Dreadbox Typhon

I bought mine on October 15th, in France: still received nothing, not even an estimate for the next batch.
@AlexandrosLiarokapis told me big players were in charge of the distribution to small ones, so I guess I should buy directly to Thomann instead of little stores :neutral_face:

A pity.

1 Like

I donā€™t have mine now, but it didnā€™t have a separate noise source. However, it actually makes an AMAZING noise source as a device. With the bit crushing, distortion, etc. you can get some beautiful pitched digital noise, and rhythmic noise patterns out of it. So, not quite what you were looking for, but itā€™s really quite cool in that respect.

I actually just laid out some 1" x 1" white noise source PCBs for some modules that Iā€™m working on. Might be kinda cool to design a tiny case, and maybe power them from an LR/SR-44 watch-style battery for just this sort of application. Iā€™ll have to think about that a bit. :wink:

5 Likes

Maybe Iā€™d be happy with that. :content:

1 Like

Yes, this wonderful little addictive machine gets better and better with every update!!! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Alexandre thank you for clarifying this to me. It was driving me crazyā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi. Getting Typhon in a week or so. Need to buy output cables. Unbalanced or balanced / ts or trs? Effects are stereo right, so I need 2 cables not 2-1 cable?
Chers.

I bought mine 11 octobre on Thomann and received it arrived the 8 of january.
Very happy with it. Nice piece on my AR side for some techno :grinning:

4 Likes

I searched in the manual, but I couldnā€™t find if itā€™s possible or how to set external audio input level?

1 Like

I didnā€™t realize that the Typhon can modulate tempo. Just saw it in this video at the 22 minute mark. Really cool. Those are some wild sounds he gets out of it. Might have to buy one since my local GC has it in stock.

2 Likes

I donā€™t recall it being possible to do so from the Typhon itself, unfortunately.

1 Like

Itā€™s not possible. Itā€™s kind of the opposite. You have VCO level control instead.
External input is always on and fully open.

4 Likes

yesterday i got mineā€¦ my very first impression was: iā€™ll send it back, but thenā€¦ after a while my thoughts changed considerable: itā€™s like a 303 on steroids with a dose of acid

3 Likes

Orderedā€¦

8 Likes

Definitely looking forward to reading what you think of it.

1 Like

:joy::partying_face:

2 Likes

Party time when I receive it. This year I hope. :content:

2 Likes

I think youā€™ll like it a lot.
Itā€™s not without its quirks and limitations (lack of noise source, no sub osc) but the core sound of those oscillators and filter, and the crazy complexity of the mod sequencers, LFOs, plus the hifi, modulatable FX all make up for that.

And the portability is a big bonus.
I typically write sequences with mine while it runs from a small 6700mah battery pack that is velcroā€™d to the side. Using it all around the house. And then when I get back to the studio, I sync it to the OT, and run it into a p-locked compressor thru track for some pseudo side chain. Itā€™s a great OT partner with lots of utility, especially if you wish to take the time to resampling things through its hifi FX processors.

5 Likes

For anyone interested in a battery that fits the side of the Typhon well, I just noticed you can use SALE30 as a 30% off discount code for this battery direct from the manufacturer.
Comes out to around $13

I just bought a third, since I could never find another one that fit so well and backups are good to have!

4 Likes

I ordered one like an hour before you posted that code. Doh!

1 Like

US delivery only apparentlyā€¦