Dreadbox Typhon

Hi,

Was wondering if users who have experience with the older Dreadbox models, and who now own the Typhon, would be willing to elaborate on the sound character similarities/ differences? I did some searching and YouTube watching but haven’t arrived at any firm conclusions, probably due to the fact that many Typhon demos are drenched in stereo effects.

Only ask because I have a Nyx v1 that I love the sound of but am attracted to patch memory and the (huge sounding) effects.

Thanks for any feedback in advance!

1 Like

What IS Dreadbox using for paint, washable markers?

2 Likes

I remember one or two peeps on MW being really super certain that Erebus v2. sounded better than Erebus v3.

Older always sounds better than newer, logic and reasoning be damned. :laughing:

1 Like

I cannot speak to how it compares to the Nyx v1, but I’ve yet to find a single “complaint” about the Typhon sound.

I am curious for those who might have both. They could even do some fun A/B comparisons since the Typhon sequencer does send out MIDI notes.

2 Likes

…like the unobtainium Soviet-era germanium diodes…

Yup, if I don’t say my thing has the Soviet diodes, you think it sounds “meh”.

But after I tell you then it’s the most awesome shit ever

I think a piece of cracked pepper fell in between my sliders, and it’s never sounded better.

3 Likes

It’s that “flava”…

2 Likes

So that’s the secret to the hotness of your tracks. :sunglasses:

Holy shit :dizzy_face:

« I try to emulate the same type of sound of my Moog Dfam and morphed with a Tb303 acid type of sound. And The result it was this, only Typhon in standalone, no external inputs or fx or added, only the internal synth and fx engine of the Dreadbox Typhon »

13 Likes

I’ve not tried this yet, but the Nyx v1 has a rather different filter and modulation setup to both the Typhon and any other synth in existence. Both sound great… will try to combine and compare the two soon.

1 Like

It sounded nice but it looks like his fingers are getting burnt touching some of the dials.

6 Likes

:laughing:

1 Like

Indeed! I watched the sonic lab videos for both Nyx 2 and Erebus 3 last night.
Both are so powerful (glide per OSC!) and different, with the Nyx being quite unique.

Both videos had me appreciating a few things Typhon could do that those large men Dreadbox synths could not:
Stereo output
Filter/fx external input
Legato

If I had the money and no hang ups about keeping my setup compact, I’d own them all!

4 Likes

Nyx v1 has one of the most unique sounds I’ve ever heard straight out of a synth. The way the modulators work with that reverb is incredible. I may need to pick up one again… I’m just so focused on the Lyra right now.
And the Typhon I’m sure when if ever gets here :confused:

2 Likes

Haha!!! I read your comment before watching and couldn’t stop thinking that!!! It looked like the sliders weren’t nearly as hot though.

1 Like

I’m working hard on building a Dreadbox collection… the setup is not compact, mind, but at least none of them have keyboards to take up space.

The Typhon really has taken them into seriously expanded areas with the stereo and the FX. The Nyx and Erebus do have external audio inputs too, though I must admit to rarely using them.

2 Likes

I’ll probably end up with a Dreadbox collection eventually. Typhon is definitely on the list for the amazing price-performance ratio. Next will probably be Nyx v2. Then probably a Eurorack modular for supplying modulation to the Nyx 2, and I wouldn’t be surprised if a Dreadbox oscillator or two snuck into the modular since the Chromatic series is so low cost and packs a surprising feature set into each unit.

1 Like

You’re right. Thanks for that correction.
I misunderstood something said in a video review but now looking at the patch bay, it is obvious.

Since they’ve done so well with the Typhon, and it’s still a firmware update or two from true completion, I’m excited to see what Dreadbox does next.

Their Chroma euro modules are serious bang for buck.

1 Like

This track was done with just a Nyx v1 sent through a Bastl Thyme, with no midi, keyboards or sequencing involved - it felt like the synth was speaking to me from the subconscious while it was being played:

Which is more or less how I use the Nyx most often, rather than as a melodic synth.

I did some semi-similar experiments with the Typhon when I first got it, sending multiple modulations all over the place and relying heavily on low probability triggers to generate very some abstract sounds in conjunction with the reverb and other modulators being patched in interesting ways - I will have to check if I recorded them, because I managed to lose my first set of patches when trying to update the firmware (the lesson I learned is don’t try to use Wine for Typhon backups!)

8 Likes