Dreadbox Typhon

I have the same issue. If you ever get to the bottom of it, let me know!

Cheers.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a lot of dry presets in this video. AAAALLL the acid going on:

4 Likes

Godly! Nice jam and that filter definitely sounds good.

Hereā€™s the dry recording of 8 presets, tweaked, no FX outside of HPF tweaks as it is technically in the FX1 section.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for both of these demos! Hearing the raw sound definitely makes me interested in the Typhon over the Minitaur (which still sounds great but is less versatile and costs more).

Not sure Iā€™ll pull the trigger on one (or two :P) today, but if I do decide to grab a monosynth for synth/filter duties itā€™ll definitely be this one! Iā€™ll probably end up doing so soon, gotta figure out some other things in my setup first tho.

2 Likes

I had the Minitaur for a short time, I did like it, but when cranking up the resonance, the sound got way too thin for my tasting. Thatā€™s why I decided to return it.

The Typhon has a similar creamy filter, but doesnā€™t lose that much of body when cranking the resonance. In fact, it is exactly what I look for in a good analog filter.

It is also a lot more powerful with the inbuilt fx and modulation possibilities.

The only thing that was quite unique about the Minitaur that I do miss sometimes in all my other analog gear is the ability to reset the osc phase on each note. That way you can create consistent sounding bass patches with dual oscillators etc. Would love to see that option in more analog synths (like typhon!)

4 Likes

Spotlight on the Typhon

2 Likes

Mod values for oscillator pitches, from loopopā€™s video, then touched up in the FB Typhon group:

5 Likes

Maybe ours were manufactured around the same time. Are your faders white, or (the more common) red? Mine are white. Also, is your serial number around the 1600s?

Iā€™m gonna put this in here again, just because it would turn this little beast into a monster - please can we lock notes in the sequencer to scales please.

5 Likes

Also a catch mode for CC would be great.
Dunno if this is possible. Right now its override and additive ā€¦

Great idea!

1 Like

Just imagine being able to fiddle with those sliders, completely in key, until something worksā€¦

3 Likes

Oh yeah, real live, in scale tweaking with a slider would be sweet.

Been using my Typhon for a few weeks now and have got a few issues which have been bugging meā€¦

1. When I load a brand new init preset, I can hear phasing or some sort of modulation even though Iā€™ve got no effects on?

2. When I press the Filter/Amp EG button on my Typhon, the tone/tuning of my notes sequenced from my Octatrack slightly detunes/changes?

3. When selecting a wave type, Triangle(2) and Saw(2) are noticeably quieter than the other wave types?

Anyone got any ideas or experienced similar issues?

Cheers,
O

Phasing can happen with two oscillators slightly out of sync. Does it happen with only one oscillator ?

Saw has higher level harmonics than triangle, so the sum is higher on saw than on triangle for the same fundamental level. Itā€™s rather common a thing.

1 Like

@olivermcvey Same questionsā€¦

1 Like

re 2: your Typhon most likely needs more current.

1 Like

Got this working. Thanks for the guidance.
Going to love running stuff through this for extra possibilities.

1 Like