Dreadbox Typhon

Yes, I’ll stick at it, thanks.

1 Like

Anyone know of any raised/angled stands suitable for the Typhon? Ideally available in the UK?
Google isn’t bringing much up.

I’ve got a number of these. One of which I use for the Typhon.

1 Like

Nice. I’m using a spare 3d printed DT stand and it’s too unstable. Will pick one of these up when i get paid.

I get this too just so you know you’re not alone. This is my first analog too and I guess it just comes with the territory.

100%. I have lost hours and hours to just creating all sorts of sounds. The modulation options are incredible. Particularly enjoying (as outlined above- that’s for the tip!) playing with FX3 levels to get a rhythm out of the reverb tails.

Initial patch and then just lose yourself!

3 Likes

Hi there! Detuning is a thing with analog synths. Temperature affects the circuit which in turns affects the oscillators. Typhon has an autotuning procedure running in the background every 8 seconds or so taking around 2 seconds to complete. Unfortunately this is audible so it waits for the VCA to be off in order to run it. So if you leave a sequence running for a long time it won’t get the chance to run the autotuning routine and detuning will be noticable.

16 Likes

How you power the device can have an influence on pitch, too (power starving is a thing).
Again and again I’m surprised how bad USB cables can be (try a different one). Also, the power source can have an impact. Laptop USB sockets usually struggle to provide higher amounts of amperage. Dedicated USB wall plug adaptors can make a difference …

4 Likes

I had two usb powered devices plugged into a dual plug (1 wall socket with 2 USB outlets- really useful when travelling) and there was really bad hum. Switched out to one where they weren’t sharing and now there’s no hum.

I was genuinely surprised it made such a difference

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, feeling reassured. I’ll give it chances to retune and invest in a quality usb cable just to make sure :+1:

3 Likes

Hey guys,

Please someone help me with this:

I’d like to midi sync Typhon as the master with Crave as the slave. What I’m trying to do with no result is have Typhon play its note sequence and Crave its own sequence. Isn’t that possible and if not, why?

Yeah I had similar issues. It seems you can’t disable sending notes. It will send everything (notes & midi clock - unfortunately no CC) or nothing.

I also had midi loops occurring for some reason despite me having filtered out all notes in my mioXL interface. Not sure why. Now I just don’t use the midi output anymore. I was hoping to record knob movement (CC messages), but it seems that’s not possible anyway.

Hopefully in a future update :slight_smile:

Unfortunately Typhon does not output MIDI clock yet due to a driver issue. This has been addressed and will be released with the next update, we are currently finishing up a few more interesting features and going through testing. It won’t be very long now.

11 Likes

Apparently no noise generator?

Possible to use audio in (nothing plugged) + distortion for that purpose?

Eventually a fast S&H lfo?
Edit : yes, the LFO Chaos Saw and the RANDOM. Are they fast?

(Drum synthesis goal)

1 Like

Yes unfortunately there is no noise generator available. Sending noise through the audio in works well for this purpose since it’s mixed before the filters and in fact it’s been one major reason for adding it.

4 Likes

καλημέρα!

I’m used to boost inputs to make noise with Octatrack inputs, I guess pushing hard Typhon input with distortion can bring some noise, without external noise generator?

I’m about to buy one anyway. Doesn’t seem available. New batch coming?

ευχαριστώ!

2 Likes

Dreadbox have posted images on Instagram of lots of units being made.

I recently bought mine from andertons ( in the uk ) but that may involve customs etc if you aren’t in the uk.

It’s a popular box so I’m sure they’ll want to sell more.

1 Like

You should look at Loopop video, he demonstrates what you want with a radio.

1 Like

I want to know if it’s possible without something plugged, otherwise I can use other noise sources.

A radio is a good idea though.

1 Like

Ok, that’s what you meant when you said Nothing plugged! Reçu 5/5, Joe.

1 Like

I looked at the their site yesterday and saw that they were expecting to ship a new batch in April. Not sure if that is up to date info. That said I went ahead and pre-ordered one to at least get on the waiting list. The last time I had a “let me know when its in stock” notification, between the time I got the email and checked Sweetwater it was already OOS. :man_shrugging:

1 Like