Dreadbox Typhon

I got a couple of USB extension cables with built-in on/off buttons for the Typhon and other devices without their own power switches and that solved the problem.

5 Likes

Iā€™d rather disable the screensaver, but is it really to save the screen, or is it just to save power?

Reason I wanā€™t to turn it off, is because everytime I havenā€™t touched the Typhon for a while, I have to ā€˜enableā€™ the controls by pressing a knob. So it is not possible to start/stop the sequencer with 1 press on a button. You have to press once to stop the screensaver and then press another time to start/stop the sequencerā€¦ This is not ideal in a live situationā€¦

But I also donā€™t want to burn the screenā€¦

Yeah itā€™s a screen thing, these are definitely not the longest-lived screen (oled)

Ok so I just have to live with itā€¦ thanks

Greetings everyone! New here - just picked up my first Elektron (Digitone), but also a Dreadbox Typhon. Anyone know if the Typhon can do Key Trigger with itā€™s own onboard sequencer while receiving MIDI clock from my Digitone (or any other controller like an MPC)? I love some of the Typhon presetā€™s sequencer patterns, but Iā€™m having trouble getting them to play when I have my Typhon set to receive Master Clock externally.

• EDIT: never mind - figured it out.
1 Like

Nice set of sounds here.

1 Like

I just ordered one!
My first hardware synth! Looking forward to it :slight_smile:
Im a total synth noob so i aim to learn some synthesis on it, initially was looking at Neutron but the compact size and awesome sound made me chose Typhon.

7 Likes

Good choice! It whoops the neutron in all forms.

Top advice:

Record everything you do with it and be sure to muck about with the cloud and shifter fx a whole bunch. You can lfo assign all deez tings!

2 Likes

Iā€™m considering buying a relatively cheap hardware synth and just learnt about the Typhon, modulation looks very powerful but it looks a bit menu divey. How does it compare to the Roland Se-02 or Novation Mono station? Guess sound wise its way more powerful but what about hands on control?

I donā€™t think itā€™s any less immediate than either of those. Sure, there are some menus, but itā€™s very quick to get where you want to go and you arenā€™t diving through layers. And the physical controls are very performance oriented. The menus are more for setting up lfos, sequences, and fx. Once you have those set, you can really concentrate on the knobs. The sound is fantasticā€“youtube videos donā€™t do it justice.

5 Likes

Just get it - absolutely fantastic synth for the price. Menu diving isnā€™t terrible (as said, itā€™s really just to set things up - the main knobs are where youā€™ll spend most of your time). Probably my favorite mono synth of all time.

3 Likes

agreed on the above points. i have both the se-02 and typhon, and the typhon is way more fun to use, even with the menu diving.

4 Likes

Yeah, Typhon is great and sounds amazing. Iā€™ve had A4, several basstations, Minitaur, and the Typhon sounds better to my ears than all of them. Thatā€™s probably a lot to do with effects, which are great and can be dialled in to really enhance / meld with the patch; which somehow feels more integral than sending the sound through an external effect traditionally.

3 Likes

You can actually temporarily disable the screensaver from the settings or set the timeout value to something large like 10 minutes.

3 Likes

The effects on this thing take it to another level. Itā€™s unreal how good and versatile this sounds, let alone for the price. Maybe my favorite effects in a synth.

5 Likes

Been looking at this unit more and more. Any sound demos out there that are more dry? Most I have seen are drenched in reverb and delay for the more ambient style sounds. I know itā€™s a versatile machine and can probably cover a wide range, would be interested to hear some more.

1 Like

Here are two that @AdamJay posted for me a while back (click them to reveal the actual audio samples):

2 Likes

Hi all, the version 4.0 beta is out! Main highlights are:

• USB Midi
  • USB Audio! :wink:

We also include a fix for the occasional noise burst on startup.

Have a nice summer everyone!

39 Likes

:heart::heart::heart::heart:

2 Likes