Dreadbox Typhon

I’ve been working with them on this, this morning.
Found another issue that popped up, they confirmed, and have a fix for that included, and I’ll be testing the beta firmware later today.

14 Likes

I got to try things out for a while last night. I did not have any other devices out to try it with MIDI-wise (as I’m still in the process of moving). However, the added effects are really nice! I love setting the pitch shifter to a 3rd and barely on, then running the granular reverb. You get some really eerie sounding shifts after the initial note hits. Very cool. I basically just got lost in sound design for a few hours last night. :smiley: Again…

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for your efforts :ok_hand:

4 Likes

I like that they’re been quite open about the update , their intended deadlines and openly working with people to tweak it even more.

I’d love to buy one …

3 Likes

Thanks for keeping us up to date. Very interested in this box but the timing issues were a major dealbreaker for me. When I see that you’re happy, I’ll preorder!

1 Like

sure, but i rely on MIDI synced modulations a lot, so this particular issue is super critical for me.

1 Like

Something the Typhon really excels at promoting… I spent far too long tweaking the Disco preset with the new phaser, reverbs and high-pass filter FX.

2 Likes

Oh I get it, my main point is this will probably all be worked out before you receive your unit, so best to keep your place in line rather than go to the back of the line (if you already had a pre-order in)

I wouldn’t be putting so much effort into this if I didn’t love the sound of this synth and appreciate its possibilities. The sequencer + OSC/filter sound + FX quality + depth of modulation is a combination not found in competitors at this price point.
So even though I am not invested in it, other than as an owner of a single unit, I want it to succeed and am doing everything I can to help make that happen.

3 Likes

not yet, but keeping on my list, this issue defines priority.

Did anyone else have trouble updating their Typhon?
I get a “Connection Rejected” error when I try to update mine.
I’m on the latest version of Windows 10

By the way, they offered for anyone to test the beta version of the update that’s supposed to correct the problem, so if you want to lend a hand and try syncing your Typhon with some other devices they have, I think they would appreciate it!

I was so close…

I got that error once. I simply unplugged the USB cable, re-plugged, let it detect again, then tried again. Worked fine.

1 Like

I wonder if there any demo of the new pitch shifter fx ? Or at least a screen capture of the available settings. The owner manual is not up to date.

I wonder if the pitch is by semitone or free (like +3600/-3600) and if there is a feedback setting and or a window/scale to set the portion of signal treated.

Pitch shifting is one of my favorite effect, so I’m very impatient to see the Sinevibes “granular pitch shifter” in action :stuck_out_tongue:

Update! When did 2.0 come out? SICK!

Haven’t delved into it properly yet, but here’s a quick pic. Shows min/max semitone

1 Like

Thank you for the pic!

I’m disappointed it’s only in semitones, but it’s generally the case for a “musical” pitch shifter.

When it’s available in cents, I use to slowly modulate the pitch with a lot of feedback to create some bursts of noise, but it not something you can achieve with a lot of pitch shifter. To my researches, only the H3000 or Crystallizer from SoundToys allows to properly do that. Even The Eventide Pitch Factor pedal limiting this possibility since it smooth/morph the sound as the values change. (It’s a shame :p)

Anyway, I can’t wait to hear it. This open another sound palette to the Typhon.

2 Likes

Ok so in fact the full firmware notes/updated manual user is on the zip file of the update:

3.3 Granular pitch shifter

Granular pitch shifter uses real-time buffer recording and dual variable playback heads to speed the incoming audio up or slow it down, changing its pitch. This algorithm features high-quality spline interpolation for ultra- smooth pitch adjustment within the range of two octaves. Its built-in feedback line also applies the pitch shift recursively – enabling creation of truly ethereal, spacey sounds.
Controls are:

• SEMI L : sets how many semitones (up or down) the pitch changes for the left channel
  • SEMI R : sets how many semitones (up or down) the pitch changes for the right channel - DAMP : this is a filter (high pass at 1 to 100, and low pass at -1 to -100) on the total effect - FEED : feedback control
  • MIX : dry/wet mix

“This algorithm features high-quality spline interpolation for ultra- smooth pitch adjustment within the range of two octaves.” Sounds promising, but hard to tell without trying

No info about the lengh of the buffer size… I have sent an email at Sinevibes about it.

The Granular cloud Reverb seems pretty dope, and include settings I miss in the pitch shifter (SIZE parameter)

3.5 Granular cloud reverb
This effect, continuously records audio into a buffer, and at the same time plays up to 12 separate grains from it – with each grain having its own randomised size and position within the buffer. Together with feedback and additional psychoacoustic stereo widening, this creates a lush “cloud of sound” reverb effect.
Controls are:

• TUNE : Detuning of each grain
  • SIZE : grain length
  • FEED : feedback
  • GRAIN : amount of active grains. From -12 to 12. Negative values set the playback in reverse - MIX : dry/wet mix

I’m in the process of moving, so I can’t make demos right now. The pitch shifter can shift by semitones for sure. I’d need to look to see if it has fine tuning. Combined with some of the other effects, it can really make some amazing sounds. Definitely a welcome effect.

1 Like

I have not tested this

But here ya go.

So midi clock sync bugs are still present.
Other bugs addressed.

https://www.dreadbox-fx.com/typhon/

6 Likes

preliminary findings of 2.0.1

Yes, the internal clock is rock solid now. I’ve had it manually running at 133bpm, with my MS now for several minutes without drift. Tried other BPMs. All was good.

And yea, that inverted VCF/VCA envelope display has been fixed, was only present in 2.0 and was a real head scratcher while I was using it with the new “catch” slider behavior.

This makes it finally a usable state, even without stable external MIDI clock sync (which I just tested and confirmed that it still drifts, and they are working on it.)

So for now, we can at least jam with the internal sequencer holding the same tempo as our other gear. Just not clocked from external MIDI.

So dust off your DJ skills, start the sequencer manually, nudge it +/- a BPM to get it locked in, and let it ride!

12 Likes