Dreadbox Typhon

Ordered the limited edition today - hoping for it to be the one mono synth in my setup and limit need for external effects when pairing with a Digitakt or MNM

2 Likes

Just want to chime in and say how much I love the Typhon, which Iā€™ve had for 5 months or so. I have owned a Minitaur and a4 previously and personally prefer the raw sound of the Typhon than both of these. Add in the sinevibes effects and its properly amazing, and needs little post processing (unlike the Moog). I loved my A4 but donā€™t really miss it since I got the Typhon, simply due to the additional monosynth ground it can cover. Regardless of its cost, itā€™s a genuinely brilliant synth.

4 Likes

damn guys, I should stop reading this thread

10 Likes

Havenā€™t you bought one yet ā€¦ come on ā€¦ join the gang ( cult )

2 Likes

Try it, youā€™ll like it

Edit: this is exactly how I started smoking :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure why I havenā€™t bought this yet. So many cool things about it and it sounds great. Plus itā€™s reasonably priced. Itā€™s not like some $1,000+ purchase that is giving me cold feet.

I think maybe itā€™s that it only has nine knobs. Thatā€™s less than the AS-1 has and I found that to be a menu-diving headache. But this does have faders to make the menu use more enjoyable than on the AS-1. I should just pull the trigger. Worst case I return it or sell for a small loss.

Thanks for listening :slight_smile:

3 Likes

to me this looks more hands on than the AS-1.
As great as it sounded, the menu was no fun

Me too. I am assuming it is not very immediate and that there is a fair bit of menu diving. Yup. There sure is. Mm hmm.

Pretty accurate. Itā€™s surprising how playable the sliders controlling various things in the ā€œmenuā€ can be during a performance.
Iā€™ll ride a single stepā€™s note octave often.

For me itā€™s a great combination of accessible synthesis, incredibly deep modulation (up to 189 simultaneous modulations), and portability. And no concessions were made on just how huge it sounds (synthesis and effects) or how capable the sequencer is.
Hard to knock it.

6 Likes

hahahahahahaā€¦

no.

no pressure, thoughā€¦ :rofl:

2 Likes

Has anyone taken the Typhonā€™s top off yet?! Iā€™m wondering about whether I could simply take it off, measure it, get a new ā€œlidā€ cut with a completely different silkscreen design. Custom fascias that are actually metal, not some sticker could be another advantage of the Typhon.

1 Like

itā€™s just the best in so many ways.
sounds soo good.
really broad palette.
them fx.
the ridiculous amount of modulation.
sequencer.
that price.
damn.

n I get a real SH vibe off it at times. for me itā€™s like a next gen 101/202 at certain settings, which make me very happy.

if they add scales itā€™ll be my favourite mono of all time. and itā€™s pretty close already.

7 Likes

:heavy_plus_sign: :one:

7 Likes

Iā€™ve taken the top off as I had to replace the screen. Once you unscrew the knobs and take those off, the top panel comes off quite easily.

nice. Yeah it looks and sounds superb.
I do everything with maschine lately. Elektrons are parked in the closet mostly since I bought maschine :upside_down_face:

Iā€˜m very productive but some hands on little synth that adds some mojo from the real world could be a great addition.

5 Likes

So the Typhon arrived today. Only had a little time so far to sequence it with my DT and dive into the modulation but itā€™s really nice. The effects are pretty huge and combined with the girthy oscillators itā€™s quite a beast. Havenā€™t been able to update it yet and itā€™s only on 2.1 but going to do that later. As of this old firmware the MIDI drift is severe - the internal sequencer goes out of time with the DT almost immediately.

EDIT: I made a little video showcasing my first patch with the Typhon which is being sequenced by the Digitakt. Drums are from the Digitakt, both are running separately into Ableton Live with a tiny bit of saturation and into Waves J37 on a relatively transparent patch. Itā€™s achingly derivative of Boards of Canada but I just had to share it!

11 Likes

Got an email from synthesizer.gr saying the first batch of the copper and black edition is sold out, but there will be more to come around the end of March

2 Likes

New presets demo

3 Likes

Couldnā€™t resist :smiley:

Got one.

5 Likes

Ordered my black&gold Friday and received Monday - great fast shipping and handling (to Denmark)

4 Likes