Dreadbox Typhon

I apologize if this is a dumb question but my sound-design skills are non-existing and I’m a bit confused: I’m using an initial patch with all Modulators and Fx set to 0, but I’m still getting some modulation on the sound and I have no idea where it’s coming from. I recorded a short video to exemplify, any tips on what’s happening here?

Maybe filter envelope ?

I stopped using the Typhon for a couple of weeks because I was focusing on samples however once paired with a nice external sequencer the Typhon really comes alive for me. I have to say I don’t like assigning CC values on the Typhon, I find it too awkward, but that’s clearly my issue rather than the hardware. I just like having it on the desk as a solid analogue oscillator source for sequencing and sampling.

No, I double checked and it’s completely turned counter clockwise.

Does it modulate on every Wave or only when the Wave selector is on a Dual VCO? If you’re on a Dual VCO, this is a common Analog behavior. It’s a Phase thing.

2 Likes

Things to check:

• Are you sending any CC via Midi?
  • Is TUNE 2 set to 0?
  • Does it happen with single oscillator modes? E.g. Saw 2 or Square 1?
  • Typhon’s modulators support multiple targets, perhaps check that all the modulator destination levels are ALL set to 0 (not negative or positive) by moving the DEST slider and check as you scroll the slider.
1 Like

It doesn’t happen on single oscillator modes, that’s it! So I guess it’s the 2 different waveforms modulating eachother, right?

2 Likes

Yes, in the FM oscillator mode you have oscillator 2 (triangle) modulating the oscillator 1 (square). The modulation amount is controlled by the TUNE 2 knob.

It happens even with other combinations of waveforms, though!

What you’re hearing in the two-oscillator modes is one oscillator “beating” against the other. It results from them being tuned slightly differently, which produces a difference in phase that varies slightly over time.

5 Likes

Thank you for the explanation, it makes sense now.

It can also sound rather lovely too, if you like that sort of thing.

1 Like

Anyone has bag or cases recommendation for the Typhon ?

Maybe a Volca case?

nice and fancy - right, I guess it’s a very similar size.

1 Like

A friend of mine just printed me a decksaver with his 3D printer. Told me it cost him less than 50 cts.
It’s rather brute, but fits perfectly.

Find yourself a 3D printer!

2 Likes

Would you share the 3D file(s)?

Picture?
Maybe with some sanding…

I have one, it’s too small for the Typhon

1 Like

2 Likes