Dreadbox Typhon

Thanks but…

2 Likes

Honestly, I prefer those overlays from overskins- they address some long outstanding visibility issues (the glyphs below the screen now match the sliders as they always should have, and the shift button is actually labelled, as are all of the inputs on the back). And that pop of color is nice. The only thing that was really cool about that Limited Edition was the presets that came with it, but we all got those in Firmware 2 (or maybe it was 3.0)? Can’t remember.

[mod edit: overskins.com doesn’t exist, could you provide a working link?]

Hi Typhonistas :wink:

would it soundwise make sense to add a Typhon to a setup where an A4MKII already exists or would the handling of the Typhon just be (more?) fun?

Yes. Very different flavours. I prefer Typhon lowpass filter than A4’s.

3 Likes

Oh my GAS! :drooling_face:

The effects on the Typhon are also wildly different to the A4’s - not better, there are just more of them with a wider variety of sounds.

3 Likes

Have other people used the Typhon as an effects box? I wanted some effects (particularly a low pass filter) on my Yamaha CP73 stage piano. I re-read my Typhon’s manual and realised the aux in is before the filter! I tried it and it sounds great. It is easy to set up.

Unsurprisingly, the aux in is mono, but that is an acceptable limitation to me. You can save out FX presets, and take advantage of the Typhon’s clocked modulations.

The Typhon really feels like a synth that keeps giving.

4 Likes

Yes, though not for a while, and not since the latest firmware updates a while back that added all manner of new effects. I’ve been getting back into the Typhon and disappearing into tweaking it for hours, so using it as an effects box again is up next.

3 Likes

I tried MM2 thru audio in. Interesting but mono is annoying for me. I also tried feedback, using 1 Typhon output going to in. Not great. Next I want to add WMD Geiger Counter in the loop…

I like distortions and reverb. I don’t use delay (still no dotted times?) nor chorus, not convinced yet, but I didn’t experimented them enough to be sure…

1 Like

I’ve been running a clavinet sound through the analog filter, then ensemble and cloud reverb at 100% mix to get those ambient washes similar to what I hear from the Hologram Microcosm on youtube. It sounds so good.

3 Likes

Yes I’m waiting for those dotted delay times as well… I really hope they will add that soon!

again and again — you can do perfectly in sync dotted delay times with the typhon. so confused about this request.

How ?

3 Likes

That’s a good workaround, thanks for mentioning!

However, it uses up a whole modulation slot, just to created dotted delay times, which is not ideal. It also is cumbersome to setup. So I still hope Dreadbox will add dotted delay times.

3 Likes

Thanks but sacrifying a modulation for that is not satisfying for me.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve started using it lately on my mixer FX send and it sounds amazing!

1 Like

Sadly I still can’t make the preset manager work… My Typhon just doesn’t seem to be recognized by the software. It does show up in Device manager (I’m on Windows 10 Pro).

Any tips?

@mprinsen I had the same issue with mine. The preset manager wouldn’t recognize the unit and I couldn’t back up the presets in the update so I finally just ran the update and lost all my presets. It kinda soured me on the unit for a couple months because I lost my work but it works perfectly fine now on the current firmware.

I did manage to create a connection with my laptop. So it seems it is not just Typhon’s fault…