Dreadbox Typhon

It really is, but in the end I ended up using the DN/DT knobs. They have the perfect color/size/feel…

1 Like

Agree but those are very hard to find, or they come in sets of 8 and are too expensive. Where did you find yours? Maybe I am looking in the wrong place…

I think init patch is not 100% blank. Iirc correctly there is a 30 point depth set for the wave destination in one of the modulations. Which explains the PWM effect.

1 Like

my init patches are all LVL = 0 for all destinations :thinking:
And i’m pretty certain it’s the dual saw waveform in the init, as well.

But yea, sounds like VCOs :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thank! it looks like I mistakenly thought that there is not enough energy to power the yamaha mdbt

1 Like

Hey, did you find a solution? I have a similar issue, but in my experience, I didn’t find that related to reverb.

Did you update to the latest firmware? There was a fix related to that (or at least similar) problem

1 Like

Hi,
I had the same issue! reported here.
My personal solution: I have downgraded the firmware to a previous bug free version and waited for firmware 3. I don’t have this bug anymore.

I got mine a few days ago with firmware 3 already installed. Sometimes I touch the enclosure/knobs/sliders and a crazy loud white noise bursts out. This is a dream synth, but i’m terrified of using it because of this issue.

I was also terrified :scream_cat:! the white noise sound was so loud and brutal that for a while I didn’t dare to use the instrument anymore!
This is a serious and rare bug. I hope they will find a fix, but in the meanwhile you should try to install an older version 2.0.1 and then update to the last 3.1.1.

Yeah, I was using headphones and got that noise which is so much louder than a preset I was working on, and well, heard ringing in my ears for some time after that.
I contacted dreadbox support and I was told that that might be a powering issue. Did you power yours into the wall outlet?
I want to perform live with this thing and i’m afraid that it’s gonna blow someone ears out there :weary:

I don’t get any random and crazy noise bursts other than the occasional one when powering up but many years of working with amplifiers has made sure that I always have volume on my soundcard at 0 when turning it on. I’m exclusively powering via USB from a brick, not the wall.

I also have the phasing init patch quirk and can confirm all modulation depths are 0 across the board.

The one on power-up is also annoying. But I think that I don’t get that one if I push encoder on startup. if I wait instead, this sound might occur.

I have purchased one of the first 100 units with the first firmware installed. The issue appeared only with firmware 2.0.2. After testing with all kind of power supply, I can confirm that is a software issue, probably with the FXs.

Well, maybe my problem is a whole another thing… but i try to play around with firmware and maybe find a pattern.

So last night I played around with the Pitch Shifter in tandem with the L Reverb. Holy moly! With subtle settings the pitch shift effect adds subtle shimmer effects to the reverb! I was underwhelmed by the pitch shift algorithm for a while because it sounds so brittle and digital, a bit like the Zoom MS-70CDR or Line 6 effects, but with the pitch set to say, +12 on L and +24 on R, the damping turned down to tame the high frequencies, the feedback low and a very low mix (like 10 tops) you get a soft bed of both octaves mixing in with the massive reverb. Heavenly!

10 Likes

How do you setup the FX on the Typhon? I found it is quite critical engaging the FX, just or two values to much on mix-levels and it becomes a mess

1 Like

Send a message to support, the hardware team has done a lot of research on the sudden noise bursts, it’s usually due to the codec that we are using which is sensitive to voltage flactuations. Support is handled by the hardware team so they should be able to help. Also make sure you are using the latest firmware.

9 Likes

I already messaged them a few days ago. They told me that it is definitely a powering issue. I still hope that it is not :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I installed 3.1.1 today.
Btw is it normal that synths and gear in my room give me a little shock? I might work for hours and go grab a drink or whatever and then when I come back and touch the first piece of gear or laptop i get a small single shock. As a static electricity discharge or something. I know that it can damage circuits but i believe that most gear today is insulated right? Maybe Typhon does that noise thing as a reaction to that?

I’m not an electrician but getting a little shock doesn’t sound good to me. I used to get it from an old electric guitar I had and it was because it wasn’t earthed properly IIRC