Dreadbox Nymphes

In case anyone here’s interested ( @senji had mentioned it above), I wound up making a patch utility for the Nymphes in the popular iPad app Drambo.

It lacks the elegance or support guarantees of paid patching tools, but it does have the full MIDI spec, surfaces menu commands like LFO sync mode and Legato, and includes PC and bank change commands. And the Drambo implementation lets you move UI elements around to suit your needs.

4 Likes

And some sound-design tips from the same person:

3 Likes

This is brilliant! Thank you for making this–I can’t wait to try it out. Unfortunately, I don’t have my Nymphes with me at the moment, so can’t right now, but look forward to doing so in the near future. All the best!

1 Like

2 more Nymphes sound-packs:

https://www.natlifesounds.com/product/pirin-for-dreadbox-nymphes/

https://www.natlifesounds.com/product/pirin-v2-for-dreadbox-nymphes/

3 Likes

Some Nymphes fun from me here folks!

4 Likes

Nice video. Thought the oscillator where unstable when I got my Nymphes as well. Turned out they weren’t in my case. If I remember correctly it was the second lfo that slowly modulated the pitch in the init patch (could have been an other parameter). If you haven’t tried already, activate lfo 2 and set parameters to 0. Might get you stable oscillators, in case you want it.

An impressive effort with 8 multi-tracked Nymphes:

Has anyone been using this with an MPE controller and had any success routing aftertouch to volume/sustain to get a good response to pressure to volume? Also, is it generally one assignment to each mod source or can you mix andatch, IE pressure to filter and volume/sustain?

Answering my own questions after a little time with it, incase anyone else asks…

Yes it does MPE, albeit with a 12 note bend range. You can set pressure/y axis to various/multiple things at once though it maybe positive modulation only - I’ll dig in more and update.

oh, and it sounds great.

2 Likes

Which controller are you using?

I was briefly looking at the KMI QuNexus again, for a little more playability…

Linnstrument.

1 Like

Not my video, nice house.
Another great one from them:

4 Likes

Since firmware update 2.0
“Factory presets can now be replaced”

@braken was annoyed by this on another thread.

I’ve been annoyed all over the internet about it! My NY resolution is just to shut up about it haha. Awesome little synth that I have one major (to me) gripe with.

My complaint is more that even though they can be replaced via sysex, they are static (no editing, no saving over), and that they always under-ride the user slots so that even if you’re in a blank user bank, you hear the default preset. I’d prefer it if they just didn’t exist at all because what I want when I go to a blank slot (which is pretty much every time I turn it on), is a simple INIT saw wave. I’ve also had some issues where patches I build won’t save or get overwritten by the default.

I was thinking about replacing every factory preset with a poly INIT…

2 Likes

The saving/loading process is the biggest pita about the synth in my experience - it’s very easy to overwrite the wrong slot or reload instead of save. It’s not a biggy but can be frustrating. Agree about the preset thing too - another level of pointless complexity to an already quirky process.

1 Like

Thanks for posting this, very cool. I’ve been pondering adding the Nymphes to my Digitakt and this has pushed me closer.

A few nice ambient performances:

3 Likes

Have you or anyone else here tried making a TB-303 / MC-202 acid patch on the Nymphes?

Seems like it should be possible with one of the mono or unison modes, and the device has enough features… (even sub, for 202)

Can a SYNTAKT sound like a 303? | How to set Portamento, Sound, Accent | The 303 sound deconstructed - YouTube is a good starting-point. (I’ll be using it with the Digitone)

1 Like

I have not but I will next time I use it before I send it back to it’s owner

1 Like