Dreadbox Typhon

Thank you, Peter!
If I recall, I’d reset the midi so that the Typhon was listening for channel 1, the Typhon was sending on auto channel 16.
Following the manuals guide for setting up an OT as a MIDI controller. Still… no dice.
I feel like I am close… just a bit of a struggle here when I thought I’d had it all sorted out. Story of my life with MIDI

Unfortunately, the Typhon does not send midi cc when turning knobs (yet?).

It only recognizes incoming cc.

3 Likes

That would be what’s getting in the way. Thank you.

MIDI CC out will be coming in a future update.

4 Likes

Yeah Dreadbox had it on their to-do list indeed! Hopefully this summer :slight_smile:

Let’s hope it doesn’t take until 2023! Lol

For anyone interested in, they released it:

Gonna grab it one, three cats, synths are fur collectors.

Just a note for all US-buyers… $41 USD is absolutely fair for this (which is what € 39 is currently). That said, in the US it will cost a whopping $60-$80 USD, which is hilariously overpriced.

As a reminder, here is @funkylsk’s case (thx again buddy):

I just wish I could find a decent 3D printer & filament that handled “translucent” filament as clear as it is on a DeckSaver. This is your average “translucent” end results:

Can it be polished in any way? I assume a lot of that is from the surface, but then I guess the nature of priniting is all the layers, so might just not be possible?

I guess the transparent option is $40+shipping ^^
Why would you need to see the box through the case anyway?
I personally need it to be solid, make the Typhon transportable without damaging the knobs, and keep dust away. And the printed version offer all this for a dollar or so.

My issue is that 3D printed objects (especially thin ones that are “translucent”) just aren’t nearly as durable as a molded polycarbonate shell. I’ve got a 3D printer and I have several friends that also 3D print - trust me when I say the quality cannot match what Decksaver makes (though I realize you have to pay for that quality).

Trust me, the one @funkylsk printed to me is the concrete type, pretty hard to break.
It already did its job a few times, and I can’t see any scratch on it.

I will not pretend is pretty. But it definitely does the job.
(And I’ve brought the Typhon to all my outside jams since it arrived, a year ago.)

3 Likes

Yikes… yeah, that’s not something I’d personally want to have in my own studio. I’ll splurge for the DeckSaver (I’ve already got DeckSavers for all of my other gear and that would stick out like a sore thumb). Cool that it works for you, though. It does look pretty thick.

That looks like it would survive longer than the Typhon underneath!! :joy:

But… it’s a gift!
And it’s DIY. I’m pretty proud to have this alternative cheap and robust solution, to be honest :smile:

4 Likes

I have a quick question, not sitting in my studio ATM on USB midi. Can the Typhon mirror incoming USB midi to the DIN Midi out? So, work as a Midi interface?

No. Just MIDI in/out/thru.

1 Like

Hello guys
something i’m trying to figure out is it possible to use the step sequencer modulator while being sequenced by an external gear (octatrack for me)? Thought using midi CC but seem weird that the only way …