Dreadbox Typhon

Faders are white. Serial number in the 600s.

white faders - 19xx

Happy Sunday all.

Quick question (I hope) - can this thing drone without any note input of any kind? Would it require the use of the sequencer or can the Amp it just be ā€œopenā€? Iā€™m curious about one-box drones but Iā€™m still hesitant about the Lyra-8 and this interests me a bit. Seen some lovely videos but I donā€™t want (or need) an external keyboard or sequencer etc. Although I do have a Maschine MK3 and I wonder if they would make good friends in terms of synced recording the Typhon into the Maschine. This thing has MIDI in, right?

It can drone (various ways to achieve this, via the sequencer with a one note ā€˜tieā€™ sequence or an offset on the VCA via one of the 3 modulators)

Should work just fine with NI Maschine and MIDI ā€¦

2 Likes

Anyone got any good ideas for a dust cover for the Typhon? This is definitely a long term keeper so deserves some special treatment.

Only one Iā€™ve found online is US so shipping costs as much as the cover. Iā€™m in the UK. Open to all ideas- the old T-shirt is doing a good job so far but want something more permanent.

Does anyone know how fast the program changes work with the Typhon? If I was sequencing at a fast tempo and changed sounds would it click or lag?

1 Like

cuts the lid and flip the box or use the quick start guide as a cover :package:

The people at Decksaver have been known to act on requests if enough people ask. There must be a few Typhons out in the wild by now.

2 Likes

yeah this is not a ā€˜dryā€™ synth, itā€™s not really where it shines for me. With no sub oscillator, noise generator the dry signal is fairly limited - the modulations and the effects are really what makes this synth unique.

It has midi in - but also an internal sequencer, so you can make a 1 note drone or multiple note drone with slow attack and portamento. The sequencer can be set to 1 note that is tied. And yes you can simply open the amp.

1 Like

It used to lag, but itā€™s now instant since the last update.

1 Like

Fast, without glitch / clics?
Interpolation?
Different transition behavior between analog part and ditigal fx?

I guess some patches can generate some weirdnessā€¦

A filter type change is usually clicky. Only one type with analog, so I guess itā€™s ok. Maybe with fx hipass?

1 Like

Good idea! Iā€™ll send them an email. Thanks

1 Like

Well that was quick!

Theyā€™re requesting a unit and should have one available in a couple of months apparently.

Well done Decksaver!

Theyā€™re pretty responsive. I asked them about covers for the OTO Bim/Bam/Boum and within a few months theyā€™d made them stock items.

Definitely some patches with click glitch a bit depending on the effects/attack used and if you use the sequencer and tied note it can create more of an audible transition, but I move from one drone to another without a glitchā€¦ so in short the design is made to be seamless then you have different usage that might create glitches.

2 Likes

Very true. They said no to a Blofeld cover in about 2 seconds :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks for the confirmation. I was doing my usual ā€œwatch tons of videos and obsess about buying oneā€ but once I saw 10 in stock at Andertons and then it became 3 overnight I just threw caution to the wind and ordered one, itā€™s coming tomorrow.

Sometimes these products have such an overwhelming positive response that it makes it feel like much less of gamble. Iā€™m still frustrated at being tethered to the computer (with Maschine) and Iā€™m hoping I can get some relaxation from this thing in terms of just fiddling for an hour with a pair of headphones for making some drones, ambient sequences and whatever else. I REALLY need to get away from the computer.

Fingers crossed.

1 Like

Two hours plus of the above per session guaranteed.

I hear you, my whole production is off the computer, as I work on the computer all day I want my music creation time to not be in front of a screen!

The typhon is a power house as far as creating sound and definitely a good contender for not even be in the studio and create drone sound and general sound creation. The sequencer is also great so that you can test more than drone and to start melodies which can then be integrated back in your mix. Also keep in mind that it has a really good resale value as the stock are low it resell pretty easily if itā€™s not for you.