Dreadbox Typhon

Just tried syncing the Typhon to my Roland TR-6S and holy messed up clock Batman! 8 steps set to 16th division at 88bpm and the sequence goes out of sync usually by its third repeat. Could I be doing something wrong? I have told the TR not to send any other MIDI data and made sure they were on different channels to be sure. I am on 2.0.1 and it is unusably bad! Otherwise this thing sounds amazing, though I wish it had a noise source.

1 Like

They are working on it. It will come in the next update. They told me by the end of the month.

Thanks for the reply! From what I was reading it seemed like the timing issues were more “lose a beat every 4-7 minutes”, not in 1.5 bars, hence why I was wondering if I was doing anything wrong.

It’s called a Typhon, so why do I always feel like playing GTA: Vice City after using it?

The timing issues are frustrating, so I usually end up crafting the sound and sequence in tandem, then recording a few iterations of the sequence and correcting them in the DAW for now.

As @AdamJay first pointed out in this thread, the 4 to 7 minutes “losing sync” is when using Typhon’s internal clock set to same tempo as drum machine, or whatever it needs to play in time with., then start Typhon manually. Partner came over with Typhon again tonight and we laid down a very rhythmic Typhon line like this - cca 7 mins. It wasn’t necessary for us - appears Typhon has same timing as Cubase - but clocks at same BPM do differ: nudge up/down a bpm momentarily if required.

1 Like

Changed my focus on using Typhon for more mono strings/pads.
So far I’m pleased with the results.

5 Likes

Is anybody making and selling a deck saver for the Typhon yet? Would like to purchase one. This baby is going to be with me a long time and I want to take good care of it. Especially seeing as I live in the tropics with very high humidity.

2 Likes

Air con is your best friend for your electronic devices in these conditions :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, I think that using the internal clock and setting the same BPM is the only option that works if you do not use the internal sequencer.

I tried setting all notes to rest. The sequencer still runs, so it ends up ignoring the midi input. I also tried leaving notes but setting probability to zero - same thing. My guess is it’s because the sequencer is set up to transpose based on midi input. Transposing a zero is still zero

That doesn’t prevent cat hair though :slight_smile:

1 Like

@rockpapergoat @autophader - I started a page to start collecting info in one place here: Introduction | Typhon Wiki (dreadboxunofficial.github.io) - if you want to add any other projects let me know and I’ll add you to the “DreadboxUnofficial” org I created.

I got the MIDI CC list up and am going to read back through this link to make sure I get the other references up on the wiki including links to latest firmware notes & known issues.

8 Likes

Sounds good Madmonkey. I got pretty far with my Perl script but haven’t actually tested importing a generated patch, and I have no idea if my parameter rangers are correct. I’m back at work on Monday and will probably be slacking off in no time, will see if I have any time to work on it.

1 Like

do any of the parameters in the patches seem to line up with MIDI CC values? That would be darn convenient

nice! thanks @madmonkey and @autophader. will try to add anything useful if i can.

1 Like

Not totally sure I understand the question, but as far as I can tell no. There are just arbitrary keys for value assignments.

To be clear I’ve done almost nothing useful with this script, I was just blowing off work for a bit one day and took at crack at writing some boiler plate functions for handling the text files I saw in @rockpapergoat 's Github. If I have some time next week though I’ll try and take a more serious crack at it.

Here’s my hacked together MIDI message blocker. That effectively disables the sequencer for me. MIDI mods | Typhon Wiki (dreadboxunofficial.github.io)

oh, i also committed a short readme and my backups to that new org. feel free to add your patches.

1 Like

And dust too of course :wink:

Finger poised on the “buy” button as I’ve read this entire thread. If I do though, I’ll be selling my Bass Station II, to save space if nothing else. Thoughts? I’m reasonably confident the MIDI sync issue will be ironed out, but can this be a suitable replacement for the BS? I like synthwave type stuff and will be integrating the Typhon with a Minilogue XD, a Circuit, and a Digitakt.

Honestly, if it’s only to save space, then I would tell you to not sell the BSii. Typhon is very small. I can also imagine that they’d be a lot of fun together.