Dreadbox Typhon

Very beautiful!

2 Likes

Thank you very much! I feel we need more videos demonstrating the sweeter side of the Typhon, I know it excels at gnarly but it can do pretty too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Question:

When I use high gain on the distortion with low cutoff amount, I hear a pretty loud digital souding noise that is apparently being amplified by the distortion. After holding down a note for long enough that it eventually stops playing, a gate kicks in and the noise disappears.

When I raise the cutoff, the noise gets masked by the oscillator sound.

I thought that maybe the USB was introducting this noise throught a ground loop or something, but the noise is also there when I connect the Typhon to a power bank instead of a socketā€¦

It is not that big of a deal, I can live with it, but I would like to know if this is normal behavriour, or I may have a defective unit? Can anyone test this out?

To test this: load an initialized patch, set the osc to a single saw, lower the cutoff to nearly the bottom and raise the distortion gain + mix parameter to max and play some notes.

Would be great if some of you could test this with their units and report back the results :slight_smile:

I just connected my Typhon directly to my MacBookā€™s USB port for the first time. It doesnā€™t show up as a device in MIDI Studio. Am I missing something, or is there really no MIDI over USB?

I have a Typhon on the way. On Thomann it was stated that it supports midi usb but in some post shopping googling I learned that it is not supported yet but should be coming in a firmware update this summer. It is a little annoying to advertise features that are not currently supported.

1 Like

No midi over usb. Just via din for the moment.

2 Likes

Just wanted to add to this - I have received my Typhon and despite a lot of experimentation with different cables, direct connections, powered hubs, non-powered hubs - I have not been able to get rid of the crazy USB noise. I have 20+ other synths and device connected to my Mac without any issues. I can make it work with a USB phone power adapter, but if you (like me) had planed to use the USB midi it is worth considering.

By now Dreadbox should know about this issue and have started to ship the unit with a USB charger in the box. This will just create a lot of unhappy customers IMO.

Yeah had the same with the micromonsta. a simple phone adapter works tho!

1 Like

ā€˜crazy USB noiseā€™: do you mean sudden and very loud white noise? if so itā€™s not your cablesā€™ fault. i suspect itā€™s a bug deep in the fx code. for this reason i am not using the typhon as much as i would likeā€¦

Connected mine directly to the iMac to power it with the included USB cable and the iMac plugged directly to wall plug.
No noise at all actually.
Need to try again once I move the iMac again to the studio setup to see if Iā€™ll get noise floor.

About the usb charger, from the manual:

Most homes nowadays have at least a dozen or so USB cables and power adapters lying around (from smart- phones, computers, printers, and other devices), so we didnā€™t think there was a point including one with the Typhon and adding to the environmental waste.

About the usb noise, always from the manual:

So, youā€™re thinking, ā€œCan I use any USB power supply?ā€
Yes, but there are some things you need to consider. Not having a dedicated power adapter means that de- pending on the USB power supply quality or your connection, could result in a dirty synth or noise floor. You can easily avoid those situations though, by following these simple rules:
-When you turn the Typhon on, there is a burst of noise occurring. This is normal and to encounter it, make sure you have the level of your monitor/amp turned off.
-Power the Typhon and all the devices connected to it, from the same mains power line. You should especially avoid using different mains (for example a mains line for Typhon and a different one for your amp/monitor) that have internal protection circuit. This can produce a constant noise generation from the output of the synthesizer, which can only be eliminated by reseting the unit.
-When powering the Typhon from a computer, if you use a DAW to process the unitā€™s audio, a ground loop can be created, causing a noticeable hum. In that case, you should power the Typhon from a different power supply, and not from the same computer that youā€™re running the DAW on.
-Using a very long USB cable can also cause line noise. For cleaner sounding performance itā€™s also better to use a USB cable that has a ferrite bead installed.
-Make sure your USB power adapter is rated for at least 500mA - Poor quality USB power adapters should be avoided.
-And as mentioned above, when using a power bank, make sure itā€™s a good quality one. You can also power a keyboard controller with the same power bank.

I think that they were quite fair about this topic.

3 Likes

Sounds like a old modem going crazy. No, I think it is just sub optimal hardware design. Never had an issue with another device - even the ones where I use USB audio as well.

Iā€™m sure I used mine with my iMac and had no noise.

This issue crops up a lot but I think itā€™s an inherent issue with usb power shared on Roland boutiques and lots of other items.
And if thereā€™s no usb plug included I donā€™t mind , I have a few around and theyā€™re very cheap ā€¦ much cheaper than old style power supplies were ( and much smaller and lighter )

Not sure why it works for some and not others. As I said I have tried all possible error sources. No luck, Looking at forum threads it seems to be a widespread issues and again, no problem with any of my 20+ usb devices (I am only using USB MIDI).
Fine to state it in a manual, but I guess many of us are not reading the manual before buying.
Anyway, not a biggie for me. I can just take a MIDI din from one of my other boxes, but for some it might be a showstopper. Actually just wanted to mention it to the guy above that wanted to use usb midi.

Earthed USB power brick. I have a few USB powered synths. I tried powering typhon and nts1 with my laptop and mpc live and had noise issues. I used a usb phone charger for a while. Before acquiring Micromonsta 2 I bought an earthed power hub. I would have opted for a noise isolator, like I used with the op1 several synths ago, if I didnā€™t have so many usb powered things.

Edit: I agree they should include a plug

On the positive side. A perfect fit in the gear tetris I have going on. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

did you already try another USB cable? Sometimes using a very cheap dodgy one solves these things. Or the other way around: an isolated oneā€¦either way, try a few different cablesā€¦

1 Like

Tried 7 or 8 of different types without any luck before I gave up. As I can use my phone charger I think I will just leave it at that and make some real noise (not usb noise ) :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s what I get when using unbalanced cable from instruments to my Motu828mk2 FW connected to the iMac. Even moving the mouse gives noise like a modem into the audio monitors.
As soon as I use balanced cables, the problem goes away.

2 Likes

Thanks. I might try that at some point. For now I have just hooked it up from the Pro 1 MIDI through. Works without issues. Also manage to update firmware without something exploding.

Use an USB isolator and your issue will be gone. I have this one: https://hifimediy.com/product/usb-isolator-high-current/ and it works wonders.

Ground loops are very common with USB devices, I had the same issue with OPZ, NTS1, blue box, MM2 and all were solved with this.

5 Likes