Dreadbox Typhon

Did you use it with Bank Select? (CC1)

If you register Bank MSB information in your sequencer(DAW) it works.

My Typhonā€™s display just messed up!!! :sleepy:

All black, nothingā€¦ the Typhon is still recognized from the updater ā€¦ i can do a backup ā€¦ buttons work but not the display

some of you have had the same experience?

1 Like

Yeah I had the same thing, they donā€™t know what the problem is yet happened to a few peeps.

I wouldnā€™t update peoples!

1 Like

Was your screensaver active?

I had this when powering over USB from a desktop computer but not from a laptop or standalone USB PSU - maybe check with different power sources and see if theyā€™re sending enough amps?

@DoS could be onto something. From the manual:

Iā€™m about to get one so Iā€™d be interested to see if itā€™s a USB power thing or a critical bug :grimacing:

I updated via Mac last night, no issues though there was some usb noise when using it in ableton ( though the audio wav was clean ) ā€¦ it didnā€™t surprise me though.

Mac book pro 2011 I think ( old ) - electron usb cable direct to Mac USB port.

No screen issues though the black text on the typhon app was quite unreadable

When I had the power issue from the desktop USB I had exactly the first set of symptoms - both the logos appeared, and then a black screen but with lights responding to button pushes etc.

1 Like

Are you getting bug reports and responding to them? Iā€™ve emailed reports to the ā€œserviceā€ address as indicated but no one is answering. USB Audio not working in Ableton Live 10 Lite, nor Reason 11 or 12, not on Akai MPC Live II. And CC-program change isnā€™t working, and neither is CC-automation control.

This release is super buggy and support doesnā€™t answer. Strongly recommend people sit this one out.

*EDIT: ok, CC-Program/change/control issue was user error - sorry about that! But USB-Audio issues are still a bust. Hoping support at least responds to those issues.

Just to balance, here I did the update to the latest beta with an iMac27ā€ (~mid 2011), connected with the original Typhon USB cable and tested with Ableton Live 9.x.

Everything perfect and smooth, audio via usb and midi are completely fine, no issues at all.

I would note ā€¦.

Itā€™s beta
Iā€™d say the akai is a weird one and that pc/max and perhaps iOS are the main candidates for class compliant usb audioā€¦ though in theory akai should fit, but perhaps that device is causing the problem ? I appreciateā€™class compliant ā€˜ has a set of standards to hit ā€¦

Iā€™m sure there are tweaks to come , hence the BETA flag. And even then there are usually uodates with everything released these day.

1 Like

thx for the reply ā€¦ when i updated to the beta everything went fine - one or two hours later it went black ā€¦ btw sound is still coming out of it

i have a usb-power plug with enough power under the hood, tested a bunch of cables including the original

maybe my display is defect ā€¦ however one thing i can do is to downgrade the OS ā€¦ just for testing

if this doesnā€™t help iā€™ll have to contact dreadbox

just checked it out after downgradingā€¦ it has to be the displayā€¦ :unamused:

Ouf; not so good - best contact Dreadbox - my experience with their support has always been helpful (though they might be on holiday in Athens right now!)

Akaiā€™s USB Class Compliance on MPC requires the interface to run at 44.1 Khz for performance reasons. It would appear that regrettably Typhon is locked at 48 Khz, so unless Dreadbox/Sinevibes fix this, then Typhon will never work (via USB-Audio) on the current gen MPCā€™s, which sucks big time. Oh well, at least I can use USB-MIDI and power my Typhon from my MPC Live II and only need to bring the USB cable and some quarter inch cables. Small steps, Sparks.

I use Logic Pro X. Banks MSB 0-3. Program change 0-64.

How does one setup audio over usb with ableton on windows? I cant seem to find the audio inputsā€¦

Do you have your existing audio interface set to 48 Khz? It should show up under Ableton Liveā€™s Preferences => Audio under Driver Type and Audio Input.

yeah its at 48Khz. Doesnā€™t show up as an audio interface. Thanks; ill route it with audiocables for now.

Likely a defective screen. Happened to me as well a few months ago. Dreadbox responded promptly and said the defect affects 0.5% of displays or something. They sent a replacement out right away and all is well in the world.

Good luck. Simple enough to replace it. No soldering or anything.

3 Likes