Dreadbox Nymphes

Picked up one of these fairly recently and what a brilliant thing it is. The menu layout is actually totally fine, hasn’t bothered me much at all really other than managing presets/user patches as mentioned by others, but I think I get it now.

There are some quirks with it too in other areas I think. Tiny things really but I still struggle with the fact that the EG and LFO options are swapped around between SHIFT and non-SHIFT between the Oscillator and Filter. It’s a really small thing but I always kind of question why that is for a split second. It bugs me more than it should probably.

The amp envelope being on SHIFT and the filter envelope being default feels off to me as well.

The filter on the Reverb being a low pass was an odd decision too. Feel like with the great sounds you can make with this thing a hi pass would make it sit better in a mix.

Great sounding synth though and I am really enjoying my time with this little box. Small size and bus powered is so great and still amazes me that it’s a six voice poly. There’s so much power behind the sound, definitely a keeper.

4 Likes

Same. Would love an option to swap it.

I does do a very good job at it actually!
You can check it out from 11:52 in this video :wink:

3 Likes

For anyone interested in a Nymphes editor for the iPad, I’ve made one for TouchOSC.
It definitely benefits from the larger screen models, but it’s perfectly usable on the “normal” size, and I’ve even used it on a mini.
I use it all the time just to see what I’m changing, and to check patch settings. I really made it for myself, but I see other people asking about an editor, so I figured why not let other people try it. I’d be happy to try to add any features if people have feedback.
It’s located here: Nymphes Controller & Patch Editor | Patchstorage

7 Likes

Thanks very much, it sounds great!

I haven’t managed to enable the Legato mode, so that you can do slides with overlapping notes. Here’s what the manual says about how,
I can get PLAY MODE to Mono easily, but I can’t quite figure out what “SHIFT + MENU” means to turn on Legato.

That looks great, thank you for sharing it! Haven’t bought TouchOSC, yet. Do you know, if your Nymphes editor works on the cheaper TouchOSC MK1 Version?

Sorry AM, I have to confess I haven’t tried it with the MK1 version (I don’t have it.) But the MKII version does work with older iPads, and it works fine on them.

1 Like

No worries — thanks for the info!

Wow, that’s a pretty vague instruction on the sheet, and I’d been meaning to try out some legato stuff on Nymphes. I think I figured it out by fiddling with it, it’s

Dial 1
Press Menu 1 time (to enter play mode selector)
Hold Shift and Press Menu to toggle Legato setting.

Or send CC 68 0 or 1 to toggle.

1 Like

There are a lot of ambient demos on YouTube, here’s something more 80s:

and Tame Impala:

5 Likes

What did you hear change with it off vs on?

I tried both the menu instructions and the CC 68.
I hear no difference, when playing Digitone either live or sequenced with overlapping notes, on and off (lack of feedback a pain).

(I was hoping to get an acid-like slide between notes, as in Digitone mono-legato, but maybe I’m over-optimistic)

Did you turn up the Glide setting?

With Legato mode off, Glide setting will affect every note
With Legato mode on, Glide setting will only affect overlapping notes

Yup, and just tested again, no dice - turning up glide makes tied and short notes alike into a smear.

I’m on the latest firmware, maybe I should do a factory reset.

Not sure if this is something possible on your sequencer, but check to see that it isn’t in mono mode. I just sent two sequences at the Nymphes from Syntakt and Hapax and both are gliding as expected in Legato mode.

Not sure of any other things that might be a stopper here, sorry!

1 Like

I did think of one other thing. Make sure that the selector knob is in the A/1 position when you do the Shift+Menu command for Legato. I just recreated my steps and forgot to turn it back after setting the Mode to mono, and it didn’t work. Turning it back to A/1 then S+M did set it to 303 style glide

Thanks! You and @Humanprogram together helped to figure it out.

The additional piece: I was diligently entering the Play Mode sub-menu, before trying S+M.

But it actually needs to be done in the main menu, albeit with the selector on 1.

Here are the full instructions in painful detail to get Mono-legato on Nymphes:

1. press Menu to enter main menu
  2. move selector to 1, press Menu to enter Play Mode sub-menu
  3. move selector to 6, press Menu to confirm Mono - exits
  4. move selector to 1, press Menu to enter main Menu
  5. hold Shift and press Menu
    You’re done.

Ideally do this with a sequence including overlapping notes playing, and Glide halfway up to hear the difference as Legato engages.

2 Likes

Here is their patch pack:

Download links in the video description.

I’d been planning this for a while, and now that I’ve finished, and find it wonderful and inspiring I thought I’d share in case others found it useful:

The problem: it’s cumbersome to find or keep copying around an init patch on Nymphes, and the factory sounds often have assigned modulations or settings that make clearing a patch a chore.

The Solution: Nymphes Init Factory: replacing the factory bank with copies of an init patch mean that an init patch, a wide-open saw with square envelopes and zero modulations in poly mode, is always a long press of SAVE/LOAD away.

This replaces the Factory bank of patches with a saw wave, open filter, no modulations, square envelopes, bpm-synced LFOs, etc.

Some quick steps:

1. Please back up all your patches as described on p 20 of the manual; this won’t erase user patches, will erase the factory patches, worked on my Nymphes running firmware 2.1, caveat emptor
  2. Connected with the same MIDI-Ox or other Sysex sender, send this file: NymphesInitsFactory.syx (108.6 KB) [Edit: this updated patch file has the MW mapped to a subtle amount of LFO1->Pitch, the gentle vibrato that’s often standard on MW’s and is strangely hard to dial in on Nymphes’s 5th slider … NymphesInitFactoryMWVib.syx (108.6 KB) ]
  3. When loading a patch on any bank, hold SAVE/LOAD on loading until it blinks to access the init patch. You can save results into the user bank in the same or a different user slot.

Want to do the same with your own favorite init settings? See p 20 of the 2.0 manual, et an init patch (07 01), find it in the sysex dump, then copy it and iterate the sub-bank/patch numbers: F0 00 21 35 00 06 01 01 [BB:01-07] [PP: 01-07] … F7 for the 49 factory patches. I found it easiest to work in a good text editor with find/replace and word wrap turned off, then paste back into Midi-OX.

7 Likes

Can you share how you set it up to change presets via the Digitakt? I’m hitting my head against the wall trying to get it to work, with no sucess.

Regrettably it has been sitting in a box since a recent move, but I think I just set up a DT midi track to the same channel as the Nymphets
Then just twist the PC nob on the SRC page of the midi track

It could have been the bank nob, but I think it was one of the pre set ones on the page

Also FYI I think it follows the idea where pc message 0 = present 1 and so on