Dreadbox Typhon

I suddenly found that the oscillator mix set to single saw produces a very unstable saw sound. It even seems like there is aliasing going on or something, but after some testing I dont think that is actually the case. It sounds like the saw pitch is slightly modulated by noise or something.

Is this normal behaviour? Can anyone please test or even better: post an audio snippet of the sound of a single saw?

Judging by the amount of people who have reported this issue in the thread (myself included) I believe this is currently normal behaviour for the Typhon.

1 Like

Ok cool thnx

Contacted Dreadbox. They responded almost immediately and are sending me out a new display. It is apparently a mysterious defect with the part which affects 0.2-0.3% of them.
Very happy with their response. Unfortunate to be without a screen for a bit, but I have found that I can blindly navigate well enough to still have a good time on the synth until the part arrives.

11 Likes

Dreadbox support is first class!

10 Likes

For real.

Hi all and sofware savvy, any tips to be able to convert backuped preset files (on MAC or PC) into readable files such as XML please ? The files i’m talking about are 0.typhonpr up to 255.typhonpr.
Thanks a lot.

Ive got the Dreadbox for a small month now; after buying/selling multiple synths…
Holy shit. A sweetspot machine indeed!

Quite new to sound design but I’ve got to say; even without deep diving in the manual I was able to get sounds I’d never expected. Really randomizable stuff.

Not quite sure what the Filter Time / Amp Time knobs really do; but other than that… wow.

1 Like

Those knobs are macros for the time parameters of the Filter and Amp envelopes, those are Attack, Decay and Release. You move them all at the same time.
In the middle you get the envelope as you designed it in its dedicated page, and with the knobs your can increase or decrease all the time parameters by turning right or left.

4 Likes

Has anyone found a better solution? I have a similar issue, i have an OT controlling all my synths and like that it sends start/stop messages to my rytm, but hate that the typhon then starts playing its internal sequence. Would love to disable this as a global setting in the typhon…

Is this possible in any way?

i prefer the original colors too!
would have been cooler if the limited would have been black + gold/truly copper

How do you ‘unarm’ the sequencer?

I may be misremembering (or not understanding your issue), but I’m pretty sure the sequencer doesn’t start with the clock set to ‘external’ unless the sequencer is armed (i.e. the ‘play’ button has been pressed and is lit). That’s how it works with Live set as my master clock. You could also use a midi router like the Mio to filter start/stop signals.

3 Likes

The first time I press play having turned everything on I just press ‘stop’ on the Typhon sequencer and it doesn’t react to the DT transport buttons anymore.

2 Likes

It’s been asked before, but anyone heard anything more from dreadbox about typhon supporting midi CC out? Currently trying to find a way to route all of my audio through those beautiful filters and effects, and would love to be able to record the automation directly and playback/tweak as needed

I could also just record the moves live with other hardware sent in via cc, but the feel of the typhon knobs is just too good, plus I would have to map it all in the first place

1 Like

Would love to know this as well

Hey does your MPC one detect the Typhon using midi over USB? Mine doesn’t super weird.

The Typhon doesn’t do USB midi yet, so no, it won’t.

1 Like

I just got mine, and I’m a little confused by the lack of on/off switch. Do you just…unplug it when you’re done? I’m powering mine by running the USB cable in to an Apple butt that’s plugged in to my wall.

Indeed, this has been mentioned in this thread. I’m not a fan of a lack of a power switch, my Behringer mixer is similar in that respect. I’ll pull out the power cord at night and it’ll fall down the back of my desk. Takes a contortion act to bring it back up the back. :stuck_out_tongue: