™m being dense and missing something obvious.

1 Like

Hi you could try loading the initial poly or unison patches shown at the bottom of the preset list.
I donā€™t have a nymphes, but this is a similar behavior to the typhon

1 Like

G6 isnā€™t a bad start, but itā€™s also not really a straight Init. I just created user patch A1 to be a true init and Iā€™ll work from it. Iā€™m just an old curmudgeon who thinks all of the User banks should have been a Net0 init.

Day 2 impression is that this thing has a lot of versatility and opportunity for crazy things to happen with minimal effort. Canā€™t wait to get deeper into it to really learn how to control it. This is the first synth Iā€™ve owned where my Keystepā€™s ā€œHoldā€ function doesnā€™t do anything

4 Likes

Full transparency, I am a preset surfer but I also was a little bugged by the process to switch presets.
Maybe someday we can hope for a toggle to have the user or factory presets be the top layer and available to preview 7 at a time
I worked around this issue by sending midi to change the preset. Using the digitakt I can cycle through them all very quickly

3 Likes

Using the digitakt I can cycle through them all very quickly

This is where Iā€™ll end up eventually.

Luckily I got an availability email from Blokas yesterday and I now have a MidiHub on the way. Among other things, it should allow me to wire the Nymphes into a permanent spot where I can start using a DT midi track as a preset selector like you mentioned.

1 Like

for the hold/sustain function you have to enable MIDI CC In in the global settings. (menu - 7 - shift menu - 5 - rate fader up - menu)
took me a while to find that out, lol.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip! Does that setting save globally, or do I need to set it every time I power up?

ItĀ“s a global setting and you have to set it only once.

1 Like

That Shift + Menu portion made me crazy yesterday. It did not sink in that it was a combo press until I was way too deep into the insanity lol

2 Likes

Hi,
itā€™s demo Sunday again and this time, Iā€™ve had the pleasure to try out dreadboxā€™ polyphonic analog synth Nymphes. Maybe you find it useful.

15 Likes

Great sounds.

1 Like

Here is the 2.0 firmware update :slight_smile: (quite an update tbh)

New features
MPE support
Polyphonic aftertouch support
Polyphonic assignable targets
Preset import/export support
Factory presets can now be replaced
MIDI Channel Learn
Scaled Mode for slider control

Improvements
SHIFT button behaviour changed
CC transmit on Preset Load
CC list reworked
All Notes Off and All Sounds Off CCs added
Reverb control added to Modulation matrix through CC
Modulation target: Mod Wheel on PW changed
Shortcut for Global settings reset

Bug fixes
VCA envelopes scratching envelopes fixed
Voice Mode changing hanging notes

:raccoon: :koala: :wolf:

12 Likes

Benn Jordan comin at ya with his review

1 Like

I will get one eventually. Demos sound better to me than those of many other polys in higher price range

4 Likes

Anyone with a Nymphes have any experience with the minilogue xd for some comparison? Curious as I was considering this synth as a possible alternative for the price range.

I like what Iā€™ve heard, but decided inpsite of the fewer voices the xd has more going on. All hands on control for most parameters, and the system on the nymphes, though it seems well thought out, and simple enough, but actually dealing with it over not, the xd already won me over since owning it once before. But I could easily see myself getting this one day as it is pretty sweet.

1 Like

xd is a great feature package but I doubt it comes close to nymphes it terms of raw sound. Regarding my taste at least

3 Likes

Funny unboxing

? Well I wasnā€™t convinced Moog had anything really going on from youtube demoā€™s and then I heard it in person. The xd is plenty raw, but yeah, depends on taste. It takes me there and if it didnā€™t Iā€™d dump it.

Nymphes is good though. I can see how that really shines on the Nymphes in itā€™s setup. Pretty cool itā€™s so small, flexible, and affordable.