Dreadbox Typhon

Haaa, that’s better! :nerd_face:

In case someone else is interested… It’s really easy to replace. Be careful tho I accidentally broke the glass screen protector when I unglued it.

3 Likes

Finished or test?

lol just a test!
I’ll make a black case for the screen but I’m busy building stands for all my synths atm :wink:

1 Like

So is it bigger? Why did you replaced the screen?

It’s wayyyy bigger. Same size as DT/DK (and most Elektron screens, I believe).
The reason is shitty eyes. I mean, eyes are perfect, but got lazy and weak eyeballs muscles. I get headhaches in a second (and I mean, a second) with a screen that small.

1 Like

Possible side by side comparison?
(moi c’est plutôt la presbytie !)

2 Likes

Sorry I don’t have two Typhons (yet… :upside_down_face:)

3 Likes

I can never unsee this and I will be forever jealous. :heart:

2 Likes

Indeed. Thanks!

any room to hack this into the case or will it have to sit on top?

1 Like

Theres’ plenty of room inside for the screen, I’m pretty sure it can fit easily.

1 Like

In my experience, the Typhon excels at power, dirt, mutation and depth, and the surprises that come from glitch effects and sequencing in the same box as a monosynth. It can fill much of the same register of the Sirin but has a very different character and palette.

The Sirin, by contrast, has a classic and infinitely usable sound that is as right as it is familiar. I don’t add it for abstract expressionist character, but for fluted and rounded body. It finds its way into the frequency range of a track instantly. The stages of the envelopes aren’t as complex or quirky as the Typhon, but all of that makes the two synths perfect to combine.

Before I received my Typhon, I foolishly asked on the FB Typhon usergroup whether combining it with a Sirin would be as redundant as that seemed on paper. I asked because my experience with combining vintage synths in recording studios has taught me not to rule out combinations that only seem redundant for generic technical reasons.

The predictable answers came as they always do; parroting obvious truths, and oblivious to the fact I’d factored the obvious into a nuanced question. Ultimately, I quit that group because it wasn’t helpful to me.

I got my answer soon enough when my Typhon arrived.

In real life, I love combining the Typhon and Sirin. I do so regularly, just as I use four-part unison mode on a polysynth. The Typhon’s power and filthiness, grounded by the Sirin’s definition and presence, often make for an ideal bassline. Either one will do, but both are often best.

If I had to do with one or the other, I would have to choose between classic or experimental options. Both can do either, but for my uses, each excels at one.

9 Likes

That’s an excellent answer, and a good reminder to everyone not to focus on theoretical overlap. Thank you.

1 Like

Is that a Benidub Echo to the right? Colour me most envious if it is!

All their stuff seems great fun, solidly engineered and pretty much unobtanium (in Australia).

Yep it is. It’s built like a tank, the knobs are extremely pleasant to touch, and it’s rally fun to play with.
They just released a v2, it may help you get one.
https://www.benidub.com/index.php/home/digital-echo/

2 Likes

Hey there! I finally managed to get my hands on a Typhon. Love the sound so far, but I find that the encoder is a bit stiff and unpleasant to turn. Has anyone switched it to another one? Or maybe I should be the first to try that. :slight_smile:

The Elektron knob is actually pretty nice. Way easier to twist.

6 Likes

Totally with you on this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was thinking about the feel of the actual encoder that the knob attaches to, so to speak. :slight_smile: I think I’ll open it up and take a look. I have some encoders at home already, so let’s see if some of them have the same height and shaft type.

The knobs on the other hand have a great buttery feel to them in my opinion.

1 Like

trying to update again (to 3.11) on mac
last time it sort of worked (showing contents and running the script) as i’m on 10.13.6

on 3.11 that method no longer works. and my pc doesn’t recognise the typhon in any of the many usb ports… will try other ways… :frowning:

seemed work work on my work pc laptop,… eventually.