Dreadbox Nymphes

MM2 does cover a wider array of sounds, but this looks like it might be a more hands on experience. I could see it being useful to have both.

Dimitra from Dreadbox here:
The message regarding the abused women, is a vigilance, a shake to all of us, so that we don’t forget what is happening next to us EVERYDAY. Here in Greece the last year we had so many femicides that made us all frightened and disgusted. I guess that almost everywhere happens the same.

The message, which I wrote btw, is not a marketing trick in order to monetise over abuse. If we wanted to use abuse for this reason, we would add that “We will offer a part of the proceeds to charities who help abused women”. THAT IS A MARKETING TRICK

We do make donations at many organisations and there is no need to Shout out about this.
We do not help minorities and oppressed humans, so that we tell the world that we are helping them.
We help them because we feel that this is the correct thing to do when you care about people around you.

I am really sad that my message brought such feelings to some people.
I will continue talking and writing about my thoughts and beliefs, no matter what

82 Likes

I appreciate this reply. I don’t mean to shout, just to call out the fraught nature of capital and abuse that rules our world. I’m definitely not saying DreadBox is tricking people, just that this sort of communication on its own is similar to that done by many companies today to signal virtue. Hearing about this with more context like what you have provided is really important, thank you.

16 Likes

Of course support the abused/less fortunate. But to add “smash the patriarchy” to market a synth makes me cringe.

2 Likes

Let’s not send this thread south. @GloriaEstebahn wrote a good message about the situation for women in Greece and worldwide and why Dreadbox are putting that message out there. Let’s leave it at that and discuss the synth instead of having a silly debate about the message/marketing that, as I say, will only lead to flags, derailing and possibly some horrible comments/jokes

Mod edit: what he said!

22 Likes

I still don’t see how playing your synth should ease the pain of struggling women and why it should makes me feel better about myself. It doesn’t shock me, doesn’t make me think and doesn’t induce empathy. It confuses me and makes me feel like a worse person than who I am.

For me personally this one paragraph is the only problem I have with the message you are conveying on a landing page.

@craig sorry, that would me my last off topic message

4 Likes

Yeah, seriously, let’s take the discussion back to the synth and away from debate over the marketing

1 Like

Wish you success, Dreadbox, I like the brand and the people there.
But I would have definitely got myself a Typhon x6. I just love it, this synth is a beast and a beauty at the same time.

Nymphes is not seducing me much… which is good anyway, as I don’t need another synth :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I was kind of thinking the same thing — this both looks lovely and also bullet dodged. Then again, I fear that the Abyss may prove an even greater challenge.

2 Likes

Yeah, me too! Poly Typhon would be interesting. And also 4 parts multitimbral Medusa?

You’re right, this synth is dope.

I just have a hard time coming to terms with social justice phrases like that. I shouldn’t let this be distraction, I support this endeavor.

Sorry mods, that’s my final bit about that.

I hope that truly was the last. And if it aint the mods will take care of it.

For me the small footprint for a 6-voice poly analog is an attraction.

3 Likes

The typhon effects are some of my favourite ever in a synth. To me they’re the biggest selling point. Makes sounds I can’t get anywhere else, which for such an affordable synth, is fantastic!

This looks great, I wish it had some of the typhon effects though.

1 Like

That´s a Juno 6 Desktop clone, right?

1 Like

looks pretty much like what i was expecting, but price point is a bit lower than i thought it would be! looking forward to hearing more extensive demos, this just might be my next poly.

sounds like well intentioned but kind of awkward marketing. i think if you are willing to talk about making life better for women in order to sell synths and bring awareness, then being secretive about how you materially support them is a little odd i guess? being public about your message but private about your actions is just a little strange, maybe someone can help me out here?

2 Likes

sounds great. I love the very Stranger Things theme sounding demo video.

I’m suspicious of the slider/shift combo though. typically I love sliders because it’s very easy to see what everything is set to. but with every slider basically representing two values (or more?) that’s not going to be the case.

I’d love to know whether or not the Abyss V2 is going to be coming soon before going after this thing.

Sigh, pre-ordered. I have been eying the Dreadbox stuff for awhile as well as some other stuff and this one checks a lot of boxes (at least at first glance) so ya. It won’t start shipping until early December so I can always change my mind but feeling pretty confident that it will scratch multiple itches (small and portable Juno-ish analog, bonus points for the built in verb).

1 Like

I understand that corners must be cut to hit a price point this low, but the fact that this can only be powered by USB is a deal breaker for me. I can forgive that in controllers that are primarily intended to be used with a DAW, but even my Arturia Keystep 37 has a DC connector should I prefer not to power it from my MacBook. I can’t say the TRS MIDI connector and lack of MIDI thru are helping either. Sounds nice though.

There’s no voice panning or anything like that, nothing stereo, or maybe I missed something?

Headphone out is dual mono then.

1 Like