Dreadbox Typhon

Question - does anyone know if theres a way to get the step seq modulator to trigger envelopes on each step? I can’t seem to figure that out. Thanks :slight_smile:

if you simply want an envelop at each step you can use the envelope modulator and sync it to key (or bpm+key).

if you want to control on which steps the envelope should (not) fire, you can use the the step sequencer to modulate the ‘volume’ of the envelope, you can address custom targets of the following modulator (e.g. modulator 2 is set to envelope, modulator 1 to step modulator). set the modulation to -100. and the step value to 100 if you want to suppress an envelope for the according step. step value 0 leaves it as is.

hope this makes sense.

2 Likes

you need to set the step modulator in motion by starting the internal sequencer. you can stop it after, but this should start the modulator. — it’s a bit of a funny behaviour, but that way it worked for me if i remember correctly.

Im curious about one thing.
Someone had tried to reinject the output signal into the input to creat feedback loop?
I have received mine today but im afraid to burn the input…
Maybe with modulations paramètres it could be a great result :thinking:

Let us know how it works out for you.

1 Like

New Typhon owner here. I love the thing, but I’m struggling to think of any gear I’ve owned with a worse collection of out of the box presets, and I own both an Ultranova and a MicroFreak which sets a high (low?) bar

2 Likes

Any idea how I can work out the delay times on this thing?

Enabling sync on the delay only allows for full note divisions e.g. 1/8, 1/4 and 1 or 2 notes etc which never sound good on a delay IMO, where’s the dotted and triplet times? This seems a huge omission but such a simple thing

I switched off sync thinking I’d get millseconds but of course all you get is a value between 0 and 100. What the hell :frowning:

this is not directly helpful, but i seem to remember some tips around delay timing further up the thread somewhere. if we haven’t discussed it here before, i’d be surprised, but you can also hit up dreadbox about it.

@rockpapergoat is right … :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks
This all seems a little convoluted but I’ll give it a try

I recently discovered for myself how good Typhon is.
For some reason i ignored it for a long time :hm: im sorry dreadbox
Not only its tiny and sounds smooth, but its also stacked with useful FX while being affordable (and adorable :flushed: )

Looking forward to pairing one with DN, for bass/lead duties.

EDIT: Ive been reading through Typhon manual and it seems like there is no program change via midi? Can someone confirm/deny if you can recall patches externally.

3 Likes

You can — sending program change values from Ableton Live works flawlessly, so it shall be the same from any other device.

2 Likes

thats awesome, thank you! :heart:

Welcome & thanks to Dreadbox for that, they are doing a great job with their gear, and their firmware updates. The CC implementation of the Typhon is comprehensive, and CC parameter send is coming in a future update, which will allow for editing via an editor (or MIDI controller) including feedback.

4 Likes

Yep. It worked. I didn’t find great sounding results though, I didn’t insisted in.

1 Like

Can anyone identify if this is the power supply noise everyone is referring to? I’m getting a “queeked” kind of sound, but only when the Typhon isn’t playing anything. Reminds me a bit of my friend’s noisy modular gear.

I’ll also note that I’m NOT powering the Typhon by plugging directly in to my computer, which seems to be the source of the issue for most. I’m instead going in to in to an apple power supply that’s running in to my wall.

Yes, that is indeed what mine used to sound like before I did the soldering trick and switched to the USB Y-cable for data/power. In fact, mine was a little louder - but it was that same sound.

Darn, ok. Anything involving opening the case and soldering parts together is way past my level of commitment to this thing, so I guess I’ll either learn to live with it or trade in for a DB-01. I’ll also see if I have any other power supplies lying around the house to test with.

Definitely worth doing. I’ve never had any noise on my Typhon running it from various USB chargers with around 2A supply.

2 Likes

Before I did my repair, the only way I could get around the issue was to power my Typhon directly from a battery power pack (no wall wart - like a USB battery power pack). DC tends to clean up any noise issues with the Typhon. That worked great with the 5-pin MID DIN, but I wanted to use USB-MIDI, hence my repair. It’s not as hard as it sounds - I followed this guide right here:

https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7527704

2 Likes